The Student Room Group

What job/career do you want to do and how close are you to achieve that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by scrawlx101
who knows i might be going to essex next year :smile: how diverse the campus? how is journalism on the decline?

Oh so you're doing your A Levels? Hopefully you will depending on whether you like it :smile: Very lol, you can't go anywhere without seeing an international student, I've encountered a lot of cultures haha. I'm thinking in respect to the decline of the newspaper due to the rise of people receiving news through other means, but then again every industry has competition.
live off benefits already achieved it
Original post by Ndella
Thanks! :biggrin: I've got a relative who works there but I still had to apply like everyone else, wrote a personal statement with a CV. Omg you too! I missed out on doing it last year so I have no choice lol hope we get where we both want to!

Yeah fair dues, it's good you have contacts though :biggrin: I imagine it must be really competitive to get work experience there. Yup! Lol samee, I really should have done it this year tbh, gonna push myself though, 'The Rabbit' aint seen nothing yet :rofl: Thanks, I hope we do too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Working with animals - so far nowhere near achieving that
howd you get that work experience?

I wouldnt mind a career as a journalist tbh but I want to do psychology at uni...I love writing though...What uni are you at?

Hi!
I'm a Psychology Student at Essex, feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
^Sharmila
Original post by Sharmila_Student
Hi!
I'm a Psychology Student at Essex, feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
^Sharmila

whats psychology like? how do you revise? whats the statistics like? what are the most interesting topics you study in your opinion?
whats psychology like? how do you revise? whats the statistics like? what are the most interesting topics you study in your opinion?

I've found psychology very interesting and have enjoyed my time studying it. I found statistics challenging at times as maths is not my strong point, but there will always be something challenging in any degree, and my lecturers were really helpful and supportive and by the end of this year I came out of the statistics module with a good mark and feeling amazing that i managed to face my fear of statistics and do well in it! I revise by going into the psychology booths we have in our department as they are really quiet and I sit down with my notes and try to make them shorter and straight to the point. so i go from pages of notes to smaller revision cards with key points. but everyone has their own style of revising and its just a matter of finding whats right for you! The most interesting topics I studied in my opinion were social psychology, developmental psychology and crime law and society, but i found all of them good, those were just my favourites!
feel free to ask any more questions you may have, about the course or the university in general, I'm more than happy to help
^Sharmila
I've found psychology very interesting and have enjoyed my time studying it. I found statistics challenging at times as maths is not my strong point, but there will always be something challenging in any degree, and my lecturers were really helpful and supportive and by the end of this year I came out of the statistics module with a good mark and feeling amazing that i managed to face my fear of statistics and do well in it! I revise by going into the psychology booths we have in our department as they are really quiet and I sit down with my notes and try to make them shorter and straight to the point. so i go from pages of notes to smaller revision cards with key points. but everyone has their own style of revising and its just a matter of finding whats right for you! The most interesting topics I studied in my opinion were social psychology, developmental psychology and crime law and society, but i found all of them good, those were just my favorites!
feel free to ask any more questions you may have, about the course or the university in general, I'm more than happy to help
^Sharmila

what type of stuff did you learn about in social psychology and developmental psychology? i do psychology at alevel and find socail psychology and the reasoning behind addiction(the whole thing to do with the more we take something the more we become accustomed to the higher levels of a hormone which may increase).How does the essay style differ from A level psychology? Do you get a chance to think creatively e.g. make your own experiment?

Are you part of any societies? Are the many black people in essex?
what type of stuff did you learn about in social psychology and developmental psychology? i do psychology at alevel and find socail psychology and the reasoning behind addiction(the whole thing to do with the more we take something the more we become accustomed to the higher levels of a hormone which may increase).How does the essay style differ from A level psychology? Do you get a chance to think creatively e.g. make your own experiment?

Are you part of any societies? Are the many black people in essex?

In social psychology we learnt about things like bystander intervention where something has happened and how people may or may not intervene and why they do or dont, and in developmental psychology we look at how we develop as babies to children to adults, we had a babylab session with babies in the lecture so we could see how they function at different ages, it was very interesting! the style of writing changes as you may have to write lab reports which have more structure or do essays that focus on a source so you will need to keep it relevant and focused, but I have found this style really interesting and useful. In final year you will be doing your own research project and its very independent so you can think creatively, and throughout second year you will be able to choose which experiment you would like to carry out . I am part of 5 societies myself and have found them very fun to be part of and get involved with. The university has around 136 different nationalities so you will find people of many different nationalities, I find this one of the best parts of studying here as I have learnt so much about different cultures.
^Sharmila
In social psychology we learnt about things like bystander intervention where something has happened and how people may or may not intervene and why they do or dont, and in developmental psychology we look at how we develop as babies to children to adults, we had a babylab session with babies in the lecture so we could see how they function at different ages, it was very interesting! the style of writing changes as you may have to write lab reports which have more structure or do essays that focus on a source so you will need to keep it relevant and focused, but I have found this style really interesting and useful. In final year you will be doing your own research project and its very independent so you can think creatively, and throughout second year you will be able to choose which experiment you would like to carry out . I am part of 5 societies myself and have found them very fun to be part of and get involved with. The university has around 136 different nationalities so you will find people of many different nationalities, I find this one of the best parts of studying here as I have learnt so much about different cultures.
^Sharmila

bystander intervention - isnt one of theory's to do with people not helping other people due to being influenced by a group as in a person may decide not to help due to seeing that other people arent helping.

Do you get to learn about operant and classical conditioning? Do you also cover sleeping disorders or why people dream? How much Freud do you cover? (Not looking forward to potentially seeing penis envy as i find that so weird)
bystander intervention - isnt one of theory's to do with people not helping other people due to being influenced by a group as in a person may decide not to help due to seeing that other people arent helping.

Do you get to learn about operant and classical conditioning? Do you also cover sleeping disorders or why people dream? How much Freud do you cover? (Not looking forward to potentially seeing penis envy as i find that so weird)

Hello,

Sorry I thought I would chip in! I'm just about to start my second year studying Psychology at the University of Essex. Yes bystander intervention is exactly that. So for example, if someone passes out in a busy town centre not many people will stop and help as so many other people are walking by therefore they feel a diffusion of responsibility because so many other people haven't helped. Whereas if it was a small street and only 1 other person when someone passed out they would be more inclined to help because they were the only person who saw it happen.

Yes operant and classical conditioning is covered a lot, in your first year it will be taught in a Discovering Psychology module and then brought up in Applied Psychology if you choose to take that module.
There is a lecture on sleep in the Discovering Psychology module, I don't recall being taught about why people dream but I'm sure if you emailed the lecturer that teaches that module they would be happy to explain that to you. Also as I am just going into my second year that might be taught in the second or third year of the course!

Freud's psychoanalytic theory is taught but you don't go into much detail about stages, e.g. penis envy and I wouldn't expect that you would have to do any kind of assignments on it so I wouldn't worry.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
^Natalie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending