The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Big folder or notebooks?

hey guys, so im starting uni in september and Im doing criminology and criminal justice. Would you guys recomend having a big binder with different tab dividers for all my subjects or a notebook for each subject? Also, when do you find out about your subjects? thanks xx
I found the best way is to have a folder at home but take a notepad to lectures but one where you can take the pages out, otherwise you get given handouts and stuff which are hard to but in your notebook, but if you just use lose paper it ends up getting squashed and lost in your bag. Have a different folder for every subject though :smile: (This is in my experience as a physics student ) I found out the units in freshers i think but if you want to know earlier it will be online somewhere but i personally find my unis website quite anoying for that kind of think lol :smile:
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Original post by Nuriasimoes
hey guys, so im starting uni in september and Im doing criminology and criminal justice. Would you guys recomend having a big binder with different tab dividers for all my subjects or a notebook for each subject? Also, when do you find out about your subjects? thanks xx

I do criminology and I'd suggest folders. I used a ring binder for each module. Although I had lever arch folders as well in case I had too much stuff in my smaller folders. With notebooks you can't rearrange notes or insert handouts. Also you can't do extra reading and write notes and then insert that into the appropriate place. With folders you can just slot it in behind.

Is there a list of your modules on the university website? With my university I got an email which had a login and then with that I could find out my units/timetable.
Reply 3
Original post by Florality
I do criminology and I'd suggest folders. I used a ring binder for each module. Although I had lever arch folders as well in case I had too much stuff in my smaller folders. With notebooks you can't rearrange notes or insert handouts. Also you can't do extra reading and write notes and then insert that into the appropriate place. With folders you can just slot it in behind.

Is there a list of your modules on the university website? With my university I got an email which had a login and then with that I could find out my units/timetable.

Oh okay, so didn't you take a ring binder to the lectures? And I don't think it has at least not that I can find
Reply 4
Original post by Amber May
I found the best way is to have a folder at home but take a notepad to lectures but one where you can take the pages out, otherwise you get given handouts and stuff which are hard to but in your notebook, but if you just use lose paper it ends up getting squashed and lost in your bag. Have a different folder for every subject though :smile: (This is in my experience as a physics student ) I found out the units in freshers i think but if you want to know earlier it will be online somewhere but i personally find my unis website quite anoying for that kind of think lol :smile:

Oh okay thanks, that was so helpful 😃😃
Oh okay, so didn't you take a ring binder to the lectures? And I don't think it has at least not that I can find

Nope I just took some paper from a refill pad. I always wrote my notes up again neatly when I got home and then filed them, so didn't have a need for a ring binder in lectures.

Edit: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/criminology-and-criminal-justice/modules/ is a list of your modules.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Nope I just took some paper from a refill pad. I always wrote my notes up again neatly when I got home and then filed them, so didn't have a need for a ring binder in lectures.

Edit: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/criminology-and-criminal-justice/modules/ is a list of your modules.

Omg,this so helpful! If I dont wanna rewrite my notes when I get home, would you recommend taking a ring binder to the uni? And thanks oh I will check the modules now 😃
Omg,this so helpful! If I dont wanna rewrite my notes when I get home, would you recommend taking a ring binder to the uni? And thanks oh I will check the modules now 😃

Ye I'd take one in if you don't want to rewrite the notes. Or you could take one of those plastic popper wallets and then file your notes when you get home. It depends on how much stuff you want to carry.

Personally I couldn't write everything that was on the slides fast enough (or neat enough that I'd be able to revise from it). So that's why I rewrote my notes when I could access the slides on my laptop.

If possible you could print the slides off before the lecture and then annotate them during it. That's what I've heard of people doing but I can't do that at my university. Then you could put them in the ring binder straight away :smile:.
Reply 8
Ye I'd take one in if you don't want to rewrite the notes. Or you could take one of those plastic popper wallets and then file your notes when you get home. It depends on how much stuff you want to carry.

Personally I couldn't write everything that was on the slides fast enough (or neat enough that I'd be able to revise from it). So that's why I rewrote my notes when I could access the slides on my laptop.

If possible you could print the slides off before the lecture and then annotate them during it. That's what I've heard of people doing but I can't do that at my university. Then you could put them in the ring binder straight away :smile:.

You are so helpful, thanks you so much. One last question, when do I get my timetable for the year? Is it on freshers week?
You are so helpful, thanks you so much. One last question, when do I get my timetable for the year? Is it on freshers week?

You're welcome! Well for my university I got my login for the online system thing a few weeks before and I could check my timetable from that. But it wasn't finalised until freshers week. So you'll get it in freshers week if you don't recieve any emails before.
You're welcome! Well for my university I got my login for the online system thing a few weeks before and I could check my timetable from that. But it wasn't finalised until freshers week. So you'll get it in freshers week if you don't recieve any emails before.

Oh okay, thank you xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending