The Student Room Group

Annoying trig integral

Hi

I have this integral 0πdx1+acos(x) ,where a<1\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 \frac{dx}{1 + acos(x)}\ \mathrm{, where\ } a < 1 , the answer to which is

Spoiler

I seem to be useless with the normal tangent half-angle substitution because I can't get my head around the fact that one of my limits becomes undefined. Is there a 'usual' way to deal with this? I have a method to do it by considering the function from 0 to 2π2\pi and halving the result, but is there a better way?

(I also suspect the paper meant a<1 |a| < 1 , any thoughts?

*****gr8wizard10*******
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by klegend02
Hi

I have this integral 0πdx1+acos(x) ,where a<1\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 \frac{dx}{1 + acos(x)}\ \mathrm{, where\ } a < 1 , the answer to which is

Spoiler

The t = tan(x/2) substitution should work fine - it transforms the integral into a standard inverse trigonometric one.

I seem to be useless with the normal tangent half-angle substitution because I can't get my head around the fact that one of my limits becomes undefined.

One of the limits becomes +infinity but that is not a problem ultimately, as its arc-tangent is defined.

Is there a 'usual' way to deal with this?

At a more elevated (university) level this is a standard integral to approach with residue theory/complex analysis.

(I also suspect the paper meant a<1 |a| < 1 , any thoughts?

Yes, it should have stated that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending