The Student Room Group

should i get 1 exam remarked for possibility of oxbridge?

yello
I read somewhere that oxford is more interested in your GCSEs than most unis which kinda sucks for me 'cause i didn't do as well as i hoped i would in my iGCSEs since i wasn't a*sed to study (many ragrets)
anyway i got 3A*s (Spanish, Maths and French) 5As 1B and a C in business but i couldn't care less about that, however i heard that oxford looks at a minimum of 4 A*s??? (can any of you confirm if thats true aha)

i got 136/180 in iGCSE chemistry, and 1 more mark would give me an A*, so do you reckon its worth going through the process to get it remarked or nah?

cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Oxbridge do not have a minimum number of A* grades that it requires. While you would most likely be below the average number of A* grades at GCSE, if you present strong AS levels and predictions you shouldn't have a problem. While strong grades at GCSE will clearly help, if you nail the entrance exam at Oxford, they will take that as sign of greater academic promise. Similarly, Cambridge look at your first year (AS) UMS average, which they will place greater weight on.

Essentially, show academic promise at AS and not worry about the past. If you're a strong candidate, you will be able to show that without having 4 A* at GCSE.
You should have studied harder :/ many ragrets to you indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by vimto39
Oxbridge do not have a minimum number of A* grades that it requires. While you would most likely be below the average number of A* grades at GCSE, if you present strong AS levels and predictions you shouldn't have a problem. While strong grades at GCSE will clearly help, if you nail the entrance exam at Oxford, they will take that as sign of greater academic promise. Similarly, Cambridge look at your first year (AS) UMS average, which they will place greater weight on.

Essentially, show academic promise at AS and not worry about the past. If you're a strong candidate, you will be able to show that without having 4 A* at GCSE.

very informative, I really appreciate the time you took to answer and I probably won't end up remarking.
I slacked off way too much this year, won't let it happen again haha. godspeed.
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceFantatic
You should have studied harder :/ many ragrets to you indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knooooow, I'm a fool what can I say:colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by Kokoloko
very informative, I really appreciate the time you took to answer and I probably won't end up remarking.
I slacked off way too much this year, won't let it happen again haha. godspeed.

Use your GCSE experience as motivation for A Level.

Crudely, all aspects of your application (GCSEs, AS, A2 Predictions, References, Interview and entrance exam if applicable, etc) all form isolated scores. These in turn are used in an algorithm to rank candidates. Different weighting is applied to each area.

I would say three things:

(a) I believe the average number of GCSE A*s for Oxford is somewhere around 7. The difference between 3 and 4 A* is not going to be huge, as GCSEs certainly aren't the greatest factor the University considers.

(b) The beauty of the above system, and that GCSEs aren't the biggest factor, is that you can balance your average with AS, A2 Predictions, references, admissions test and if you manage one, an interview. This will again negate any difference between 3 and 4 A*, and are more important factors anyway.

(c) Say you got a remark, and the grade increased to an A*. This by no means, guarantees you an interview, or place. As such, follow the above two points, which are more important anyway.

Just focus on your future. Don't get too set on Oxford; it isn't right for everyone and you can put too much pressure on yourself if you become too determined.
Reply 6
Original post by vimto39
Use your GCSE experience as motivation for A Level.

Crudely, all aspects of your application (GCSEs, AS, A2 Predictions, References, Interview and entrance exam if applicable, etc) all form isolated scores. These in turn are used in an algorithm to rank candidates. Different weighting is applied to each area.

I would say three things:

(a) I believe the average number of GCSE A*s for Oxford is somewhere around 7. The difference between 3 and 4 A* is not going to be huge, as GCSEs certainly aren't the greatest factor the University considers.

(b) The beauty of the above system, and that GCSEs aren't the biggest factor, is that you can balance your average with AS, A2 Predictions, references, admissions test and if you manage one, an interview. This will again negate any difference between 3 and 4 A*, and are more important factors anyway.

(c) Say you got a remark, and the grade increased to an A*. This by no means, guarantees you an interview, or place. As such, follow the above two points, which are more important anyway.

Just focus on your future. Don't get too set on Oxford; it isn't right for everyone and you can put too much pressure on yourself if you become too determined.

Hmm by no means am I solely focusing on Oxford. To be honest, I didn't even want to consider it but it would be ignorant of me to completely disregard it as an option, (although I definitely don't deserve it as much as those who would kill to just get an interview aha) thanks once again for your insight
Reply 7
Hmm by no means am I solely focusing on Oxford. To be honest, I didn't even want to consider it but it would be ignorant of me to completely disregard it as an option, (although I definitely don't deserve it as much as those who would kill to just get an interview aha) thanks once again for your insight

Yeah that's the right attitude to have. Just focus on your AS, and start nice and early - that way you don't have to do much work towards exams. Good luck!
I knooooow, I'm a fool what can I say:colonhash:

Lol- since you're only a mark a way I would personally get it remarked( but not for Oxbridge)

I don't think your gcses are good enough for Oxford but if you get high UMS at AS then Cambridge might take you- but you will stand a chance with 90+ UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Lol- since you're only a mark a way I would personally get it remarked( but not for Oxbridge)

I don't think your gcses are good enough for Oxford but if you get high UMS at AS then Cambridge might take you- but you will stand a chance with 90+ UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was predicted 8A*s and 2As (English) this really sucks hahahh thanks though, I'm not focusing on oxbridge so it's all good
Reply 10
Original post by vimto39
Yeah that's the right attitude to have. Just focus on your AS, and start nice and early - that way you don't have to do much work towards exams. Good luck!

Thank you very much:ciao:
Original post by vimto39

This isn't quite what happens.

We never consider any one piece of information in isolation and very little is done using algorithms. All decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis by multiple people taking all available information into account. No particular weight is ever given to any particular piece of information, rather we learn about candidate's achievement, ability and potential by forming a holistic picture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending