The Student Room Group

Torn between Maths and French for AS

Got my GCSE results back last week but now I'm torn between Maths and French for AS this year. I have an A* in both at GCSE level but a C in add maths :frown:
I'ce put down Chenistry, biology and economics but I'm not sure for my fourth option. I found add maths and quite hard and struggled quite a bit but I heard that French is a really hard a level. I'm hoping to do dentistry at uni if it helps.
Thx
Reply 1
Original post by autarky15
Got my GCSE results back last week but now I'm torn between Maths and French for AS this year. I have an A* in both at GCSE level but a C in add maths :frown:
I'ce put down Chenistry, biology and economics but I'm not sure for my fourth option. I found add maths and quite hard and struggled quite a bit but I heard that French is a really hard a level. I'm hoping to do dentistry at uni if it helps.
Thx

Hi, I've just completed my maths AS and achieved an A
I also did additional maths at GCSE but gained a B - what I can say is if yo found that difficult you will struggle with the first module of AS because they are very similar

I have no experience with French so I can't help you there sorry

My advice would be pick the subject you most enjoy and would be the most relatable to your uni course
Reply 2
Most people who do Maths at A Level only do the standard GCSE first. Even though additional maths may be similar to some of AS as the previous poster said, you will surely have more time to work on AS Maths and, with an a* in gcse, should find it accessible provided you put a lot into it. Both Maths and French will be very well-respected of course but I'd imagine Maths is more facilitating. (didn't take a language A level myself though)
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Most people who do Maths at A Level only do the standard GCSE first. Even though additional maths may be similar to some of AS as the previous poster said, you will surely have more time to work on AS Maths and, with an a* in gcse, should find it accessible provided you put a lot into it. Both Maths and French will be very well-respected of course but I'd imagine Maths is more facilitating. (didn't take a language A level myself though)

Could I just ask what modules you studies what it mechanics or statistics?:smile:
I've just completed my AS in Maths with an over all A achieving over 90 UMS in each module, with an A* at GCSE Maths and not having done Add Maths at all, so it is definitely doable. I also did French, getting an A (177/200) but it was a lot more work and I would say the exams are a lot riskier if I'm honest. If I would you, I would scholar maths because it may be more useful for what you want to do, but I'm probably just a little bias 😂

Good Luke whatever you choose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by xPhoebex
Could I just ask what modules you studies what it mechanics or statistics?:smile:

I did Maths AS last year with S1; this year I did Maths A2 and Further Maths A level; all in all I've covered S1-3, M1-2, C1-4, FP1-3 (Edexcel)
They're both really good A-levels and are applicable for most courses.
Don't be discouraged with your additional maths grade. Many schools don't do additional maths at all and students do fine.
You'll have more time to focus on your A-level maths than you did at gcse because you had so many exams then.
I do maths A-level and didn't do additional maths at all and found it fine (maybe except for statistics)
So I'd choose what you enjoy more. Maths is probably the harder of the two however.
Reply 7
Original post by autarky15
Thx

Having done Maths and French A Levels, I would personally recommend doing French over Maths. It's a contrasting subject, which is quite nice, and although it's hard, I didn't find the jump as hard as people tend to make it out to be.

If you choose French, you'd need to hit the ground running with regard to learning vocab/grammar etc. but as long as you are diligent enough with it, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Maths I personally found harder, although the AS modules weren't too bad. If you're worried I'd recommend Statistics modules over Mechanics modules (I don't know what D1's like).
Reply 8
I didn't do Add Maths GCSE either and I got on well with AS Maths (got high A in both maths and FM this year), with an A* in IGCSE Maths.

Core 1 is just extension from GCSE, and with an A* in GCSE maths you should be fine as long as you sort out any problem you encounter as soon as possible without being shy.

Looking at your three other choices, it seems as though you are going for biological sciences, chemistry, medicine or economics at university. To compliment those three choices I highly recommend you do maths. Many chemistry courses require maths A level, almost all economics courses require maths A level, and for any science degree it is often recommended to have three sciences which includes maths A levels.

If I were you I would go for maths.
I got a D in add maths and just achieved an A in AS maths. Doing add maths was useful despite failing it. Also did AS French and got a B (1 mark from an A...) without too much effort. I would agree with the previous comment about French being more risky, although if you work for it and are consistent all year, you couldn't really go wrong. I actually hated French all year tbh, but I don't regret my decision of taking it.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone I think I will probably go with maths then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending