PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laura.a.c265
I'm an OU grad too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Lambert87
Have you? Is it difficult? What are the hardest type of questions? Doing a biochem degree means the maths should be ok...

27th October I believe

I dont think it is, the hardest question for my was a mental maths one where I dont immediately see the fraction cancelling down. Should be fine I imagine, you still have an english one to do.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Hey guys, its about time we got a thread going for prospective PGCE applicants applying for 2016 entry.

Has anyone else started gaining experience or written their personal statement?
What subject are you looking to study?
Where are you applying?

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to start my training next year also...I'll be 33 at that stage. I finished my BSc. Chemistry (Hons, 2:1) in 2005 and PhD Chemistry in 2009. I've since worked as a postdoc and in industry but have always wanted to teach. The bursaries for Chemistry now make that possible for me to do this...here's hoping 2015 wasn't the last year for those!!

My application procedure will be pretty intense as I'm from Rep. of Ireland so have to get my qualifications recognised etc.
Question - are interviews offered by Skype or telephone for positions on PGCE? I really hope I don't have to travel to London for every interview! $$$
Original post by jamward83
Question - are interviews offered by Skype or telephone for positions on PGCE? I really hope I don't have to travel to London for every interview! $$$

I know Bristol universities say interview only via face to face

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Original post by jamward83

I don't think so. I flew in from the Middle East for mine and a friend flew back from Moscow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to do primary pgce 2016 in Manchester!

Anyone same as me? :biggrin:
Hi!

I've had 3 days of proper experience so far and have another 6 planned in a few weeks time. I also have a third school waiting for my to get my uni timetable so we can arrange dates and a fourth that has instructed me to liaise with their head of department next week.

I haven't started on my personal statement yet (or asked people to be my referees - I'm waiting for uni to start back up and I'm worried they'll say no as I'm a part-time postgrad student so they don't see much of me!)

I've also been a coordinator for a widening access project that works with schools at uni for nearly a year, have adapted, planned and delivered a workshop by myself for my uni's widening access summer school, and have worked in a primary school as a midday supervisor for over a year (but I'm applying for secondary so I don't know how much help that will be).

I still feel like everyone else is going to have way more experience though!

I'm applying for Latin with Classics at KCL and Cambridge and maybe Sussex's History with Latin or History with Classical Civilization but I don't really want to teach modern history, I want to teach Latin and Classics, so I'm not sure.

Those are the only unis that offer Classics PGCEs to those not already working as teachers so I'm a bit limited.

I'm also terrified of the whole process!
Reply 28
Hey Aemiliana,

You seem like you will have a lot more school experience than me: I can really only do 5 days and that will be cutting it fine as it can only be the second week of November - I really wanted to apply end of October as soon as possible!

However I am a bit older, so hopefully some of my previous work experience will help me along.

But anyway, the point is: I go through ups and downs of feeling like I might have a chance, and then thinking that everyone else is much better than me and oh god why am I even trying....

Don't worry about other people, you be you and do your best without a worry what anyone else is doing. It sounds like you'll have at least the minimum required experience, so focus on your personal statement, skills tests, why you want to teach, and enjoy the experience while you're in the schools. Quality over quantity I would hope!
Original post by fergi
Hey Aemiliana,

You seem like you will have a lot more school experience than me: I can really only do 5 days and that will be cutting it fine as it can only be the second week of November - I really wanted to apply end of October as soon as possible!

However I am a bit older, so hopefully some of my previous work experience will help me along.

But anyway, the point is: I go through ups and downs of feeling like I might have a chance, and then thinking that everyone else is much better than me and oh god why am I even trying....

Don't worry about other people, you be you and do your best without a worry what anyone else is doing. It sounds like you'll have at least the minimum required experience, so focus on your personal statement, skills tests, why you want to teach, and enjoy the experience while you're in the schools. Quality over quantity I would hope!

Thanks for the pep talk! My main worry is the fact that there are about 36 places in the UK for the PGCE I want to do and it's really competitive.

Plus, not many state schools do Classics, certainly none near me, so I've ended up observing French and History and will observe English and History next month. I'm hoping that the fourth school, a private school that teaches the entire Classics curriculum (Latin, Greek, Classical Civilisation, and Ancient History) will let me observe a day or two so I don't end up having not actually observed the subjects I want to teach!

I'm sure your experience will count towards it - trying to fit things around work is tricky! As others have said, I've heard of people saying that unis listen if you say you're going to do more at a later date, after all it's difficult for people working full-time!

I'm only part-time at work and uni but I'm probably going to have to skive uni if I manage to get any experience at the private school (technically I'm not allowed to take holidays from work as I work in a school so get the school holidays off but all the other schools are closed then).

If you make those days count I'm sure it won't hinder your application.

I'm sure you'll love your week in school - I enjoyed mine so much that I nearly begged them to let me carry on coming in for the rest of the term! The students were so lovely and imaginative, not to mention funny - some of the things they came out with during lessons was a real insight to how they think and I'll never forget the 'party hat' one recommended as the accent needed over a vowel in French.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Aemiliana
Thanks for the pep talk! My main worry is the fact that there are about 36 places in the UK for the PGCE I want to do and it's really competitive.

Plus, not many state schools do Classics, certainly none near me, so I've ended up observing French and History and will observe English and History next month. I'm hoping that the fourth school, a private school that teaches the entire Classics curriculum (Latin, Greek, Classical Civilisation, and Ancient History) will let me observe a day or two so I don't end up having not actually observed the subjects I want to teach!

I'm sure your experience will count towards it - trying to fit things around work is tricky! As others have said, I've heard of people saying that unis listen if you say you're going to do more at a later date, after all it's difficult for people working full-time!

I'm only part-time at work and uni but I'm probably going to have to skive uni if I manage to get any experience at the private school (technically I'm not allowed to take holidays from work as I work in a school so get the school holidays off but all the other schools are closed then).

If you make those days count I'm sure it won't hinder your application.

I'm sure you'll love your week in school - I enjoyed mine so much that I nearly begged them to let me carry on coming in for the rest of the term! The students were so lovely and imaginative, not to mention funny - some of the things they came out with during lessons was a real insight to how they think and I'll never forget the 'party hat' one recommended as the accent needed over a vowel in French.

Can you not observe history lessons? I observed/assisted in maths lessons and I those lessons I actually learnt/reflected the most in.
Can you not observe history lessons? I observed/assisted in maths lessons and I those lessons I actually learnt/reflected the most in.

Yeah I've observed history already and will again at the next school (and maybe a third too). One of the teachers was really keen for me to get involved and help the class so that was great and I really enjoyed it, even though I didn't know anything about the history they were studying (they were doing the Medicine Through Time course).

I ended up doing the same in French - purposefully aiming to help the most disengaged and difficult kids. I tend to get along fairly well with angry boys so even though I don't know much French it was great to be able to get them to sit down, do their work and have a nice chat with them.
Reply 32
Yeah I've observed history already and will again at the next school (and maybe a third too). One of the teachers was really keen for me to get involved and help the class so that was great and I really enjoyed it, even though I didn't know anything about the history they were studying (they were doing the Medicine Through Time course).

I ended up doing the same in French - purposefully aiming to help the most disengaged and difficult kids. I tend to get along fairly well with angry boys so even though I don't know much French it was great to be able to get them to sit down, do their work and have a nice chat with them.

I like working with the difficult kids too, I've got an arrangement with one of them that if I ever own two Lamborghinis he gets one ahaha
I like working with the difficult kids too, I've got an arrangement with one of them that if I ever own two Lamborghinis he gets one ahaha

Haha, best get saving then! (Also I totally misread that as Lambrini and started wondering what you were doing).
Original post by Cindy2015
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to do primary pgce 2016 in Manchester!

Anyone same as me? :biggrin:

Me! :smile: Man Met is my first choice. Which uni you applying for?
Does anyone know when the 2016 bursaries will be announced? If the one for my subject changes too much I might have to take a year out to save so I'm eager to know.
Reply 36
Does anyone know when the 2016 bursaries will be announced? If the one for my subject changes too much I might have to take a year out to save so I'm eager to know.

When I got a phone call yesterday from dept of education they said they arent sure yet.
Reply 37
Hi All,

Thanks to whoever started up this thread - it's been really interesting & helpful!

I will be applying for 2016 teacher training (primary) in the Tyne & Wear area. Not sure if I'll do Uni, ITT or School Direct. I've found it really hard to get my head around Teacher Training tbh and so I'm still researching. It will most probably come down to funding. Whilst the Internet is really informative; for me talking to people face to face has been the most helpful! So for those in doubt, I recommend getting out to schools, college, uni's etc and ask, ask, ask! Also a wee chat with Josh from the Department of Education (0800 389 2500) helped me out loads. I explained my circumstances and he advised me of all my options.

I'm currently begging schools to let me volunteer with them - although I'll need to wait for them to start up again before I get my foot in the door. I wonder if anyone can recommend any primary schools (preferably with SEN/LLD) in the North East that offer good pgce experience? Has anyone completed SCITT / School Direct / PGCE in the North East before?

Best of luck to everyone! x
(edited 8 years ago)

Likewise... What will your subject be?

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)

+1 also hoping that my subject will stay on the bursary list, otherwise there's no way I can go ahead with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending