The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nasrin9494
Congrats on submitting ur application.
I've applied for secondary computer science too?
Is your's pgce or school direct?

PGCE, what's yours?
I have been accepted for Edge Hill, Early Years! I am overjoyed, however one thing I have to resit in the next six months... Four GCSES... and the key skills test, Jeezz. I am more determined than ever though fingers crossed, went to my literacy key skills test yesterday and was four marks off passing... So annoying, I struggled on the comprehension part the "Social and NI" bit, definitely just keep revising is the only advise I can give. It will be a miracle if i get on in September, will be definitely owing myself a few vodkas :smile: :smile:
Original post by Renshy
I'm late to the party I think but I submitted my application for Secondary Computer Science!

Fingers crossed. The wait is going to be dreadful :frown:

Great to hear, there are very few of us. I'm doing school direct secondary computer science.
Original post by Faye2109
I have been accepted for Edge Hill, Early Years! I am overjoyed, however one thing I have to resit in the next six months... Four GCSES... and the key skills test, Jeezz. I am more determined than ever though fingers crossed, went to my literacy key skills test yesterday and was four marks off passing... So annoying, I struggled on the comprehension part the "Social and NI" bit, definitely just keep revising is the only advise I can give. It will be a miracle if i get on in September, will be definitely owing myself a few vodkas :smile: :smile:

congratulations, looks like you have even more reason to knuckle down. good luck on the resits.
Original post by Renshy
PGCE, what's yours?

Same. Pgce
Got my place at university of Wolverhampton.
Hi. I have got a school direct primary place for September and on UCAS the offer is conditional due to skills tests results, exam verifications and fit to teach forms being completed. I have emailed all the info that they have asked for ( a few weeks ago but no reply from Plymouth University) and completed all the forms that were emailed to me. Will the offer be changed to unconditional relatively quickly normally or am I just being impatient?!

thanks
Original post by MandaTreb
The actual test was no harder than the practices! That I can say at least - I'm not sure I can really say it was easier, and the spellings were mostly ones which I had not used in a good few years, but with the aid of the practices I felt in quite good stead when sitting the exams.

I was more nervous about literacy, and it took me almost all of the time available, but I think that it is key to do the tests slow and steady so you don't lose marks making silly mistakes. :smile:

So good to see someone who is more nervous about literacy. I think the time is important. I have always done well on the gov spelling tests but well they are not going to be in the real one so I am nervous about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiki8
I'm thinking maybe St Hugh's or Keble but it's so hard to decide. I'm not going to apply for accommodation so at least that takes looking at food quality out of the picture I'm more interested in social activities and libraries. We can get our own PGCE Oxford page up and running soon!

It is really difficult. I wanted accommodation, which is why I picked Worcester.If you're interested in sports, I know they have sports pitches. Yeah I really want a facebook page but I haven't found very many people on the Oxford PGCE course.
Original post by Renshy
I'm late to the party I think but I submitted my application for Secondary Computer Science!

Fingers crossed. The wait is going to be dreadful :frown:

Have you had your references back? I'm only just applying - but still waiting on a reference. I'm going for School Direct/SCITT secondary maths.
Original post by Hayleybobs
Yes, Ive passed both mine in the last three weeks and found the DfE tests are very similar. I only used them to help me pass.

Congrats on passing, and thank you! For the mental arithmetic section, are the questions written out or only fragments shown on the page as they're being read out?
Hi

I have got a D in Gcse science and it doesn't matter for secondary pgce. But I'm thinking of resitting it as english, Maths and Science are major subjects.
I left school back in 2010 so now do I have to do it as a private candidate. If so, how does that work. Any help would be highly appreciated
Original post by nasrin9494
Hi

I have got a D in Gcse science and it doesn't matter for secondary pgce. But I'm thinking of resitting it as english, Maths and Science are major subjects.
I left school back in 2010 so now do I have to do it as a private candidate. If so, how does that work. Any help would be highly appreciated

Hey man. I did my maths and English last year. For maths I just contacted a high school on my local area and they allowed me to come in when year 11's sat their GCSEs and gave me a private room to do mine in. I had to pay but it was not a lot. I wanted to do the same for English but due to the course work element going towards your final grade I had to do an evening course in a college which is free if you have a D grade. As for science I am unsure as I got my C in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlantVZombie
Hey man. I did my maths and English last year. For maths I just contacted a high school on my local area and they allowed me to come in when year 11's sat their GCSEs and gave me a private room to do mine in. I had to pay but it was not a lot. I wanted to do the same for English but due to the course work element going towards your final grade I had to do an evening course in a college which is free if you have a D grade. As for science I am unsure as I got my C in that.

Hey, thanks for the info.
Can I ask you how u got your English done?. My friend is looking to resit English and she got an place at BCU on meeting this condition. She got D in English
Original post by pesopenguin
Just had my interview this morning. No tests at mine, just a group discussion, a writing task and an interview. Without giving anything away, writing task was nothing like skills tests, more long-form writing (hand written). Take a pen!

hi, i have interview next month, for writting task, is it descriptive writting?
Original post by carolineherts
Hi , I had my interview on the Thursday and heard the Monday at about 4.30 ish lol not that I was checking emails at all lol 😁

hi, i have pgce primary interview soon, could you tell me what is english test like? is is descriptive writing ? and what is groupwork like? thanks
Original post by gizmodo
Have you had your references back? I'm only just applying - but still waiting on a reference. I'm going for School Direct/SCITT secondary maths.

No. Still waiting on those.
Reply 3256
Hi, I'm new on here! :smile:
Anyone going to do PGCE at UEA? I am a "mature" student and have accepted an offer for Secondary Modern Languages (Spanish with French).
Just passed my numeracy and literacy, actually found them easier than the practice tests!
Good luck to everyone who's got interviews or skills tests coming up!
Original post by huang060916
hi, i have interview next month, for writting task, is it descriptive writting?

Hi,
You could ask in advance - they may not tell you of course! For my uni PGCE interview, the writing task was about showing you could write in coherent English. Hope that helps.
[QUOTE="nasrin9494;62586817"]
Original post by PlantVZombie

Hey, thanks for the info.
Can I ask you how u got your English done?. My friend is looking to resit English and she got an place at BCU on meeting this condition. She got D in English

I applied to a college as normal for a September start. It will be to late now unless your friend can start this September. However, I am sure you can do online courses. Also look into the igcse in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by low2r
Hi, I'm new on here! :smile:
Anyone going to do PGCE at UEA? I am a "mature" student and have accepted an offer for Secondary Modern Languages (Spanish with French).
Just passed my numeracy and literacy, actually found them easier than the practice tests!
Good luck to everyone who's got interviews or skills tests coming up!

Good to hear someone say the real ones are easier. I got 96% on one of the gov practice maths test and 78 on an English so over the last month I have gone from getting low 50'S to the above. Hopefully I will be ok. I have just over two weeks. Any advice for literacy revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending