The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TunaTunnel
I did one through SEP, it was really annoying to sort out. I also organised one through the Institute of Physics. I've much preferred just contacting schools myself.

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make sure I could contact the schools for experience lasting longer than 3 days (I've been DBS checked) and I didn't know whether I had to go through SEP to do so! :smile:
Original post by Lambert87
I emailed all the local secondary schools (found them on edu website) earlier asking.. See what they say!! The SEP thing looks crap

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)

Cheers for the advice, and out of curiosity how long did it take the schools to respond?
Is it worth re applying for a PGCE I've been rejected from twice? first time in 2011 but I took some time out to do other things (some relevant to the subject I wish to teach!), and second time was this year :s-smilie:

They said it was due to my degree classification as I did not achieve a 2:1 or above when I graduated in 2010! There's really nothing I can do about that but I feel I should re apply and take my chances. It's a post compulsory education PGCE at Brighton University and I didn't expect my degree classification to hold me back given my work experience - having worked on films etc and wanting to teach film studies but it did!

My experience relating to teaching is limited though as I volunteer at Brownies and a homework club but haven't managed to secure any classroom experience since the few days I did back in 2011 as schools either don't reply or have said they don't have any need for classroom assistants at the moment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by clara_oswald
Is it worth re applying for a PGCE I've been rejected from twice? first time in 2011 but I took some time out to do other things (some relevant to the subject I wish to teach!), and second time was this year :s-smilie:

They said it was due to my degree classification as I did not achieve a 2:1 or above when I graduated in 2010! There's really nothing I can do about that but I feel I should re apply and take my chances. It's a post compulsory education PGCE at Brighton University and I didn't expect my degree classification to hold me back given my work experience - having worked on films etc and wanting to teach film studies but it did!

My experience relating to teaching is limited though as I volunteer at Brownies and a homework club but haven't managed to secure any classroom experience since the few days I did back in 2011 as schools either don't reply or have said they don't have any need for classroom assistants at the moment.

Where is this? Everywhere seems to take at least 2:2's, Durham even takes 3rds for physics.
Where is this? Everywhere seems to take at least 2:2's, Durham even takes 3rds for physics.

Brighton, they didn't raise it as an issue when I applied in 2011 and only said I had been a bit too quiet at interview, but this time round I wasn't even offered an interview and had to enquire to find out why and that's when they said I would be hard to place without a 2:1 :frown:

I can't move away because of my living and working arrangements so I'm suck with only being able to apply for Brighton :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 85
Brighton, they didn't raise it as an issue when I applied in 2011 and only said I had been a bit too quiet at interview, but this time round I wasn't even offered an interview and had to enquire to find out why and that's when they said I would be hard to place without a 2:1 :frown:

I can't move away because of my living and working arrangements so I'm suck with only being able to apply for Brighton :s-smilie:

Then apply to other places and get more experience in schools. The general consensus to me was that universities dont care if you have a 1st/2:1/2:2, you've done a degree in X subject you have enough knowledge to teach at GCSE/A-level. They'd rather take a physics student 2:2 who is confident, charismatic and shows potential over someone with a 1st and is introverted.
Then apply to other places and get more experience in schools. The general consensus to me was that universities dont care if you have a 1st/2:1/2:2, you've done a degree in X subject you have enough knowledge to teach at GCSE/A-level. They'd rather take a physics student 2:2 who is confident, charismatic and shows potential over someone with a 1st and is introverted.

Maths and physics are totally different. Nobody is going to turn you down for a physics PGCE with a physics degree no matter what classification. In non shortage subjects where they get more applications than places they have to narrow the field somehow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edwardseo07
Cheers for the advice, and out of curiosity how long did it take the schools to respond?

A day -- some a bit more
I have had some responses from schools this morning allowing me to do work experience but they want me to have a DBS check (which is fine) but how can I get one without an employer sponsoring/requesting it?
I have had some responses from schools this morning allowing me to do work experience but they want me to have a DBS check (which is fine) but how can I get one without an employer sponsoring/requesting it?

If you are a volunteer DBS is free so the school can give you a form. Lots of schools don't require you to get one though because you won't be alone with the kids at any point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this might be a silly question. But what exactly can I expect from classroom experience?

I have one school saying I can come in for classroom experience, just need a dbs. Got to call the head tomorrow to discuss this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am thinking of applying for Primary starting in 2016. I will have just turned 27 then. I am currently a PhD student (due to finish in January), but I am not keen to stay on doing research. I live too far away from any universities to do a PGCE, so I am looking at applying for 3 School Direct places. My local primary (5 mins walk away) are part of the local training alliance, so that would be ideal, but another relatively local training alliance offer a Primary with Maths course which interests me a lot. I have a couple of information evenings lined up to get more info about their 2016 courses.

I went to the information course for my local primary course this time last year and managed to set up some experience there last December. I absolutely loved the week - I was with year 1 and it was in the run up to their Christmas play so I got to help out with their alternative nativity rehearsals. They were so cute. I need to set up some more experience though. I have been a Brownie leader since I turned 18, and recently started doing private tutoring. Also got 6 years experience working at a play scheme for disabled children, so lots of SEN experience under my belt!
Reply 92
Original post by jimbles
I know this might be a silly question. But what exactly can I expect from classroom experience?

I have one school saying I can come in for classroom experience, just need a dbs. Got to call the head tomorrow to discuss this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went around helping students during practicals and lessons. Ask questions about what they're doing, see if they have any issues, maybe ask some more advanced questions to get them thinking.
If you sign up to premier plus (if your teaching a shortage subject) they accept that :-)

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)

I think I have a few voicemails from my 'dedicated advisor' for that but 1) Although languages count I feel like they're going to turn around and say, "Latin? Oh yeah that doesn't really qualify" even though I put Classics as my first choice and history as my second (Latin falls under Classics).

But I did have a look at Cambridge's website after this conversation, and if I get invited to interview they'll want proof that I've booked the skills tests so I think I will try taking them sometime in November before uni gets busy.

Original post by jimbles
Cheers guys! I'll look into those. As everyone else, its mainly my maths one I'm worried about!

There was a website linked somewhere on this forum that had loads of practice tests for a ~£20/year subscription that I'm thinking of using. I have an AS and two GCSEs in maths so I know all the stuff we have to learn, I've just forgotten it and doing past papers was always the best way for me.

I think it was this site but I'll double check.

I've also downloaded a mental maths app on my phone to get used to doing that too. It's been surprisingly helpful - I never would have thought I'd be able to do 89 squared in my head but it showed me how and I did it!
Original post by edwardseo07

It varies from school to school - some said yes over the phone (though I haven't heard back from them yet to confirm that I'm going in next week, so I'll call them tomorrow if I don't get a reply to my email) and some never replied.

Call the reception/office of as many schools as you would be able to get to because some just won't reply. One school I'd given up on and then heard about 3 weeks later (they're now waiting for me to tell them when I'm free after I have my uni timetable. I have met and worked with this teacher before so maybe that's why they're being so lenient).

Don't ask about being a classroom assistant, ask about work experience for a PGCE/doing classroom observation - assistant makes it sound like they need to pay you whereas experience or observation makes it clear that it's free and that you won't get in the way (unless invited to!) so that may have put them off?

Original post by jimbles

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sat in the classes and observed at first - I made note of behavior management techniques and whether or not they worked, how they taught (use of plenaries, objectives, how different teachers taught the same lesson and if this changed engagement), use of ICT and the layout of the rooms and if this affected behavior etc.

Several of the teachers were keen for me to go around and talk to the children, ask them what they're doing etc so I did that and did more and more of that towards the end of the week (apart from the very last lesson because they were revising and I didn't want to interrupt them - those that I did made it very obvious that they just wanted to revise!).

I was also timetabled time to speak to heads of departments so we talked about the new curriculum changes (e.g. the new GCSEs and their 9-1 grading rather than A*-G, how they're being implemented over different years etc).
Reply 95
Actually getting places organising school experience finally, should have a week in a local secondary school sorted. Going for a meeting tomorrow to arrange a week at a local primary school afterwards. Aiming to fill these next 5 weeks with enough experience possible.
Original post by fluffyowl
I am thinking of applying for Primary starting in 2016. I will have just turned 27 then. I am currently a PhD student (due to finish in January), but I am not keen to stay on doing research. I live too far away from any universities to do a PGCE, so I am looking at applying for 3 School Direct places. My local primary (5 mins walk away) are part of the local training alliance, so that would be ideal, but another relatively local training alliance offer a Primary with Maths course which interests me a lot. I have a couple of information evenings lined up to get more info about their 2016 courses.

I went to the information course for my local primary course this time last year and managed to set up some experience there last December. I absolutely loved the week - I was with year 1 and it was in the run up to their Christmas play so I got to help out with their alternative nativity rehearsals. They were so cute. I need to set up some more experience though. I have been a Brownie leader since I turned 18, and recently started doing private tutoring. Also got 6 years experience working at a play scheme for disabled children, so lots of SEN experience under my belt!

Finally, I've found another PhDer wanting to go into Primary teaching! I'm in a similar position to you, although I will be applying for 2017 entry as I finish later than you. I'm looking to do the PGCE/PGDE route, but if I were you I would apply to both School's Direct and the local training alliance and see what comes of it!

I'm booked into going to an information evening for a local course too and starting classroom experience soon so I think you're 1 year ahead of me on everything!

Out of interest, do you think you're going to use your Dr title or stick with Miss/Mrs/Ms/Mr when you're teaching? I thought it might be confusing to have a Dr title for the students but I don't know any other PhD people going into primary teaching to ask!

How did you find taking time off your PhD to get classroom experience and get all your relevant experience?
Reply 97
Im thinking of applying for a PGCE for 2016. Im currently in my final year of my law degree.
Ideally I would like to teach history but because my degree isn't in history i'm finding that universities are not willing to accept me. Ive heard that geography is now a shortage subject but i cant find a subject enhancement course which would allow me to teach geography either, all seem to be maths or sciences.

Has anyone any advice which could help me overcome this? Or could anyone recommend which subject I would be able to teach?

I am eligible to teach primary but it was secondary I really wanted to teach

Thanks
Actually getting places organising school experience finally, should have a week in a local secondary school sorted. Going for a meeting tomorrow to arrange a week at a local primary school afterwards. Aiming to fill these next 5 weeks with enough experience possible.

Nice one.... Do you work at the moment? I do and will find it tough but it needs to be done
Classroom experience sorted :smile: :smile:

1 week in a "challenging school" and a taster day in another school with talks about behavior and classroom management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending