The Student Room Group

AS English Literature

I have to decide by tomorrow if I want to take English Literature as my fourth AS subject or not and I'm getting mixed views about it looking online. People either say it is an amazing subject to take or that it is pointless, boring and the AQA exam timings are too 'tight'. Being one of my favourite subjects at GCSE and getting an A* in it, I would like to continue studying it but I am more interested in the analysing and interpreting specific words and phrases and giving alternative interpretations than reading old historic texts I doubt I would enjoy. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you :smile:
You'll definitely have a lot more work to do, and if you're not a fan of entering exams closed-book i.e. having to remember text and quotes in your head, then maybe it's not for you. And you'll have to write a bit more fluently than the normal P.E.E. than you're used to doing in GCSEs.

If this sounds appealing to you, go ahead! I did AS English Lit, and I thoroughly enjoyed the course (OCR)
Honestly, I highly recommend you do english, it's a great subject that helps to improve your analytical and writing skills. Workload wise, it's a nice subject to revise and study as if you enjoy reading, that will in turn strengthen your ability. Just make sure you make notes throughout the year and focus on exam technique, as long as you write for the mark scheme, hitting the objectives then you will do well. I did AS english this year and got an A so feel free to ask me any questions!
Reply 3
Original post by firegirl555
Honestly, I highly recommend you do english, it's a great subject that helps to improve your analytical and writing skills. Workload wise, it's a nice subject to revise and study as if you enjoy reading, that will in turn strengthen your ability. Just make sure you make notes throughout the year and focus on exam technique, as long as you write for the mark scheme, hitting the objectives then you will do well. I did AS english this year and got an A so feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you! Is it an interesting course? Well done for your A!
Reply 4
Original post by thecatwithnohat
You'll definitely have a lot more work to do, and if you're not a fan of entering exams closed-book i.e. having to remember text and quotes in your head, then maybe it's not for you. And you'll have to write a bit more fluently than the normal P.E.E. than you're used to doing in GCSEs.

If this sounds appealing to you, go ahead! I did AS English Lit, and I thoroughly enjoyed the course (OCR)

So in the exam you don't have a book with you like a GCSE? And thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by cjm1998
Thank you! Is it an interesting course? Well done for your A!

well i did OCR but found the course really interesting, i know the AQA books are good too, there's a lot more freedom than GCSE also. For OCR, it's closed text exam !but for AQA, it's open.
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending