The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChancedTravels
I have about 5 days experience in weekly half days from Jan-July this year but really struggling to find a weekly placement or week long work experience to top me up :frown: :frown:
Feel like I've sent about a hundred emails!!

Do we need to have the exact dates of our school experience? Cause I don't know if I'll remember mine....

emailing doesn't works. Either you have to call them or go in person. Always get contacts of Head of your preferred subject and ask them directly. This worked for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Niyo123
emailing doesn't works. Either you have to call them or go in person. Always get contacts of Head of your preferred subject and ask them directly. This worked for me.

I'm primary and always got experience previously through email - phone I tended to get fobbed off my receptionists who weren't that bothered haha. Followed up some emails with calls today and a school I previously volunteered at have said I should be able to do a full week there in early nov so it should all come together!!
Original post by Niyo123
I am also like you. Where are you preparing literacy from?

Site called s-cool

Have a look at it, it's good!

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Original post by sjla94
I have got the 'Passtjng the QTS Skills Test' books for both literacy and numeracy. I had a flick through the literacy book and it seemed quite good at explaining what you need to know. I do struggle with the last few questions (I can't remember what it's called) and the book really helped me with that! I will try to do a full Maths test later because last time, I panicked after question 2 of the maths test 😂.

Also, what school/ working with children experience does everyone have? I worked as a nanny, volunteered for children's ministry and briefly worked as a Fieldworker gathering data in a secondary school. I also volunteered as a Coordinator for an organisation called GCSE Succes but we weren't successful in setting it up in my local area - do you think this is worth mentioning in my Personal Statement?

Have a got a link to the books you got mate? Worth having a look! Cheers

Hi all. Im now considering going down a key stage and maybe looking at applying for early years teaching. Is anyone else doing this? Would love to have a chat with anyone who is! :smile:
Original post by shannonbeth
Hi all. Im now considering going down a key stage and maybe looking at applying for early years teaching. Is anyone else doing this? Would love to have a chat with anyone who is! :smile:

I'm applying for early years :smile:

Im a little confused as theres a 0-5 course at worcester and warwick but they arent on ucas. Is there a different application process? It seems more confusing than the primary applications I did last year haha
Im a little confused as theres a 0-5 course at worcester and warwick but they arent on ucas. Is there a different application process? It seems more confusing than the primary applications I did last year haha

I'm applying for early years pgce, so 3-7... If pure applying for the EYT stuff, be warned, you end up doing much the same as a normal teacher but can't be employed by a state school and can't get paid as much as if you have QTS!
I just booked my skills tests!

They're just under a month after applications open so I'm hoping that I can get my references to do their end quickly.

If not, I can rearrange them anyway.
I'm applying for early years pgce, so 3-7... If pure applying for the EYT stuff, be warned, you end up doing much the same as a normal teacher but can't be employed by a state school and can't get paid as much as if you have QTS!

Oh really? So it would be best to apply for the 3-7 pgce rather than the EYITT? Thanks, I havent looked too far into it as yet so need all the advice I can get!
Oh really? So it would be best to apply for the 3-7 pgce rather than the EYITT? Thanks, I havent looked too far into it as yet so need all the advice I can get!

It depends what you're looking to do. Early years pgce focuses on EYFS but allows you to teach nursery up to year 6, and gives QTS. eYITT would be fine if you only plan to work in nurseries, free schools, private etc but will generally mean a lower wage - but has more focus on under threes :smile:

There is a fair amount of info about this in the TES forums if I remember correctly so might be useful to look there in the early years section!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kayleigh1994
Do we have to pass our skills tests before applying through UCAS? Or can we wait until after we (hopefully) have offers?

You can't take your test until after you have applied :smile:
Original post by Aemiliana
I just booked my skills tests!

They're just under a month after applications open so I'm hoping that I can get my references to do their end quickly.

If not, I can rearrange them anyway.

Yeah I've done the same.. :-)

Same! However I've found that there is a definite drop in the number of providers offering early years places since last year! There's only one local uni offering it and hardly any school direct routes.
You can't take your test until after you have applied :smile:

Thanks... is there any benefit to booking them now? Or does make no difference?

The only benefit is that they seem to book up quickly - I couldn't actually get the days I wanted at the end of November.

But obviously don't rush to book them early if you don't feel ready for them - it's £20 to take them again and if you fail 3 times you're locked out of teacher training for a year or two.

I have booked mine so I know they will be out the way, and to motivate me to revise for them - also I'll only be applying a couple of weeks before my test, which means I should be able to say at interview that I've already passed them (touch wood), which they will no doubt be pleased with!
I have mine on 27th November. Have done one online test for each. LIteracy 90% but Maths....42% :/ So I'm now spending every spare moment I have with my QTS Maths book...I reckon I'll be alright by the 27th Nov...:redface:
Completed another day in a school.. This time A-Level biology and chemistry! Now I don't know which one to choose biology or chemistry :-/

Original post by Lambert87
Completed another day in a school.. This time A-Level biology and chemistry! Now I don't know which one to choose biology or chemistry :-/

Pretty sure that once you have a job you generally have to teach all sciences anyway, so I wouldn't worry over it too much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending