The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into uni!

This is a bit of a strange question but here we go!
At A-level I had BBC and am currently completing an undergraduate degree, on course to get a 2:1, however, I am looking to go back to uni to study midwifery/child nursing at uni south wales.
Has anyone else gone through this route, or gotten on to these courses with lower grades, going to an open day soon so any advice before then would be great! Thanks in advance
Original post by BethKA
At A-level I had BBC and am currently completing an undergraduate degree, on course to get a 2:1, however, I am looking to go back to uni to study midwifery/child nursing at uni south wales.
Has anyone else gone through this route, or gotten on to these courses with lower grades, going to an open day soon so any advice before then would be great! Thanks in advance

You posted this in the Relationship forums somehow... :tongue: . I've moved it to the correct forum for you :h:
Original post by BethKA

As a graduate it's easier and they usually look at your degree over your A-levels. I have a humanities degree and I'm applying to an NHS course without the need to do any further A-levels. Just e-mail the unis and specify you degree and grades - they'll let you know. Best of luck.
Hi there,

With a BBC at A level you shouldn't have a problem, was one of those A levels health and social care or biology? They normally look for these.

However, if you already working to a degree and you do get a 2:1, I think you stand an excellent chance.

What are your A levels and degree subjects?

Children's nursing and midwifery are much more competitive, than the other branches. Do you have any experience working with children or babies?
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis
You posted this in the Relationship forums somehow... :tongue: . I've moved it to the correct forum for you :h:

oh thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by somethingbeautiful
As a graduate it's easier and they usually look at your degree over your A-levels. I have a humanities degree and I'm applying to an NHS course without the need to do any further A-levels. Just e-mail the unis and specify you degree and grades - they'll let you know. Best of luck.

Thanks that reassuring! I've emailed a few units just waiting to hear back now!
Reply 6
Original post by Speed1987
Hi there,

With a BBC at A level you shouldn't have a problem, was one of those A levels health and social care or biology? They normally look for these.

However, if you already working to a degree and you do get a 2:1, I think you stand an excellent chance.

What are your A levels and degree subjects?

Children's nursing and midwifery are much more competitive, than the other branches. Do you have any experience working with children or babies?

Hi, my A-levels were in sociology, R.S and history and my degree is in fashion marketing and retail design (bit of a change in career options!)
I've noticed some uni ask for some of those a levels to!
I'm currently volunteering in my local hospital and once I leave uni should be getting a job in support/care!
Sociology is a sort after A level and will serve you well in your chances on getting a place. Although I think most rests on you getting a 2:1 in that degree, if not you need to complete an access course or biology A level or something along those lines.

You know it has become increasingly difficult to enter nursing recently... They believe degree educated nurses will be better but honestly as a nurse it doesn't make a difference.

I completed a DipHE in 2010, which is 300 credits, 60 short of a degree. However at this point you got a free bursary, of like £600 a month and only needed 5 GCSEs for entry.

There making it more difficult for people to enter even though there is a clear shortage and they are bringing in nurses from abroad, it's all so illogical.

Although you need to learn anatomy and physiology, once on the job it is more your work ethic and interpersonal skills which serve you. Doctors will often tackle questions regarding this aspect, your job will be to run wards and care for patients. That said, there are various advancing roles for those who are more academic or want more responsibility.

If you get the 2:1 or above you'll get a place in the lesser elite universities.

If you want to go to a great uni, you'll most likely need A level bio and health and social care.
Original post by BethKA

Newly qualified children's nurse here if you have any further questions :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PaediatricStN
Newly qualified children's nurse here if you have any further questions :smile:

Awh great thank you! I recently went to an open day and they told me to apply with what I already had so that was a weight off! just trying to decided what field to go into to now!

Quick Reply

Latest