The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Praying for physics bursary to increase
Original post by Just Josh
+1 also hoping that my subject will stay on the bursary list, otherwise there's no way I can go ahead with it

What's your subject?

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Original post by Lambert87
What's your subject?

Computer Science, it only became available a few years ago and amount keeps changing. Hoping a 2.1 will still be worth 20K and that there are still some scholarships. Very frustrating they don't release the bursaries/scholarships until November, as people need this information to be able to plan their options
Reply 43
Anyone use twitter? Maybe we should make a list of twitter/prospective courses?
Computer Science, it only became available a few years ago and amount keeps changing. Hoping a 2.1 will still be worth 20K and that there are still some scholarships. Very frustrating they don't release the bursaries/scholarships until November, as people need this information to be able to plan their options

Mines biology or chemistry... They are making biology a shortage subject for 2016 so wondered what the bursary will be!

Hi there

I am thinking of applying for a Primary salaried schools direct place for Sep 2016 and I'm 39!! Been thinking about re training for awhile and my youngest starts school this September so seems like an ideal time!

Just need to really really be sure it's the right thing for me in terms of money/commitment/stress etc etc!! All very exciting though!

x
Original post by TunaTunnel
Hey guys, its about time we got a thread going for prospective PGCE applicants applying for 2016 entry.

Has anyone else started gaining experience or written their personal statement?
What subject are you looking to study?
Where are you applying?

Hey!

I'm 24, will be 25 next month. I am going for a Primary PGCE (preferably upper if choice is allowed!) My worry is being a guy, I've noticed primary education is such a heavily female dominated area which worries me!

I've started writing up some of my statement, drawing on experience of working with youngsters through coaching sports and working at a summer camp in America. Will finish it off once I get some classroom experience.

I've got in contact with as many local schools as possible, so just a waiting game now, though I have heard back from a couple already! :smile:

I'm hoping to apply Worcester (local), NTU (alumni), and just need to think of one more university!

Any other PGCE Primary prospect? :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jimbles
Hey!

I'm 24, will be 25 next month. I am going for a Primary PGCE (preferably upper if choice is allowed!) My worry is being a guy, I've noticed primary education is such a heavily female dominated area which worries me!

I've started writing up some of my statement, drawing on experience of working with youngsters through coaching sports and working at a summer camp in America. Will finish it off once I get some classroom experience.

I've got in contact with as many local schools as possible, so just a waiting game now, though I have heard back from a couple already! :smile:

I'm hoping to apply Worcester (local), NTU (alumni), and just need to think of one more university!

Any other PGCE Primary prospect? :smile:

Primary teachers are dominated by females but my friend (a male) applied he got interviews for all 3 applications and they even stated that he was in a good position being a male..

Can I ask, what did you email the schools asking? I need to do this, this weekend?

Cheers

Primary teachers are dominated by females but my friend (a male) applied he got interviews for all 3 applications and they even stated that he was in a good position being a male..

Can I ask, what did you email the schools asking? I need to do this, this weekend?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh fair enough! I just thought being a female dominated are due to women being seen as the carers of young as such, it would put me at a disadvantage!

I just basically dropped an email saying I'm hoping to get onto a PGCE next year, any classroom experience they can offer would be great. If they could help me out or direct me to the person I'd have to speak to. I said I was willing to pop in for a chat beforehand. Just making it sound keen and letting them know I am serious in looking.

I emailed 27 local primary schools yesterday. 4 have replied already. Which is impressive seeing as nobody is back at school until next week!
Hi I am a 49 year old mature student studying Early Childhood Studies at Stranmillis University College in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am very keen to do a PGCE starting September 2016. There appears to only be 2 options for this in NI - PGCE in Early Years Education at Stranmillis or Primary Education at Ulster, Coleraine. I have extensive experience gained from working as a classroom assistant in the primary sector. I currently work with children with SEN in both literacy and numeracy on a one to one basis. I am also a qualified and experienced phonics practitioner. I am concerned that my age may go against me when applying. Also, I am aware that I may have to apply outside NI for courses which as a mother I would find difficult but would be willing to so to get this qualification. Any advice would be most welcome
Reply 50
Original post by blackfort15
Hi I am a 49 year old mature student studying Early Childhood Studies at Stranmillis University College in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am very keen to do a PGCE starting September 2016. There appears to only be 2 options for this in NI - PGCE in Early Years Education at Stranmillis or Primary Education at Ulster, Coleraine. I have extensive experience gained from working as a classroom assistant in the primary sector. I currently work with children with SEN in both literacy and numeracy on a one to one basis. I am also a qualified and experienced phonics practitioner. I am concerned that my age may go against me when applying. Also, I am aware that I may have to apply outside NI for courses which as a mother I would find difficult but would be willing to so to get this qualification. Any advice would be most welcome

Course providers really seem to value having people from lots of different backgrounds on their course so age shouldn't be an issue at all. A few career changers I've spoken to have said that, when they applied, they were told that coming to the profession later than others might mean that they have important life experiences (and actual classroom experience) that they can bring to their teaching that younger students can't, so it can actually be an advantage.

Original post by jimbles

Oh fair enough! I just thought being a female dominated are due to women being seen as the carers of young as such, it would put me at a disadvantage!

The lack of good male role models for boys in primary schools is an issue that is brought up quite often by experts and some universities even have bursaries available for male primary trainees, so it's actually something that a lot of people are seeing as a problem that needs tackling.
Reply 51
I found ringing schools asking about experience seemed pretty useful.
When I got a phone call yesterday from dept of education they said they arent sure yet.

Oh that's a pain.

Likewise... What will your subject be?

Hopefully Latin with Classics. It's currently in the language category (and there's supposedly a huge shortage of Classics teachers) but I'm worried it won't stay there.

+1 also hoping that my subject will stay on the bursary list, otherwise there's no way I can go ahead with it

Same - the only two unis I can do that particular PGCE at are in very expensive areas and the loan would only cover rent - I'd still need money for food, transport, and work clothes!

Praying for physics bursary to increase

Seeing as physics currently has the highest bursary I;m not sure how likely that is.
I found ringing schools asking about experience seemed pretty useful.

I did the same.

Ringing the school reception/office is best as every school seems to have a different way of going about it.

Some had a dedicated person for arranging this sort of thing, others went through the head of department or assistant head, and one put me through to the headmaster's PA who asked that I write a letter to the headmaster, who in turn told me to contact the head of department! That was for a private school though and I think that they wanted to see that I was keen (and possibly that I had good grammar?)

If you don't hear back from them, hassle them! Sometimes people just forget or your email gets lost. Just keep on them and eventually they'll break and let you in for some experience. :colone:
Reply 54
Original post by Aemiliana
I did the same.

Ringing the school reception/office is best as every school seems to have a different way of going about it.

Some had a dedicated person for arranging this sort of thing, others went through the head of department or assistant head, and one put me through to the headmaster's PA who asked that I write a letter to the headmaster, who in turn told me to contact the head of department! That was for a private school though and I think that they wanted to see that I was keen (and possibly that I had good grammar?)

If you don't hear back from them, hassle them! Sometimes people just forget or your email gets lost. Just keep on them and eventually they'll break and let you in for some experience. :colone:

Did you already have your CRB check before ringing for experience ? I'm a little unsure whether I need to do it beforehand or after getting a work experience place .
Reply 55
I did the same.

I've had a similar experience with private schools. They seem pretty difficult to arrange experience with and the most reluctant to use email. Current got 4 private schools im trying to sort out dates with, one wants a DBS which I dont have :frown: (yet)
Reply 56
Original post by chloeww
Did you already have your CRB check before ringing for experience ? I'm a little unsure whether I need to do it beforehand or after getting a work experience place .

Out of the 11 schools I've been in contact with only 1 has requested it (all girls school).
Original post by chloeww

I have a CRB check for the work I currently do in a local primary school.

One secondary school (an academy) wanted to see it but didn't mind that technically, as I hadn't registered for the extended type, it wasn't a valid CRB check for working elsewhere. It seemed like they'd have sorted it if I didn't have one at all though.

And the other secondary school (a comprehensive) didn't care - I emailed to check and they said it wasn't necessary. In fairness, you're not left alone with the kids during work experience from what I've done so far so one isn't necessary.

The third and fourth schools that have said they might give me experience haven't set out anything concrete yet - one knows me from my widening access work at their school so maybe they trust me haha, and the other hasn't gotten as far as offering me dates etc.

Also, this may be outdated information now (I've had CRB check going back 5 or 6 years so I may have confused old rules with new), as far as I'm aware you can't apply for one yourself - it has to be done for you by a school or organization.

If you do end up getting one though, make sure to read what it says about registering it so it stays updated. It costs about £20 but means that you don't need a new one for each new job.

Just contact them and get the ball rolling. If they don't ask for one, double check that they don't need to get one sorted but you should be fine.
I've had a similar experience with private schools. They seem pretty difficult to arrange experience with and the most reluctant to use email. Current got 4 private schools im trying to sort out dates with, one wants a DBS which I dont have :frown: (yet)

Yes, I don't understand why they are so reluctant to use email! I have to send a letter this weekend on my fanciest paper to the Classics department of one to ask if they could pretty please let me get some experience at some point. The cost of the stamps and stationery alone, I could be on my way to paying PGCE fees!

Have you asked them if that's something they'll sort?
Reply 59
Yes, I don't understand why they are so reluctant to use email! I have to send a letter this weekend on my fanciest paper to the Classics department of one to ask if they could pretty please let me get some experience at some point. The cost of the stamps and stationery alone, I could be on my way to paying PGCE fees!

Have you asked them if that's something they'll sort?

Not yet, they're meeting to discuss me not needing one soon. I get a free one with Durham Uni when I voluenteer next term so I wanted to use that.

My biggest issue right now is the fact I've lost all my GCSE/A-level certificates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending