The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I phoned Glasgow medicine admissions today and the person said that, apart from applicants meeting the minimum academic requirements, everyone is simply ranked by UKCAT score for interview.
Original post by Fibsy
I phoned Glasgow medicine admissions today and the person said that, apart from applicants meeting the minimum academic requirements, everyone is simply ranked by UKCAT score for interview.

How about the PS and references, do they not consider it any more?
When I emailed Glasgow they said that interviews are allocated based on the 'four components' (academic, personal statement, reference and UKCAT) :smile: Not sure if that helps anyone but they said they're all scored equally!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to clarify, the personal statement and reference is used in the screening process prior to interview. They do not mark it, but instead decide whether or not your are applicable to be considered for interview. They will also look at your academics during the screening process to see if you meet the standard entry requirements, after that, they rank you based on your UKCAT score, and approximately, the top 600 are given an interview 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by madmed16
Just to clarify, the personal statement and reference is used in the screening process prior to interview. They do not mark it, but instead decide whether or not your are applicable to be considered for interview. They will also look at your academics during the screening process to see if you meet the standard entry requirements, after that, they rank you based on your UKCAT score, and approximately, the top 600 are given an interview 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I thought happened for the screening process, so your p.s. and reference is just like a tick off thing right? Also do you know what style of interview Glasgow has?
Original post by idklol
That's what I thought happened for the screening process, so your p.s. and reference is just like a tick off thing right? Also do you know what style of interview Glasgow has?

Yeah! 😀

It's more or less the traditional interview, except they have two stations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Yeah! 😀

It's more or less the traditional interview, except they have two stations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you know what the two stations are?
Original post by idklol
do you know what the two stations are?

Yeah (roughly)... although I think they tell you the format of the interview anyway when you receive the invite! :smile:
Reply 48
Yeah (roughly)... although I think they tell you the format of the interview anyway when you receive the invite! :smile:
oh yeah I forgot about that, I guess that would be really useful since you know what to prepare for. Also i know this is a thread for glasgow but I couldn't find the one for edinburgh this year, so do you know how the points are allocated in terms of extra curricular and work experience?
Original post by idklol
oh yeah I forgot about that, I guess that would be really useful since you know what to prepare for. Also i know this is a thread for glasgow but I couldn't find the one for edinburgh this year, so do you know how the points are allocated in terms of extra curricular and work experience?

It is in a way, but I have no idea what the questions might be, they change them each year! :frown:

Yeah, so for marking the personal statement, they have three sections they look at (and I think you get a score between 0-3) which includes: 1) personal qualities 2) career exploration 3) achievement in non-academic activities! :smile:

What Universities are you applying to?
Reply 50
So Glasgow only look for the minimum requirements when marking academics rather than scoring who has the best academics?
Reply 51
It is in a way, but I have no idea what the questions might be, they change them each year! :frown:

Yeah, so for marking the personal statement, they have three sections they look at (and I think you get a score between 0-3) which includes: 1) personal qualities 2) career exploration 3) achievement in non-academic activities! :smile:

What Universities are you applying to?
Thank you! I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Edinburgh's the one that I'm most worried about since the competition is so high! What about you?
Original post by idklol
Thank you! I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Edinburgh's the one that I'm most worried about since the competition is so high! What about you?

You might stand a good chance!! What did you get in your UKCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm applying to St Andrews, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen! :smile:
Reply 53
You might stand a good chance!! What did you get in your UKCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm applying to St Andrews, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen! :smile:
Ooh you're applying to the same as me apart from edinburgh/dundee! Also i got 755 avg b1 really hope the average score this year is normal-ish!
Original post by idklol
Ooh you're applying to the same as me apart from edinburgh/dundee! Also i got 755 avg b1 really hope the average score this year is normal-ish!

Yeah haha! Omg well done! You should have a really good chance at Edinburgh if that's the case! You done way better than me haha! I only got 712.5 & band 2 :frown:
Reply 55
Yeah haha! Omg well done! You should have a really good chance at Edinburgh if that's the case! You done way better than me haha! I only got 712.5 & band 2 :frown:
thank you! You've done really well yourself!! I think any score over 700 is competitive, so glasgow and aberdeen are quite safe choices for securing interview offers since they only look at academic and ukcat!
Original post by SimSembi
So Glasgow only look for the minimum requirements when marking academics rather than scoring who has the best academics?

Pretty much :smile:
Original post by idklol
thank you! You've done really well yourself!! I think any score over 700 is competitive, so glasgow and aberdeen are quite safe choices for securing interview offers since they only look at academic and ukcat!

I done not too bad! I hope so!

Yeah! I kind of wish they marked the personal statement though! :redface:
Reply 58
Original post by idklol

Is it only St Andrews that rank your ukcat after interview? Not sure if its advantageous or not :P
Original post by muchensmile
Is it only St Andrews that rank your ukcat after interview? Not sure if its advantageous or not :P

From what I gathered at the Open Day, they rank you based on your interview score, but soooo many people will probably have similar scores, so I think they use the UKCAT to differentiate between those with equal interview scores...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending