The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxford or Cambidge or not?

Is it worth me reapplying to Oxford or Cambridge?

I applied to read History and Economics last year at Oxford, was interviewed then rejected (messed up one interview).

I would be applying either for Economics at Cambridge or E&M at Oxford.

GCSE- 8A* 2As
A Levels- A*A*A in Maths, economics and history respectively
AS - AA in English lit and EPQ

Currently holding an offer to do Economics at Bristol.

Is it also worth applying to UCL/LSE?? (Didn't do that last time)

Matt
naylor?
Reply 2
ucl is not bad
Original post by MattEconomics

I applied to read History and Economics last year at Oxford, was interviewed then rejected (messed up one interview).

GCSE- 8A* 2As

Matt

You have definitely got the grades for it, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee you a place, and you would forfeit your place at bristol if you reapplied. It might be worth it, if you ring up bristol to see if they will automatically make you another offer :biggrin:

GCSE- 8A* 2As

Matt

Without knowing your UMS for each A-level subjects, your profile is not very strong without Further Maths , especially if you're applying post A-level. Though i't's not a required subjects in applying, officially, in reality large majority of competitive candidates have it with very high UMS under their belt.
Economics at Cambridge is one of the most competitive courses there and in UK, you need to find a way to improve your application profile if you decide to go ahead with your plan.

LSE's economics is as competitive as Cambridge's. UCL is also a narrow gate to get into.
(edited 8 years ago)
x

You could always defer your place to Bristol and reapply during a gap year?

Not though that the acceptance rate for straight economics courses at Oxford and Cambridge are very low (at Oxford around 7%).

For Oxford (I don't know much about Cambridge):
With those grades I think you stand a very good chance. What would determine whether or not you get an interview is the TSA. If you can score well there you should be invited for interview (which is the most crucial factor within your application).
Original post by vincrows
Without knowing your UMS for each A-level subjects, your profile is not very strong without either Further Maths or Economics, especially if you're applying post A-level. Though they're not the required subjects in applying, officially, in reality large majority of competitive candidates have them with very high UMS under their belt.
Economics at Cambridge is one of the most competitive courses there and in UK, you need to find a way to improve your application profile if you decide to go ahead with your plan.

LSE's economics is as competitive as Cambridge's. UCL is also a narrow gate to get into.

He has Economics at A2. Oxford's website says nothing about requiring further maths, they only as for maths.

The whole issue with UMS scores in Cambridge specific so I can't really comment on that.
Original post by colourtheory
He has Economics at A2. Oxford's website says nothing about requiring further maths, they only as for maths.

The whole issue with UMS scores in Cambridge specific so I can't really comment on that.

Sorry I realised that and edited the post.
Sorry I realised that and edited the post.

I'm not sure that further maths is actually that important at all, I have friends studying E&M in my college who didn't do it.
FM not necessary for E&M but strongly encouraged for LSE/Cambridge

GCSE- 8A* 2As

Matt

No I wouldn't. Go to Bristol and get a first - Oxbridge is too risky.
Original post by colourtheory
I'm not sure that further maths is actually that important at all, I have friends studying E&M in my college who didn't do it.
for Cambridge's econ, yes. It's not a required subject as i said but majority of competitive applicants have both maths and FM. Probably different from Oxford.
for Cambridge's econ, yes. It's not a required subject as i said but majority of competitive applicants have both maths and FM. Probably different from Oxford.

Thanks for clarifying :smile:
Thanks everyone for your posts, been a very interesting read (and somewhat conflicting which is cool).

Assuming I went on with Bristol and achieved (fingers crossed) a first class degree.

Would a masters at Oxford/LSE/UCL be achievable? Bearing in mind that the Bristol course is extremely quantitative.

Because that'd also be 4 years (same time frame) and is a less risky option?? :O decisions decisions!!
Thanks everyone for your posts, been a very interesting read (and somewhat conflicting which is cool).

Assuming I went on with Bristol and achieved (fingers crossed) a first class degree.

Would a masters at Oxford/LSE/UCL be achievable? Bearing in mind that the Bristol course is extremely quantitative.

Because that'd also be 4 years (same time frame) and is a less risky option?? :O decisions decisions!!

It should be fine :smile:

Postgraduate admission is quite different from undergrad courses. To apply for a Master's at Cambridge, yes, you need a very high 2.1. at least, preferably a first, but also you need very strong reference. (usually 2 of them).
And you'll be studying much narrow field of the subject, you need to research which university offers a course that you want to specialize in. Cambridge's (and possibly Oxfords? idk...) economics (both undergrad and postgrad) is much more theoretical and academic than other universities Economics. it's important you choose the course because you like the uni, not because of the name.
Also, please remember Oxbridge is NEVER be all and end all. You can decide those things towards the end of your second year at Bristol. Don't set you heart on any particular uni to firmly before you check all those things.
And you do not (should not) decide what you're going to do for a master (or if you want to, for that matter) until you're second year in undergraduate because your interest in subject may change.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending