The Student Room Group

Applying to UWC through UWCGB

Hi , I'm 15 and have just started my application for UWC through UWCGB . Could anyone offer any personal statement advice or general advice on applying? I know no-one who has been to these colleges but my French teacher showed me the site and it looks absolutely fab! I live in Cardiff (so right next to AC) I do loads of charity and volunteering work including trips to Africa and speaking at the NUT Conference / Speeches in Parliament / oxfam bookshop volunteer etcetera but the problem is I can't really afford to go (the price for a year at AC is more than my parents' annual earnings combined...) Does anyone know if it's worth applying as I know that UWCGB offer scholarships but they're merit , not needs based , so I'm not sure how likely I am to get one. Also , does anyone know if they offer help with flights etcetera as I am limited to the european colleges + usa + singapore as to what colleges I can apply to due to the cost of flying to for example Victoria Canada ... Thanks for reading this and any help from anyone would be soo appreciated! With regards to my essays I have to write , there's a question stating something along the lines of " Tell us about a time when a challenging circumstance taught you something about yourself. This question will help us to understand how you respond to difficult situations, and how you use challenges as learning opportunities."I've prepared two answers for this , one talking about what it was like coming back from Ghana after meeting and working with kids in extreme poverty , and how there difficult circumstances makes me feel guilty then another about the challenging circumstance of my learning how to ride a bike this year.. I just don't know if talking about charity trips abroad would make me sound a bit patronising or showy iffy , whereas talking about riding a bike might make it seem like I'm not taking it seriously! uuchhh heeeellllpppp :afraid::afraid::afraid:Also , does anyone know how many applicants per place UWCGB receive per year usually? thanks !!!

Scroll to see replies

If you're what I'm competing with for places then I should just give up now, Jesus, where do you get the chance to do all of that?? The scholarships are based on the means test as well as merit, so if you are in dire financial need then you're probably more likely to be offered a scholarship - also, you seem to have the perfect application which places you highly in terms of receiving a scholarship.

As regards to answering that question, I had to think about it for a good few days before I decided on a solid answer. It's completely up to you what angle you kind of what to come from, but I just discussed how my own personal difficult experience allowed me to access who I am as a person and so forth. I would probably talk about Ghana and how being exposed to such a harsh environment has changed your outlook on life and what it actually revealed about you as a person.

As for the number of applicants, around 50 people actually get offered places from the UK and so I am hoping that not many more apply, although I'm sure there are quite a lot because it is such an amazing opportunity :smile:

Samantha
Original post by sfairy27
If you're what I'm competing with for places then I should just give up now, Jesus, where do you get the chance to do all of that?? The scholarships are based on the means test as well as merit, so if you are in dire financial need then you're probably more likely to be offered a scholarship - also, you seem to have the perfect application which places you highly in terms of receiving a scholarship.

As regards to answering that question, I had to think about it for a good few days before I decided on a solid answer. It's completely up to you what angle you kind of what to come from, but I just discussed how my own personal difficult experience allowed me to access who I am as a person and so forth. I would probably talk about Ghana and how being exposed to such a harsh environment has changed your outlook on life and what it actually revealed about you as a person.

As for the number of applicants, around 50 people actually get offered places from the UK and so I am hoping that not many more apply, although I'm sure there are quite a lot because it is such an amazing opportunity :smile:

Samantha

Thanks for your reply! Are you applying this year ? And I'm not sure how many apply per year but I take it that too many do haha UWCGB tweeted the day after the applications opened that "nearly 50" had already started their applications....

How do you find the "what do you wanna do in twenty years" question?? I've sort of just rambled on about science and hopefully building a clean water supply for the entire planet using the huge water reservoirs floating in space... are we allowed to be that far fetched ?? haha

Are you going to any of the open days? I'm going to the one in October... only realised that they held them yesterday so Thursday was a bit too soon

I hope you get in! Hopefully see you in mid-December :wink:

plus don't worry about what you've done in the past UWC is all about the potential to do stuff as obviously some people get more opportunities than others

With regards to the parliament stuff it basically all just comes from a group I'm a young ambassador for called sendmyfriendtoschool which is all about attempting to getting all kids in education around the world!

(( check out sendmyfriend.org .... I'm the guy holding the big number five))
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
Thanks for your reply! Are you applying this year ? And I'm not sure how many apply per year but I take it that too many do haha UWCGB tweeted the day after the applications opened that "nearly 50" had already started their applications....

How do you find the "what do you wanna do in twenty years" question?? I've sort of just rambled on about science and hopefully building a clean water supply for the entire planet using the huge water reservoirs floating in space... are we allowed to be that far fetched ?? haha

Are you going to any of the open days? I'm going to the one in October... only realised that they held them yesterday so Thursday was a bit too soon

I hope you get in! Hopefully see you in mid-December :wink:

plus don't worry about what you've done in the past UWC is all about the potential to do stuff as obviously some people get more opportunities than others

With regards to the parliament stuff it basically all just comes from a group I'm a young ambassador for called sendmyfriendtoschool which is all about attempting to getting all kids in education around the world!

(( check out sendmyfriend.org .... I'm the guy holding the big number five))

I get ridiculously excited when it comes to the future so I kind of went off on one about how I might be able to build a sustainable future, I can make sure that artefacts are protected for future generations and I can achieve some of my life goals and how UWC might put me on the right path to do so. As far as I can see, it'll just make them laugh and they did say to have a bit of creativity so you should be fine with your space reservoirs haha :smile:

I probably won't just because Atlantic College is a 4 hour drive from where I live and my mum and dad don't have the time, but thank you for the heads up, I had no idea that they held them either. Thank you! I hope you get in as well :u:

Will do (y)
I get ridiculously excited when it comes to the future so I kind of went off on one about how I might be able to build a sustainable future, I can make sure that artefacts are protected for future generations and I can achieve some of my life goals and how UWC might put me on the right path to do so. As far as I can see, it'll just make them laugh and they did say to have a bit of creativity so you should be fine with your space reservoirs haha :smile:

I probably won't just because Atlantic College is a 4 hour drive from where I live and my mum and dad don't have the time, but thank you for the heads up, I had no idea that they held them either. Thank you! I hope you get in as well :u:

Will do (y)

Atlantic College is like twenty minutes from my house (one of the only good things about being Welsh !) I really wanna do an open day but I'm not sure because it might intimidate me a bit ... have you answered all the questions yet?? I've only finished three... I keep changing them like every two days and no way is 250 words enough to talk about anything!! I'm a rambler as it is

Which college do you think you'd most like to go to?
Atlantic College is like twenty minutes from my house (one of the only good things about being Welsh !) I really wanna do an open day but I'm not sure because it might intimidate me a bit ... have you answered all the questions yet?? I've only finished three... I keep changing them like every two days and no way is 250 words enough to talk about anything!! I'm a rambler as it is

Which college do you think you'd most like to go to?

Go for it! You might be able to get a better feel for everything and you'll get to ask people who've been part of the whole experience some questions and stuff. I've finished the questions but it took me a few days, so don't sweat it, you'll be fine :smile:

I'm a right rambler, which is why I chose History instead of Geography haha

I really like the look of Canada, Italy, Norway and Bosnia-and-Herzegovina if I'm honest, but I'm pretty open to any so long as they think it's a good fit and I get in :u: What about you?
Go for it! You might be able to get a better feel for everything and you'll get to ask people who've been part of the whole experience some questions and stuff. I've finished the questions but it took me a few days, so don't sweat it, you'll be fine :smile:

I'm a right rambler, which is why I chose History instead of Geography haha

I really like the look of Canada, Italy, Norway and Bosnia-and-Herzegovina if I'm honest, but I'm pretty open to any so long as they think it's a good fit and I get in :u: What about you?

I really love the look of the Norway one omg it's soooooo cute + I love snow so ya know.. Atlantic College would probs be my favourite one to go to though mainly because it means that I could still see my friends regularly and make sure that they don't forget about me :colondollar::colondollar:

Italy looks really pretty... and Canada would be cool because they made Buble

They're all just awesome! I don't think my mum would trust me to fly all the way out to some of these places on my own though.. I'm not the most sensible guy. Are you the only person from your school applying?

USA would also be amazing mainly because I'd love to study at an american uni and that would be sort of the best platform for that. That said I'll go wherever they'll take me haha they all look so amazing and really the country you go to doesn't make that huge a difference because you'd still be meeting people from all over the world wherever you go
(edited 8 years ago)

Are you the only person from your school applying?

As far as I know, but I'm trying to persuade a few people that I think would benefit a lot from UWC to apply. I might even get the teachers on board with that one :smile:
As far as I know, but I'm trying to persuade a few people that I think would benefit a lot from UWC to apply. I might even get the teachers on board with that one :smile:

I'm pretty sure everyone would benefit from one! Don't persuade too many people though .... :biggrin:

Let me know if you get an interview! (I'm sure you will) they take I think 80 for interviews each year but spread them out over a week with like 20 a session or something like that! PM me if you have any questions about UWC (or just want to all about how awesome they are)
Reply 10
Hey guys, I'm also applying this year through UWCGB and I was wondering if your question 2 answer expanded on an activity you mentioned in question 1, or was it completely new?
Original post by swissor
Hey guys, I'm also applying this year through UWCGB and I was wondering if your question 2 answer expanded on an activity you mentioned in question 1, or was it completely new?

Hey! were you at yesterday's open day?

I did four activities for question one ( gay rights group , global citizenship group , football and memory sports ) then talked about my role as a charity ambassador in detail on Q2 (i.e. a totally different activity!)

What sort of stuff are you writing about? How's your application coming along?
Reply 12
Hello, I wasn't able to go to the open day because of school :/ but I've seen Atlantic College before and it is amazing.

My activities are: music, ambulance cadets, a research project, debate club and volunteering at a Fairtrade shop, and then I wrote Q2 on the Fairtrade shop in more detail.

It's quite challenging completing the application now because my teachers are piling on the work, but hey I probably should have started filling it out from day one haha. How goes it for you?
Hola peoples.

I did this whole application thing, got shortlisted, got an offer but couldn't go because of lack of funds. If anyone has any questions about the process, although I did it 2 years ago, I would be glad to help. :smile:

Good luck with your applications guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swissor
Hello, I wasn't able to go to the open day because of school :/ but I've seen Atlantic College before and it is amazing.

My activities are: music, ambulance cadets, a research project, debate club and volunteering at a Fairtrade shop, and then I wrote Q2 on the Fairtrade shop in more detail.

It's quite challenging completing the application now because my teachers are piling on the work, but hey I probably should have started filling it out from day one haha. How goes it for you?

I filled it out in the last week of July as I knew I'd have loads of work , the early bird catches the worm!
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
Hola peoples.

I did this whole application thing, got shortlisted, got an offer but couldn't go because of lack of funds. If anyone has any questions about the process, although I did it 2 years ago, I would be glad to help. :smile:

Good luck with your applications guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hola, thanks for offering to help :tongue:

Did you know what you wanted to do as a future job when you applied, and if not what did you talk about for that question?

Also what sort of questions were you asked at the interview stage?

Thank you
Reply 16
I filled it out in the last week of July as I knew I'd have loads of work , the early bird catches the worm!

Nice work
Original post by swissor
Hola, thanks for offering to help :tongue:

Did you know what you wanted to do as a future job when you applied, and if not what did you talk about for that question?

Also what sort of questions were you asked at the interview stage?

Thank you

Yes, I wanted to become an entrepreneur/philanthropist, so I just expanded on some of the ideas I had for the future. You don't really need to have a concrete idea of where you want to go or what you want to do, but it helps if you could at least talk about what you'd like to study at university. So long as you have just a general idea of which fields interest you, it's a case of talking about why they interest you in particular - you won't need to go into much depth about it.

Right, I don't want to spoil the exoerience too much (because believe me, staying at Atlantic College for 2 days is a great experience in itself) but for the first couple of hours you'll just be getting to know your fellow applicants, they make you really relaxed throughout. Most of the first day is full of activities you play in groups, testing your ability to communicate and/or work together.

The second day is when you'll be called in for your interviews. There will be a few rounds of these, some focusing on your application and the types of activities you've done; the others focusing on your knowledge of UWC, the mission and how you fit into it all. Don't be too freaked out, the interviewers are all lovely!
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, I wanted to become an entrepreneur/philanthropist, so I just expanded on some of the ideas I had for the future. You don't really need to have a concrete idea of where you want to go or what you want to do, but it helps if you could at least talk about what you'd like to study at university. So long as you have just a general idea of which fields interest you, it's a case of talking about why they interest you in particular - you won't need to go into much depth about it.

Right, I don't want to spoil the exoerience too much (because believe me, staying at Atlantic College for 2 days is a great experience in itself) but for the first couple of hours you'll just be getting to know your fellow applicants, they make you really relaxed throughout. Most of the first day is full of activities you play in groups, testing your ability to communicate and/or work together.

The second day is when you'll be called in for your interviews. There will be a few rounds of these, some focusing on your application and the types of activities you've done; the others focusing on your knowledge of UWC, the mission and how you fit into it all. Don't be too freaked out, the interviewers are all lovely!

Okies, thanks so much for the information! I didn't know how to approach that last question before but now I have a better idea :smile:
I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I wanted to say good luck to everyone now that the applications are closed! Now we just have to wait a month for interview offers...woohoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending