The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bellbird
I it safe for me to apply with

GCSE: 3A*2A2B (I am an international applicant, and I only arrived UK with poor english when I did my GCSE, do you think they will consider that?)

AS:AAAAAA
A2: A*A(achieved)AAAA(Predicted)

UKCAT: 655avg, 2620 total (I don't think this is a very competitive score, and as they only look at my A-level for minimum requirement, that means I am not in a good position? )

My personal statement is good.
Please help me, I really like Glasgow medical school, and I would like to know what you think my chances are? (Though I am terrify for the Scottish weather, having experienced that for 5 years already in Edinburgh)

Ukcat very risky maybe have other safer choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really confused so if anyone could help I would appreciate it. I emailed Glasgow to ask how the UKCAT would be used. I was told it had 25% weighting and would be considered equally with academics, personal statement and the reference.

However, some people on this forum are saying that you are ranked based on your UKCAT? That's not equal weighting though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
I'm really confused so if anyone could help I would appreciate it. I emailed Glasgow to ask how the UKCAT would be used. I was told it had 25% weighting and would be considered equally with academics, personal statement and the reference.

However, some people on this forum are saying that you are ranked based on your UKCAT? That's not equal weighting though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most likely everyone will score highly on the other parts. Thus, UKCAT will separate us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not what they said when I phoned them :frown: can't they be consistent? Maybe the person I spoke to was unaware of the selection process changing.
When I phoned they said that academics only need to meet the minimum requirements, and after that it's all ukcat.
Original post by Fibsy
That's not what they said when I phoned them :frown: can't they be consistent? Maybe the person I spoke to was unaware of the selection process changing.
When I phoned they said that academics only need to meet the minimum requirements, and after that it's all ukcat.

I'm just really confused haha!
I just checked the email and it actually says 'interviews are allocated on the basis of four components of the application- academic attainment, personal statement, reference and UKCAT, which are considered equally... meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee an interview.'

To me that suggests it is not just minimum entry requirements followed by ranking on UKCAT, and that they are considering all elements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
I just checked the email and it actually says 'interviews are allocated on the basis of four components of the application- academic attainment, personal statement, reference and UKCAT, which are considered equally... meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee an interview.'

To me that suggests it is not just minimum entry requirements followed by ranking on UKCAT, and that they are considering all elements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It puzzles me how universities can put equal weight on personal statement and reference :/ surely references reflect the teacher writing it more than the applicant? We don't all have a teacher who knows us very well writing our reference so how can they score us on it?!

Does anyone know how they score academic attainment? GCSEs, AS or predicted A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They told me on the email to watch out on their website and it will update their informations for the use of the UKCAT and their entrance requirements, however that was over a month ago. I do not think they have really decided what to do this year yet?
Reply 87
Original post by Fibsy
I've done 7 sentences in which I've mentioned 8 extracurricular type things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you think its worth it mentioning hobbies?
Reply 88
Original post by idklol
do you think its worth it mentioning hobbies?

Yes, shows balanced approach to life. I've mentioned enjoying oil portraiture which shows creativity and all that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Does anyone know what the UKCAT cut off was for last year? And by academics, does that include GCSEs?
Original post by Ahem-
Does anyone know what the UKCAT cut off was for last year? And by academics, does that include GCSEs?

Last year the lowest UKCAT score for an applicant invited to interview was 2580!

For your GCSEs, they don't really look at them, as long as you have English at grade B or above! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many people went to the Glasgow open day? It was amazing!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 92
How many people went to the Glasgow open day? It was amazing!!
I really loved the university too! I would be so happy if I got in!
Reply 93
Original post by madmed16
Last year the lowest UKCAT score for an applicant invited to interview was 2580!

For your GCSEs, they don't really look at them, as long as you have English at grade B or above! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might risk it with a score of 2830 hmm
Reply 94
Original post by Ahem-
Might risk it with a score of 2830 hmm

My ukcat is 2830 too. Do you think it is safe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Fibsy
My ukcat is 2830 too. Do you think it is safe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it should be
Original post by Ahem-
I think it should be

And 2750? :smile:
Guys difference in selection processes between Dundee and Glasgow ? Torn between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylan_20
Guys difference in selection processes between Dundee and Glasgow ? Torn between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glasgow do not score your academics prior to interview, however Dundee do. Whether you get an interview or not is based solely on your UKCAT score (provided that you meet all other requirements) at Glasgow, whereas Dundee use a combination of both the academic and UKCAT score.

They both skim over the PS and reference to ensure you have the necessary qualities and experience to be invited to interview! However, Glasgow do not require you to have work experience, as long as you understand what the career involves. Dundee on the other hand expect you to have a minimum of 2 weeks of clinical exposure.

As for the interviews, Dundee have a very demanding MMI, whereas Glasgow have two panel interviews. Both rank applicants purely on their interview score when deciding who gets an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmed16
Glasgow do not score your academics prior to interview, however Dundee do. Whether you get an interview or not is based solely on your UKCAT score (provided that you meet all other requirements) at Glasgow, whereas Dundee use a combination of both the academic and UKCAT score.

They both skim over the PS and reference to ensure you have the necessary qualities and experience to be invited to interview! However, Glasgow do not require you to have work experience, as long as you understand what the career involves. Dundee on the other hand expect you to have a minimum of 2 weeks of clinical exposure.

As for the interviews, Dundee have a very demanding MMI, whereas Glasgow have two panel interviews. Both rank applicants purely on their interview score when deciding who gets an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

See now I have been told differently by Glasgow. I was told that all components were being given equal weighting this year (25% academic records, 25% reference, 25% personal statement and 25% UKCAT) so therefore good performance in one could overshadow poor performance in another. Therefore, this suggests to me that this year they may be ranking on UKCAT in some ways, although the other aspects of the application may be taken into consideration more than previously- and that you simply can't just meet the entrance requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending