The Student Room Group

Is "You alright" a plebby / commoner greeting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ldsbabe
Do you know slang in every other language/country? Almost every other culture and language I have encountered has an alternative greeting to 'hello'.

Nope, I went to Germany and everyone greeted with "Hallo" or "Guten tag"

In Amsterdam everyone said hello

In America it was "Hey man" and sometimes "What's up", followed by "How are you?" but atleast they were still saying actual words instead of "yrite mateeee"

Just sounds so awful
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loya61

In America it was "Hey man" and sometimes "What's up" but atleast they were still saying actual words instead of "yrite mateeee"

Just sounds so awful

Errr ok then. Maybe they knew you were English (assuming you are)?
I lived in New York and I know not everyone says 'Hey'.
You're just embarrassing yourself now.
There are little colloquialisms and changes to the language wherever you go. Stop being a ball bag.
People of all classes are likely to use it, especially men who regularly talk their class down (women talk it up). However at root yes it is a bit "common" - as distinct, I think, from simply "informal".
Original post by loya61

In America it was "Hey man" and sometimes "What's up", followed by "How are you?" but atleast they were still saying actual words instead of "yrite mateeee"

Just sounds so awful

Why is "you all right mate?" not actual words?
I use it all the time.

But then I grew up conversing with the lower classes :gangster:

It's like the first thing I say whenever I meet someone. Even at interviews. I can't help it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I say it to make posh people uncomfortable.
wtf am i supposed to say? "salutations"

Reply 28
Of course it is. Why are you obsessed with what sounds "classy"?
What I've noticed from being surrounded by people of all class and creed is that, to be deemed posh or not, it doesn't really matter what you say, it's how you say it.

Whether your upper, upper middle, middle, lower middle and lower, it's how you say something that's important, not really what you say.

I wouldn't bother to change what you say, if you want people to think you're a sophisticated person, then change your accent. There is certainly a correlation between wealth and level of education, and thus, the wealthier you are, the likelier you are to be better educated, and furthermore, have more vocab as your disposal.

I've met a lot of 'posh' people who say stupid things, and still sound sophisticated. On the other hand, I've also met a lot of 'non-posh' people who use sophisticated words, and still do not sound sophisticated.
Reply 30
Original post by scriberg

You could say:

"Hello / Hey / Hi" followed by "How are you?"

You know, things that people with at least a bit of class would say"
Original post by scriberg

yo i laughed too loud man. :rofl:
Lower class.... Commoner?

Do you actually realise how pathetically snobby you sound? You don't actually use those terms in real life do you?

And yes I say 'alright'. And sometimes that evens turns into an 'orite?'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Twinpeaks
Lower class.... Commoner?

Do you actually realise how pathetically snobby you sound? You don't actually use those terms in real life do you?

Usually I use the word "pleb".. What word would you use?
Original post by Mamoixen
What I've noticed from being surrounded by people of all class and creed is that, to be deemed posh or not, it doesn't really matter what you say, it's how you say it.

Whether your upper, upper middle, middle, lower middle and lower, it's how you say something that's important, not really what you say.

I wouldn't bother to change what you say, if you want people to think you're a sophisticated person, then change your accent. There is certainly a correlation between wealth and level of education, and thus, the wealthier you are, the likelier you are to be better educated, and furthermore, have more vocab as your disposal.

I've met a lot of 'posh' people who say stupid things, and still sound sophisticated. On the other hand, I've also met a lot of 'non-posh' people who use sophisticated words, and still do not sound sophisticated.

Speak for yourself. Don't assume that the rest of us judge an individual by their accent, as opposed to the words they say. That's just your ignorance.
Original post by loya61
You could say:

"Hello / Hey / Hi" followed by "How are you?"

You know, things that people with at least a bit of class would say"

Classy people can make anything sound classy
No. God forbid you visit these parts and be greeted with "alwite mate" with at least one of those t's dropped.
I tried "Good morrow fair gentleman" and I got looked at like I was the strange one...
Original post by Twinpeaks
Speak for yourself. Don't assume that the rest of us judge an individual by their accent, as opposed to the words they say. That's just your ignorance.

The only assumption which I made which was clearly false, is that you can read. If you look closely at what I've written, word-by-word, syllable-by-syllable, I think with a bit of work (re-reading and analysis), if you know what that is, you'll be able to work out what I meant.

I was not generalising (lumping everybody together), nor was I being ignorant, nor was I assuming that anybody is assuming that you all judge people by their accent.

I'm genuinely sorry that you're having trouble understanding that. Anyone, good luck my dear comrade.
Reply 39
i say hey there

but you alright is alright

Quick Reply

Latest