The Student Room Group

Should I drop out?

(Way too much) Context:
I'm doing a maths degree at a pretty good university, I enjoy everything about university, except my course. I chose maths because I liked it at alevel, and it supposedly leads to a variety of moderately well paid jobs (shallow, I know).
Because I don't know what career I want to do I'm finding it impossible to motivate myself and thinking of the future just really depresses me. Thus I've spent first year going out very little, trying to work really hard, but mostly just procrastinating and achieving very little. I'd like to change course but I'm still completely clueless as to what I want to do.
So I guess my options are take a year out and then reapply for something else, or stick it out and probably get a really bad grade.
I'm worried that maybe I'm just a lazy person and won't work hard regardless.
Reply 1
Original post by Nala1
(Way too much) Context:
I'm doing a maths degree at a pretty good university, I enjoy everything about university, except my course. I chose maths because I liked it at alevel, and it supposedly leads to a variety of moderately well paid jobs (shallow, I know).
Because I don't know what career I want to do I'm finding it impossible to motivate myself and thinking of the future just really depresses me. Thus I've spent first year going out very little, trying to work really hard, but mostly just procrastinating and achieving very little. I'd like to change course but I'm still completely clueless as to what I want to do.
So I guess my options are take a year out and then reapply for something else, or stick it out and probably get a really bad grade.
I'm worried that maybe I'm just a lazy person and won't work hard regardless.

What subject would you think about swapping to?

Quick Reply

Latest