The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Medicine 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how will a 2.1 degree in Biomed be ranked for a graduate applying to this course?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by plutojupitermars
Does anyone know how will a 2.1 degree in Biomed be ranked for a graduate applying to this course?

Google "Leicester Medicine Scoring" and you will find a link to the A100 application scoring document. Scroll down to the graduate section - most of the scoring is related to GCSE and A level performance rather than the degree itself. You then need to add your academic score to your UKCAT score (also in the document). You're looking for an overall score of about 40.5 or above for interview based on last year, although that could vary year to year.
Original post by plutojupitermars

An achieved 2:1 degree will give you an extra mark of 1
A predicted 2:1 will give you an extra mark of 0

combine these with your GCSE and A level points and your UKCAT score as the user above has said.

I'm a fellow graduate!*
Hey guys, I really want to apply to leicester since i'm already studying here (3rd yr) and I'm really comfortable with the area. However, I did really badly in my ukcat (677) and I didn't really do well in my a levels + gcse's :frown: so using the scoring system, i got a score of 32. Am I going to be rejected immediately? :frown: And does anyone know if they are more lenient towards graduates?
Original post by therainman
Hey guys, I really want to apply to leicester since i'm already studying here (3rd yr) and I'm really comfortable with the area. However, I did really badly in my ukcat (677) and I didn't really do well in my a levels + gcse's :frown: so using the scoring system, i got a score of 32. Am I going to be rejected immediately? :frown: And does anyone know if they are more lenient towards graduates?

Probably yes unfortunately. You would be competing against other graduates
Hi
Looking at Leicesters scoring system i get 47/48 so might get an interview
If i am fortunate enough to, i was wondering, do they mark all stations out of 5 and then from interview onwards, only care about these marks when giving offers and not look at your /48 scores again?
Original post by Anon2305
Hi
If i am fortunate enough to, i was wondering, do they mark all stations out of 5 and then from interview onwards, only care about these marks when giving offers and not look at your /48 scores again?

You all start equal at interview for Leicester whether you scored 40/48 or 47/48 - you don't carry forward your academic and UKCAT score.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether they consider undergrads and grads separately
Original post by Anon2305
Hi

Might?! Youre in the clear! But yeah level playing field
Original post by meddad
You all start equal at interview for Leicester whether you scored 40/48 or 47/48 - you don't carry forward your academic and UKCAT score.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether they consider undergrads and grads separately

Oh okay, thank you :smile:
Original post by chrisdale98
Might?! Youre in the clear! But yeah level playing field

Lol hopefully
Ah right, thank you!!
Does anyone have any tips for preparing for interviews for someone shy like me 🙂
Original post by doculmc7171
Does anyone have any tips for preparing for interviews for someone shy like me 🙂

Practice in the mirror to start of with, film yourself and rewatch it (use online questions) then spot your weaknesses AND strengths and keep refining your answers but DONT LEARN answers, refine topics you want to talk about and in what order.

After ask teachers to interview you. Good luck :smile:
When do Leicester start giving out interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by agahaga
When do Leicester start giving out interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year it was 5th November, the year before a few days after that... for mid December interviews.
Reply 194
I have a score of 42. What's the previous years cut off. Is it likely for me to get an interview? Also when are the interviews and how many dates are there?
Original post by KB_97
I have a score of 42. What's the previous years cut off. Is it likely for me to get an interview? Also when are the interviews and how many dates are there?

You stand a good chance of an interview based on previous cut offs - the predicted cut offs are discussed earlier in this thread. For interview dates just google "Leicester medicine interviews" and look on the Uni website.

If you get accepted onto a medicine course you will need to do your own research :wink:
Reply 196
Hopefully there are a few more black applicants here who might want to join my thread for African and Caribbean Leicester applicants:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68264322&t=4387836#post68264322
Hi - I am medicine applicant - my overall score according to leicesters grading system was 38.5 so not good enough - I really wanted to get into leicester for medicine - so I for my 5th choice - I put down leicester for medical biochem and yesterday I received an unconditional offer. I have no plan to take that offer and go through a degree to get into medicine neither do I want to do a year of the degree and then hope to be transferred into medicine. But I was wondering is there any way to kind of contact them towards results day about if they have any spaces in the medicine course from people dropping out/ not getting the results needed and be able to kind of consider me for one of those possible available spaces?
Thanks
Original post by tomtom32
Hi - I am medicine applicant - my overall score according to leicesters grading system was 38.5 so not good enough - I really wanted to get into leicester for medicine - so I for my 5th choice - I put down leicester for medical biochem and yesterday I received an unconditional offer. I have no plan to take that offer and go through a degree to get into medicine neither do I want to do a year of the degree and then hope to be transferred into medicine. But I was wondering is there any way to kind of contact them towards results day about if they have any spaces in the medicine course from people dropping out/ not getting the results needed and be able to kind of consider me for one of those possible available spaces?
Thanks

As you say, your score may possibly be below the cut off but I wouldn't give up all hope because it depends on the scores of the rest of the applicants, which can vary from year to year.

If you don't make it then unfortunately Leicester in common with other Medical Schools generally award places only to interviewed candidates. According to the policy of each Medical School this may include successful candidates at interview who narrowly missed their offer grades and/or those on a reserve list from their interview assessment who fell just below the interview threshold for an offer.

Good luck with your other applications.
Reply 199
Hope to hear from Leicester soon..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending