The Student Room Group

Help with A level choices ASAP

So far I've decided on:

-English Lit (100% want to do this)
-Sociology(Not sure)
-Psychology(100% want to do this)
-Politics(Not sure)

1) So I wanted to ask, are these overal soft choices? They all are something that genuinely I am interested in, but it seems to me that everytime I tell a teacher of my choices they have something to complain about:

-I havent done Sociology, Psychology Nor politics before, they say chosing 3 new subjects is 'definitely not advisable'

-Apprently they think I can challenge myself way more and that I should get rid of politics or sociology for History edexcel board ( Which although I got an A in at GCSE, im not sure I can handle it, plus might get bored).

-Also I am confused about my career path but am leaning towards doing either a psychology degree, social sciences degree or politics degree.

2) Can someone tell me if I should drop Politics/Sociology for History, it could give me a huge advantage when going to university which I really am keen on, I am a person who wants to achieve high...and although the chosen subjects I have picked all interest me, do you think its not as appealing to universities?

Original post by SharDee
So far I've decided on:

-Sociology(Not sure)
-Politics(Not sure)

1) So I wanted to ask, are these overal soft choices? They all are something that genuinely I am interested in, but it seems to me that everytime I tell a teacher of my choices they have something to complain about:

-I havent done Sociology, Psychology Nor politics before, they say chosing 3 new subjects is 'definitely not advisable'

-Apprently they think I can challenge myself way more and that I should get rid of politics or sociology for History edexcel board ( Which although I got an A in at GCSE, im not sure I can handle it, plus might get bored).

-Also I am confused about my career path but am leaning towards doing either a psychology degree, social sciences degree or politics degree.

2) Can someone tell me if I should drop Politics/Sociology for History, it could give me a huge advantage when going to university which I really am keen on, I am a person who wants to achieve high...and although the chosen subjects I have picked all interest me, do you think its not as appealing to universities?

Hey you're picking almost the exact same subjects as me to do the exact same degree (Psychology degree)!
Im going for English Lit, Psych, Sociology and Economics. I haven't done the last three at all either, but I feel quite confident with Psych and Sociology and Economics will be something quite different to the others (involving some maths)

I had the exact same issue with thinking that my subjects would not appeal to some unis. However, someone had told me that as long as I achieve A*'s in all of them, why on earth wouldn't they take me! Build up your skills and do work experience. Get involved with stuff that will enhance your chances of getting into a uni to study those specific courses (like the EPQ) I strongly advise you look up what uni you want to go to and look for the entry requirement because for me (for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the Uni) but it said that Psychology is classed as a Science, and if it is picked the entry requirements would be lowered. It also said that there are no SPECIFIC necessary subjects but I really do advise you look some up for yourself just in case.

I had switched from Politics to Economics because again, its just something different. But the topics discussed in Sociology in comparison to ones in Psychology and what I want to get into in the future are just too similar not to take up. Don't listen to your teachers. Yeah of course picking subjects you have never done is not gonna be easy but if you work hard then why not! It happens to lots of a-level students and it would be ridiculous to think that way.

I'm not a 'sciency' or 'mathy' type person as writing has always been my strong point. And if I force myself to pick something like Biology (which I don't feel confident in) in order for a Uni to maybe think better about my application, I could end up failing! Its better to achieve A*'s in 4 subjects you love than getting a B or C in a subject you don't/are only picking for uni. Think about it like that :smile: I hope i've helped you out a little bit

Edit- If you truly decide to move to History or take up any subjects on your list, be sure to do some research. Check the new specifications. Look at past papers. See how the subject is set out and then decide if its for you:smile:
Edit 2- Just noticed you said you got an A in GCSE History? So did I! (we are actually in the same boat) But that was out of a whole load of struggle. \if you truly love the subject and see yourself doing well at Alevel then defiantly go for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey I would definitely recommend psychology, apparently new specification has more biology and maths involved in it then the psychology a-level I've just finished but it is soooo interesting!!! Definitely by favourite a-level subject.

I've heard English lit is quite good but I can only tell you that based off what I've heard from others as I didn't have the option to take this as my sixth form only offered English Language/literature combined which I didn't really enjoy but I did like the literature side of the course.

I really enjoyed sociology as well (Sociology, Psychology and English really work well together as they all incorporate essay writing in similar styles which makes your life a little easier) some parts can be a bit boring e.g. statistics but overall is quite good, the only reason I didn't enjoy my second year of sociology as much as the first is because we had a supply teacher who hadn't taught the subject in over ten years so she didn't really know what she was talking about! But the subject itself is good.

I only did history at AS level and I really didn't like it! I found the style of the essay answers very different to my three other subjects but as I was doing similar essays for those subjects I found the history style difficult to grasp which really disappointed me because I loved GCSE history achieving an A* and I didn't do too well at AS. So I dropped it after AS and continued on with English, Sociology and Psychology. But don't let my experience put you off. The best advice is to pick subjects you really enjoy because if you don't it makes it more difficult to put in the hours needed to get the top grades! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Hey you're picking almost the exact same subjects as me to do the exact same degree (Psychology degree)!
Im going for English Lit, Psych, Sociology and Economics. I haven't done the last three at all either, but I feel quite confident with Psych and Sociology and Economics will be something quite different to the others (involving some maths)

I had the exact same issue with thinking that my subjects would not appeal to some unis. However, someone had told me that as long as I achieve A*'s in all of them, why on earth wouldn't they take me! Build up your skills and do work experience. Get involved with stuff that will enhance your chances of getting into a uni to study those specific courses (like the EPQ) I strongly advise you look up what uni you want to go to and look for the entry requirement because for me (for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the Uni) but it said that Psychology is classed as a Science, and if it is picked the entry requirements would be lowered. It also said that there are no SPECIFIC necessary subjects but I really do advise you look some up for yourself just in case.

I had switched from Politics to Economics because again, its just something different. But the topics discussed in Sociology in comparison to ones in Psychology and what I want to get into in the future are just too similar not to take up. Don't listen to your teachers. Yeah of course picking subjects you have never done is not gonna be easy but if you work hard then why not! It happens to lots of a-level students and it would be ridiculous to think that way.

I'm not a 'sciency' or 'mathy' type person as writing has always been my strong point. And if I force myself to pick something like Biology (which I don't feel confident in) in order for a Uni to maybe think better about my application, I could end up failing! Its better to achieve A*'s in 4 subjects you love than getting a B or C in a subject you don't/are only picking for uni. Think about it like that :smile: I hope i've helped you out a little bit

Edit- If you truly decide to move to History or take up any subjects on your list, be sure to do some research. Check the new specifications. Look at past papers. See how the subject is set out and then decide if its for you:smile:
Edit 2- Just noticed you said you got an A in GCSE History? So did I! (we are actually in the same boat) But that was out of a whole load of struggle. \if you truly love the subject and see yourself doing well at Alevel then defiantly go for it.

Literally thank you so so much, you really cleared up my mind and made me realize that theres no point in taking history if I just end up spending tons of time on it and manage only to get a below decent grade ( even tho i got an A at GCSE, which your right, sure as hell wasnt easy). I'd rather 4A*'s than failing my 'Uni impressive' subjects.
I think im going to choose these subjects, I feel way more confident. im also not sciency nor mathy, all about the writing haha (definitely same boat)

Again thank you so much!
Original post by SharDee
Literally thank you so so much, you really cleared up my mind and made me realize that theres no point in taking history if I just end up spending tons of time on it and manage only to get a below decent grade ( even tho i got an A at GCSE, which your right, sure as hell wasnt easy). I'd rather 4A*'s than failing my 'Uni impressive' subjects.
I think im going to choose these subjects, I feel way more confident. im also not sciency nor mathy, all about the writing haha (definitely same boat)

Again thank you so much!

Haha, no problem! Just do very very well in your chosen subjects and it will be very hard for any uni to turn you down :smile:
Original post by SharDee
So far I've decided on:

-Sociology(Not sure)
-Politics(Not sure)

I would pick History, English Literature, Politics, and Psychology.

History is a facilitating subject and so looked on favourably by admissions staff at university level. I would recommend avoiding the Psychology and Sociology combination if you can help it.

Quick Reply

Latest