The Student Room Group

Imperial College medicine applicants 2016

I noticed there wasn't one of these for Imperial (if there is, sorry I couldn't find it, please direct me).

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/medicine-mbbs-programmes/

Entry requirements
We welcome students from all over the world and consider all applicants on an individual basis. If your qualifications are not listed here, please see our academic requirements by country page, which gives the minimum entry requirements for a range of international qualifications.Below you will find our academic and non-academic entry requirements.

A/AS-levels
The minimum entry requirements for this course is AAA + AS-level at grade B overall, to be achieved in the same sitting.Biology and Chemistry are required, therefore if one of these subjects is not taken at A2 level, it must be taken at AS level and a grade B is required.

For candidates offering four A-levels our normal offer is AAAC. Grades obtained in resit examinations are not normally considered, however resit candidates who believe they have extenuating circumstances are invited to contact the School of Medicine prior to application at [email protected].

Vocational A and AS-levels are not acceptable and General Studies will not be accepted at any level.

GCSE (or equivalent)
All applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order):

Biology (or Human Biology)

Chemistry

English Language

Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics)

Physics

The Science double award or Science plus Additional Science may substitute all sciences at GCSE.EPQ: Please note that an EPQ cannot be used as part of the AS and A2 Level entry requirements.

BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
All candidates applying to the six-year course must take the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) in the year of application in order to be considered for interview.You are required to register with BMAT assessment centres prior to the test. Please refer to the Admissions Testing Service for key dates and additional information. Candidates who would like extenuating circumstances considered for their performance in BMAT must adhere to the procedure found here.Invitations to an interview will be based on:

the content of your UCAS application

your performance in all three sections of BMAT

BMAT cut-off scores are calculated each year, as a result of ranked candidate BMAT scores versus number of expected interview sessions. As a result, the absolute BMAT cut-off changes each year. However, the BMAT cut-off scores from previous admissions cycles may be used as a guide.For 2015 entry, the minimum scores required were:

a score of 4.3 in section 1

a score of 4.4 in section 2

a score of 2.3 and grade B in section 3

What is it that attracts you to Imperial?
What are your stats?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you know what the average BMAT score for each section is for the average applicant who gets an interview?
As applications are now in full swing, I think now is the time to try and revive the thread!!

My stats:
GCSE - 7A*s 3As 1C
AS - AAAA
A2 predictions - A*A*A*
(UKCAT: 740, band 3)

I'm applying to Imperial as I really like the traditional nature of the course, but with a lot of patient contact, and I love the feeling of the uni - it's all science, which makes me ridiculously happy. I'm also applying to UCL, Bristol and St George's.
Original post by PhoenixFire17
As applications are now in full swing, I think now is the time to try and revive the thread!!

My stats:
GCSE - 7A*s 3As 1C
AS - AAAA
A2 predictions - A*A*A*
(UKCAT: 740, band 3)

I'm applying to Imperial as I really like the traditional nature of the course, but with a lot of patient contact, and I love the feeling of the uni - it's all science, which makes me ridiculously happy. I'm also applying to UCL, Bristol and St George's.

Those are some crazy good stats :smile:
Original post by ScaredBanana
Those are some crazy good stats :smile:

Haha you're very kind, thank you. Worried the various uni's will have a different opinion!
Have you guys been preparing for the BMAT?
Original post by AGreatHooligan
Have you guys been preparing for the BMAT?

I got to a revision session on a Friday with some friends who are doing BMAT, then going to up the anti during half term. been getting above cut off so far, how about you?
I got to a revision session on a Friday with some friends who are doing BMAT, then going to up the anti during half term. been getting above cut off so far, how about you?

I'm going to a course tomorrow and have been doing practice questions and a few past papers.
Original post by AGreatHooligan
I'm going to a course tomorrow and have been doing practice questions and a few past papers.

I proper wish I had the money to go to a course.
I proper wish I had the money to go to a course.

You don't need to go on a course, so don't worry. I went on one when I did the BMAT and found it pretty useless in all honesty.
Section 2 always bugs me as I always get below average on that! Especially physics! Anyone got any tips/sites to revise the section 2 from??
Original post by cookiemonster15
Section 2 always bugs me as I always get below average on that! Especially physics! Anyone got any tips/sites to revise the section 2 from??

Use the BMAT guide for the sciences. Section 2 is very time pressured and you'll be asked to apply your knowledge well so it's all about practising questions too as much as you can.
Original post by usycool1
Use the BMAT guide for the sciences. Section 2 is very time pressured and you'll be asked to apply your knowledge well so it's all about practising questions too as much as you can.

Is that the fat 400 page cgp thing?
Is that the fat 400 page cgp thing?

Yep
Reply 14
Hoping that section 1 doesn't screw me over even this year lol. Hello y'all

Original post by usycool1
Hey Usy! have you started at Imperial? if Yes, how are you finding it?
The official guide and youtube videos for anything you don't fully understand. Then past papers all the way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone had a confirmation email from Imperial yet? It's the only one of my choices that hasn't acknowledged my application
Reply 16
Original post by medics_r_us
Has anyone had a confirmation email from Imperial yet? It's the only one of my choices that hasn't acknowledged my application

I havent recieved one yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
I havent recieved one yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't got one either, they might not give one, not all unis do.
-

Original post by Rp165
-

Original post by meessime
-

Someone said somewhere else that they don't send out confirmations until november, so have to wait a couple weeks and see
Original post by Hectors
Hoping that section 1 doesn't screw me over even this year lol. Hello y'all

Hey Usy! have you started at Imperial? if Yes, how are you finding it?
The official guide and youtube videos for anything you don't fully understand. Then past papers all the way.

Yup, I have! It's only been two weeks but I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's nothing to worry about. Both times when I applied, they came through in October (on different dates each time) but they really don't mean much.

Quick Reply

Latest