The Student Room Group

Overachiever's Gap Year...

I don't wish to blow my own trumpet with a title like that, but it's the simplest way to put it, and to differentiate my case from underachievement/planned gap years!

Predicted AAB (well, originally ABC, after a disappointing set of AS results, though I managed to convince my killjoy teachers I would do better), I walked away with A*AA on results day, and AS grades of AAAB thanks to resits.

Of course, I'm pleased with that outcome, and sort of knew it would turn out that way as I committed myself improving over the year. I know they aren't the best grades ever and that many people get several A*s (kudos) but for me, getting those grades opened doors I feared were closed to me.

But this created a rather nice problem for me - a gap year for reapplying!

My first choice uni was Exeter, and Birmingham my insurance, asking for AAB and ABB respectively. Both are good universities, but considering I'll be paying tens of thousands of pounds for my education over the coming years, I feel I ought to attend the best and most demanding university I can to make all the lovely debt worthwhile.

I know some may question my decision to decline my Exeter unconditional, but now that I have the grades to apply to the 'Premier League' of unis, I'm all for it.

But I didn't plan for a gap year, and don't particularly want one... And it's harder than I'd thought to find paid work in jobs that are actually worth doing.

For the sake of context, I studied Government & Politics (A*), Geography (A) and Economics (A), plus Maths at AS (B), and want to read International Relations.

I have my eye on IR at King's College London (AAA) and hopefully Human Social and Political Sciences (A*AA) at Cambridge. Asides from those, I haven't got anything on my radar, though will check up on a few more unis when I get round to reapplying in September.

The big question is what to do during my unwanted year off?

No offence to anyone spending their gap year feeding elephants and working in bars, but that sort of life just isn't for me. I don't want 'experiences' or things for which I have to make excuses: "Oh but I learned so much about myself in Thailand in a hammock taking the occasional photo of a sunset or a cocktail I was drinking for Instagram". Just no.

If I had it my way, I'd be doing paid work with the Civil Service or behind the scenes of a national newspaper - but understandably, a random unqualified 18-year old doesn't make the ideal candidate for most jobs in that field. Hell, I wouldn't hire me if I could hire an experienced bilingual 20-something with a degree and suave hairstyle instead.

I have some pretty nifty work experience and copious extra-curricular activities geared towards my career. At the moment I have a summer job, £8 an hour for digital order processing - hardly the most mentally stimulating job but it's decent pay regardless and experience of the working world.

So what next? How should I spend my year (at home with my 3 younger brothers, yikes) in my weird position? And how do I tell people why I'm on a gap year without sounding like a knob? "Oh yeah Exeter isn't good enough for me anymore, in fact I'm basically God now so bow before me, plebs" - it's not what I'll say but it's what I'm afraid people will hear!

My basic plan is:
- Apply to top-tier universities for 2016 entry (get on with it, Cambridge application closes early)
- Work and earn a tasty stack of cash
- Do Coursera courses
- Brush up on my German
- Read at least 10 books on politics/economics/history/similar
- Run a 10K without giving myself shin splints again
- Do no travelling because I can't see the point and I want to hoard my earnings like a cash-craving squirrel
- ?????????

Any advice? Does anyone know where I could possibly work (I've called a lot of places to no avail, so any suggestion could be a useful one) or have a story to share about where you have worked on your gap year?

Is anyone else taking a gap year for the same reason? Does being at home suck as much as I'm fearing? Any discussion is welcome!

TL;DR, I'm taking a gap year because I beat my predicted grades and want to apply to my dream unis, but I can't find cool work and am not that interested in travelling - what do I do and are you in my boat?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AnomEllie
I don't wish to blow my own trumpet with a title like that, but it's the simplest way to put it, and to differentiate my case from underachievement/planned gap years!

Predicted AAB (well, originally ABC, after a disappointing set of AS results, though I managed to convince my killjoy teachers I would do better), I walked away with A*AA on results day, and AS grades of AAAB thanks to resits.

Of course, I'm pleased with that outcome, and sort of knew it would turn out that way as I committed myself improving over the year.

My first choice uni was Exeter, and Birmingham my insurance, asking for AAB and ABB respectively. Both are good universities, but considering I'll be paying tens of thousands of pounds for my education over the coming years, I feel I ought to attend the best and most demanding university I can to make all the lovely debt worthwhile.

I know some may question my decision to decline my Exeter unconditional, but now that I have the grades to apply to the 'Premier League' of unis, I'm all for it.

But I didn't plan for a gap year, and don't particularly want one... And it's harder than I'd thought to find paid work in jobs that are actually worth doing.

For the sake of context, I studied Government & Politics (A*), Geography (A) and Economics (A), plus Maths at AS (B), and want to read International Relations.

I have my eye on IR at King's College London (AAA) and hopefully Human Social and Political Sciences (A*AA) at Cambridge. Asides from those, I haven't got anything on my radar, though will check up on a few more unis when I get round to reapplying in September.

No offence to anyone spending their gap year feeding elephants and working in bars, but that sort of life just isn't for me. I don't want 'experiences' or things for which I have to make excuses: "Oh but I learned so much about myself in Thailand in a hammock taking the occasional photo of a sunset or a cocktail I was drinking for Instagram". Just no.

If I had it my way, I'd be doing paid work with the Civil Service or behind the scenes of a national newspaper - but understandably, a random unqualified 18-year old doesn't make the ideal candidate for most jobs in that field. Hell, I wouldn't hire me if I could hire an experienced bilingual 20-something with a degree and suave hairstyle instead.

I have some pretty nifty work experience in the House of Commons and in my County Council. Plus copious extra-curricular activities geared towards my career (debating, current affairs club, Model United Nations, all that jazz). At the moment I have a summer job, £8 an hour for digital order processing - hardly the most mentally stimulating job but it's decent pay regardless.

So what next? How should I spend my year (at home with my 3 younger brothers, yikes) in my weird position? And how do I tell people why I'm on a gap year without sounding like a knob? "Oh yeah Exeter isn't good enough for me anymore, in fact I'm basically God now so bow before me, plebs" - it's not what I'll say but it's what I'm afraid people will hear!

My basic plan is:
- Apply to top-tier universities for 2016 entry (get on with it, Cambridge application closes early)
- Do Coursera courses
- Brush up on my German
- Do no travelling because I can't see the point and I want to hoard my earnings like a cash-craving squirrel
- ?????????

Any advice? Does anyone know where I could possibly work (I've called a lot of places to no avail, so any suggestion could be a useful one) or have a story to share about where you have worked on your gap year?

Is anyone else taking a gap year for the same reason? Does being at home suck as much as I'm fearing? Any discussion is welcome!

"Oh yeah Exeter isn't good enough for me anymore, in fact I'm basically God now so bow before me, plebs" - is exactly what we just heard. Plenty of people on here, including myself, have A* grades.. however there is no reason for writing a paragraph like yours. I recommend a year of hard work in somewhere that isn't 'mentally stimulating' to bring you back down to earth.
Reply 2
You have simply said that you want different experiences to the generic gap-year student, but frankly a year of staying home with no study and no travelling is going to be rather dull. Is saving money that important to you? What are you even saving it for if it is not to live a better, more interesting life? Have some fun for goodness sake! There willbve plenty of time for you to be stuck between home and work later on in life.

P.S. A 10k run? Only one!? I did those 5 days a week back when I was 17. Aim high - go for the marathon.

P.P.S I had shin splints as well - pretty grim.
Reply 3
You don't sound very pleasant. You'll have to do your own research and find jobs you consider to be 'worthy of you'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by VannR
You have simply said that you want different experiences to the generic gap-year student, but frankly a year of staying home with no study and no travelling is going to be rather dull. Is saving money that important to you? What are you even saving it for if it is not to live a better, more interesting life? Have some fun for goodness sake! There willbve plenty of time for you to be stuck between home and work later on in life.

P.S. A 10k run? Only one!? I did those 5 days a week back when I was 17. Aim high - go for the marathon.

P.P.S I had shin splints as well - pretty grim.

I'm saving the money to get me through uni, I know my loan won't cover it and I can't really get financial support from my parents, so work it is!

I'm worried it will be dull, though there won't be no study (books and online courses). But travelling just doesn't appeal to me!

Well done on the running, but I'm amateur and need to build up to a 10K at the moment!

Of course, I'm pleased with that outcome, and sort of knew it would turn out that way as I committed myself improving over the year. I know they aren't the best grades ever and that many people get several A*s (kudos) but for me, getting those grades opened doors I feared were closed to me.

I have some pretty nifty work experience and copious extra-curricular activities geared towards my career. At the moment I have a summer job, £8 an hour for digital order processing - hardly the most mentally stimulating job but it's decent pay regardless and experience of the working world.

My basic plan is:
- Do Coursera courses
- Brush up on my German
- ?????????

Sorry but,

Is there any tl;dr section? xD
Reply 6
Original post by Wrf95
I'd happily give you help if you spoke about your achievements with a little humility

It always comes down to presentation... Might be interesting to repost my query but in a different tone, see how people react to it.
Reply 7

My basic plan is:
- Do Coursera courses
- Brush up on my German
- ?????????

Man I'm in a very similar situation as you. Tbf I'd like some advice from you.

I got abcc at AS and was like **** applying for 2015 entry. I've walked away with A*AA A-level and aaab AS-level. These are all in Maths, Chemistry, Physics,( Further Maths AS).

So my problem is, I could apply to good universities like bristol/durham and (hopefully) immediately get an offer because of meeting the requirements...

OR I could finish my further maths a level during my gap year and have a decent chance of going to Imperial College London.

I'm not sure whether or not I should put in that extra amount of effort to get into the top top top unis or just to sit back on A*AA and earn some money in my gap year working in bars and stuff. I will learn to drive and cook also.

What do you think I should do ?!?!?!
If I'm completely honest I don't see a problem with your post. In fact it made me chuckle a bit; you certainly have an entertaining way of writing!
If I'm to continue down the theme of honesty, I would say you've answered the question yourself. Working during your gap year certainly seems like a good idea (the pros being more experience and money), however even though you don't want to make your gap year all about travelling, I would say that spending just a few weeks travelling would do you some good. A few weeks travel is an excellent way to have some fun, especially before you embark on what you're excpecting to be a demanding and stimulating next few years.
All in all, I think it's a good idea for you to take a gap year, you should go to a university that you're happy with and you do have the grades, so I can only assume you have the ability. Don't end up wondering "what if?"
Reply 9
Original post by Notions
Man I'm in a very similar situation as you. Tbf I'd like some advice from you.

I got abcc at AS and was like **** applying for 2015 entry. I've walked away with A*AA A-level and aaab AS-level. These are all in Maths, Chemistry, Physics,( Further Maths AS).

So my problem is, I could apply to good universities like bristol/durham and (hopefully) immediately get an offer because of meeting the requirements...

OR I could finish my further maths a level during my gap year and have a decent chance of going to Imperial College London.

I'm not sure whether or not I should put in that extra amount of effort to get into the top top top unis or just to sit back on A*AA and earn some money in my gap year working in bars and stuff. I will learn to drive and cook also.

What do you think I should do ?!?!?!

Hooray, someone like me who isn't trying to insult me!

Well done on those grades by the way :smile:

As my form tutor put it, it's just a year out from your entire life, it's basically insignificant compared to your career-to-be.

I think making yourself the best candidate you can be is most useful in the long run. Durham/Bristol are both great of course, but if you've set your heart on ICL and would be willing to do Further Maths while you do your other gap year stuff, I'd go for it, cuz that uni is gonna be on your CV for the rest of your life!
Reply 10
Original post by Chi_99
If I'm completely honest I don't see a problem with your post. In fact it made me chuckle a bit; you certainly have an entertaining way of writing!
If I'm to continue down the theme of honesty, I would say you've answered the question yourself. Working during your gap year certainly seems like a good idea (the pros being more experience and money), however even though you don't want to make your gap year all about travelling, I would say that spending just a few weeks travelling would do you some good. A few weeks travel is an excellent way to have some fun, especially before you embark on what you're excpecting to be a demanding and stimulating next few years.
All in all, I think it's a good idea for you to take a gap year, you should go to a university that you're happy with and you do have the grades, so I can only assume you have the ability. Don't end up wondering "what if?"

Thank you for your constructive reply, and I'm glad you liked my post (some people are so sensitive what are you, clitorises or something??)

I suppose a bit of travel could be fun - I'm off on holiday with my friends soon so perhaps some time abroad will whet my appetite! But I still want to save my money up haha.

I'm just really keen to do some work that will be relevant to my career... I have a whole year, hopefully something will crop up!
Reply 11
Hooray, someone like me who isn't trying to insult me!

Well done on those grades by the way :smile:

As my form tutor put it, it's just a year out from your entire life, it's basically insignificant compared to your career-to-be.

I think making yourself the best candidate you can be is most useful in the long run. Durham/Bristol are both great of course, but if you've set your heart on ICL and would be willing to do Further Maths while you do your other gap year stuff, I'd go for it, cuz that uni is gonna be on your CV for the rest of your life!

Thank you :biggrin: You too! It's awesome turning things around / 'overachieving' :P

I think I do have my heart set on Imperial. This choice is a bit influenced by my desire for a social life. I don't want to go out partying/drinking all the time (not my idea of fun) but I really do want to develop proper relationships. I feel durham/bristol might be better for this but hmm. I'm really not finding it easy tbh. xD
Reply 12
Good decision - losing a year will mean nothing in the long run, but the very top universities are worth holding out for (though Exeter is obviously good).

You want to end up with something. Basically, you need to focus on one of: skills, experiences, money. Kudos if you can get more than one. Your plan actually sounds pretty good - I can't add much to it, since you already have a decent job, are willing to do courses at home, and have work experience in the house of commons. Just make sure you actually do the courses / reading you have planned, as it will be very easy to waste the time.

If anyone asks why you are taking a gap year, just say something vague like 'I wanted to'. If they even ask, chances are they don't care about the answer.
This post is great I love the style of writing and it's how I would be to be honest. In my opinion you should 100% save up money with a job however as mentioned possibly use some of it to just take a few weeks travelling, relaxing loads, whatever. It doesn't have to be adventurous, hell I went to Ashby-de-la-Zouch for a weekend with friends because it had a cool name and it was so relaxing and fun!

But yes make sure you brush up on any knowledge which you should with all those books and kudos to you for learning German, languages are awesome! (i study French myself). Maybe you could visit Germany to strengthen your skills?

All in all I think you are right to do this, you earned those grades so go and aim high, but remember to play hard as well as work hard! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Notions
Thank you :biggrin: You too! It's awesome turning things around / 'overachieving' :P

I think I do have my heart set on Imperial. This choice is a bit influenced by my desire for a social life. I don't want to go out partying/drinking all the time (not my idea of fun) but I really do want to develop proper relationships. I feel durham/bristol might be better for this but hmm. I'm really not finding it easy tbh. xD

Ikr, opening results I was like 'excuuuuuse me' ahahah xD

I'm more inclined to get stuck in with the nightlife so London looks pretty appealing to me for that reason - but I think it's standard protocol for unis to do survey things when you apply for accommodation, so you can live with people as pro or anti partay as you :wink: At least, that's what Exeter and Birmingham did!

Either way you'll meet so many people at uni from all walks of life, I reckon it's easy to find friends wherever you end up :smile:
Reply 15

I'm more inclined to get stuck in with the nightlife so London looks pretty appealing to me for that reason - but I think it's standard protocol for unis to do survey things when you apply for accommodation, so you can live with people as pro or anti partay as you :wink: At least, that's what Exeter and Birmingham did!

Either way you'll meet so many people at uni from all walks of life, I reckon it's easy to find friends wherever you end up :smile:

Friends are easy

I want a girlfriend :h: :h: :h:
Reply 16
Original post by Swifty139
This post is great I love the style of writing and it's how I would be to be honest. In my opinion you should 100% save up money with a job however as mentioned possibly use some of it to just take a few weeks travelling, relaxing loads, whatever. It doesn't have to be adventurous, hell I went to Ashby-de-la-Zouch for a weekend with friends because it had a cool name and it was so relaxing and fun!

But yes make sure you brush up on any knowledge which you should with all those books and kudos to you for learning German, languages are awesome! (i study French myself). Maybe you could visit Germany to strengthen your skills?

All in all I think you are right to do this, you earned those grades so go and aim high, but remember to play hard as well as work hard! :smile:

Thank you for your advice!

If I do go travelling, it will be around March or later (when the weather is less ****e and I have my offers, and also stacks of cash B) ) so I still have ages to think about it. God, a whole year is a scarily long time.

I love my subject so keeping my knowledge current is no chore - but it would be cool (or should I say 'kühl' xD) to read the news auf Deutsch!
Reply 17

Appaz there are a lot of guys at imperial compared to gals. Bristol/Durham aint gonna have that problem .
Reply 18
Original post by Notions
Appaz there are a lot of guys at imperial compared to gals. Bristol/Durham aint gonna have that problem .

Imagine you met someone at uni who said 'oh yeh I only came here for the poontang'. (okay maybe they'd be a little less crude than that) - would you be able to take that guy seriously? :P

In all seriousness, you could take the most girl-heavy course in the uni with the most girls to guys, and still not find the right girl for you. Choose the uni that's right for you, not your dick xD
Reply 19
Imagine you met someone at uni who said 'oh yeh I only came here for the poontang'. (okay maybe they'd be a little less crude than that) - would you be able to take that guy seriously? :P

In all seriousness, you could take the most girl-heavy course in the uni with the most girls to guys, and still not find the right girl for you. Choose the uni that's right for you, not your dick xD

You made me laugh xD

Yeah I guess that would be thinking with my dick ! ahahah .

Purely rational me has realised that would be a bad reason to not strive for Imperial xD lets go imperial lets go.

Aight good luck with getting into a sick university and having a fulfilling gap year. My main goal is basically to 'avoid boredom'. Peace.

Quick Reply

Latest