The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Do undergrads get access to Office 365 for free?

I've tried searching but I can't find an answer. Also, do you think it's worth buying?
Original post by Hedgehogkilla
I've tried searching but I can't find an answer. Also, do you think it's worth buying?

Yes, you do. Well, I got office 2013, which I think is the same thing. Basically, you get the permanent offline version rather than the monthly subscription version.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
You get a free subscription to Office 365 Professional until you graduate - Mac, Windows, online, mobile, OneDrive etc.
Reply 3
How do you get this free subscription? Thanks
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/software/microsoft

I am not a Warwick student and I managed to find the link on the site. What does this tell you about your sheer laziness?
Reply 5
Original post by Liv1415
How do you get this free subscription? Thanks

You log into your email, and on the top right under options or so you'll find settings and then something like 'Available Software'. It takes a little bit of exploring!

Original post by callum_law
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/software/microsoft

I am not a Warwick student and I managed to find the link on the site. What does this tell you about your sheer laziness?

The rudeness isn't necessary. It's a pretty convoluted process in itself that many people aren't aware of. And you must have a log in of some description, since that page requires you to sign into your ITS account. In which case, the original questioner would not have found it - hardly their fault.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jrs971
You must have a log in of some description, since that page requires you to sign into your ITS account.

I must have? No, the link was listed on this site (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/software/list/#Windows).
Reply 7
I must have? No, the link was listed on this site (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/software/list/#Windows).

Yes. We all know you can get it - which is all that page tells you and everyone else has said. The user asked how. The answer of which is you can't until you log in to your Exchange email account and access it via the Available software panel.
Original post by jrs971
Yes. We all know you can get it - which is all that page tells you and everyone else has said. The user asked how. The answer of which is you can't until you log in to your Exchange email account and access it via the Available software panel.

From the Warwick site:

Note the italicised How part and the link here (which links to the login page you're talking about). Yes, quite clearly, what I presented did not answer the how question considering the website says the link explains how. Eloquent argument. You incorrectly reasoned I must be a Warwick student and you're trying to clutch at straws to bring me down a peg. It won't work.
Reply 9
From the Warwick site:

Note the italicised How part and the link here (which links to the login page you're talking about). Yes, quite clearly, what I presented did not answer the how question considering the website says the link explains how. Eloquent argument. You incorrectly reasoned I must be a Warwick student and you're trying to clutch at straws to bring me down a peg. It won't work.

This really seems a futile and somewhat pointless argument. You linked to a page that required a login, and simultaneously said you weren't a student. That was all. Chill. If you aren't a student at Warwick, it is odd that you're in this forum though.
Original post by jrs971
This really seems a futile and somewhat pointless argument. You linked to a page that required a login, and simultaneously said you weren't a student. That was all. Chill. If you aren't a student at Warwick, it is odd that you're in this forum though.

Why would I chill when you keep saying stupid things? This question appeared in the recent posts bits; I was not on the forum. I have claimed the free software before and know the process is similar at all unis, so I'd reason I'd be a in a good position to offer insight. Turns out I was right and I produced the best post here, instead of the vagueness you offered (which didn't answer how), even though I ain't even been to Warwick.

You could just thank me or you could continue with this futile attempt at admonishing me.
Reply 11
Why would I chill when you keep saying stupid things? This question appeared in the recent posts bits; I was not on the forum. I have claimed the free software before and know the process is similar at all unis, so I'd reason I'd be a in a good position to offer insight. Turns out I was right and I produced the best post here, instead of the vagueness you offered (which didn't answer how), even though I ain't even been to Warwick.

You could just thank me or you could continue with this futile attempt at admonishing me.

Perhaps. Fair enough. Surely you can agree though, that tagging on 'What does this tell you about your sheer laziness?' is unnecessary?
Original post by jrs971
Perhaps. Fair enough. Surely you can agree though, that tagging on 'What does this tell you about your sheer laziness?' is unnecessary?

I think this is a teachable moment, so I disagree that it's unnecessary. People need to learn to think for themselves and form their own solutions to their problems. You might be stepping up from 6th form where answers are spoon-fed to you and you form a reliance on others and teachers, but at university this will not happen anymore. You cannot rely on others any longer.

I've tried searching but I can't find an answer when the answer is the first entry on Google. They're taking the piss.
Original post by jrs971

Does this mean I can get the office 2016 for Mac? If so, can I only download it on laptop?
Reply 14
Original post by england100
Does this mean I can get the office 2016 for Mac? If so, can I only download it on laptop?

Yes you can get it for Mac. You get five licences - so you could install one to your Windows laptop, one to a Mac and then you have three spare.
Original post by jrs971
Yes you can get it for Mac. You get five licences - so you could install one to your Windows laptop, one to a Mac and then you have three spare.

That sounds brilliant, thank you :smile:
Original post by jrs971

I've registered my IT account with Warwick; would I be able to download the software, or would I have to wait until I start my course with them?
Reply 17
Original post by WarwickFan
I've registered my IT account with Warwick; would I be able to download the software, or would I have to wait until I start my course with them?

As soon as you can log in to your Warwick email, you can get it - click the gear icon on the web-based Outlook.

It's worth remembering that if you are studying a STEM subject you also have access to Dreamspark Premium which means you can download Windows etc. for free too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending