The Student Room Group

Advice for those starting university science degrees

Please be honest and detail your answers so it helps those to get a head start before they start their science degree course
You're going to have to ask a more specific question if you want better answers.
I've seen a friend leaving his Physics lab work until the last day and pulling an all nighter - don't do that.
Another friend doing Biology did really well because he worked throughout the year, a few hours on weekdays and a bit more on weekends.
Original post by SeanFM
I've seen a friend leaving his Physics lab work until the last day and pulling an all nighter - don't do that.
Another friend doing Biology did really well because he worked throughout the year, a few hours on weekdays and a bit more on weekends.

thanks! So work hard on day one, don't leave it late
Original post by alleycat393
You're going to have to ask a more specific question if you want better answers.

any little advice for uni. like the one above
I take it you are doing a biology/life sciences degree?

Keep on top of terms/definitions etc. otherwise you''ll struggle later on because lecturers will assume you know them. For example, if you cover the citric acid cycle in the first year, it will later be assumed you know you know the products and the enzymes involved at each stage.
Original post by RevisionNad
any little advice for uni. like the one above

Hi, there are plenty of online resources available for general advice. If you have a specific question please quote for a response. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, there are plenty of online resources available for general advice. If you have a specific question please quote for a response. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

just thought of one- is a Dictaphone useful for uni or not. I know most lectures are posted online anyway but it's useful to know.
just thought of one- is a Dictaphone useful for uni or not. I know most lectures are posted online anyway but it's useful to know.

It really depends on how you like to study. If lectures are online then I don't
see the point. I preferred to go to lectures pay attention and take notes rather than listen to them later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Please be honest and detail your answers so it helps those to get a head start before they start their science degree course

Buy a human anatomy, cell biology and pathophysiology text book.

Lectures: Always listen during lectures, get a dictaphone to go over lectures during commute to and from University and during your extra time. Go through your lecture handouts and try to understand the concepts before every lecture. Also, do your seminar work before hand. Use youtube videos to aid in your understanding. Make notes using your handouts, textbooks, youtube etc

Essays/ courseworks/ lab reports: Always start early! Go to your library before hand to borrow relevant books needed for the topic you want to write about. Use journal articles from year 1 until you finish your degree. It's good practice. Over reliance on text books won't make you score higher marks! Provide arguments for and against, that's where the marks are! Always ask your lecturers on how to improve your essays et al even though you get an A! Always aim higher!

Exams: Know your lecture handouts inside out. Go through the notes you made. Go through past exam papers and study consistently, with 5-15 minutes breaks, during every hour. Use diagrams if you think it would illustrate your explanations better. It helps a lot! Look through your dictaphone and seminar materials.
Original post by Vanny17
Buy a human anatomy, cell biology and pathophysiology text book.

Lectures: Always listen during lectures, get a dictaphone to go over lectures during commute to and from University and during your extra time. Go through your lecture handouts and try to understand the concepts before every lecture. Also, do your seminar work before hand. Use youtube videos to aid in your understanding. Make notes using your handouts, textbooks, youtube etc

Essays/ courseworks/ lab reports: Always start early! Go to your library before hand to borrow relevant books needed for the topic you want to write about. Use journal articles from year 1 until you finish your degree. It's good practice. Over reliance on text books won't make you score higher marks! Provide arguments for and against, that's where the marks are! Always ask your lecturers on how to improve your essays et al even though you get an A! Always aim higher!

Exams: Know your lecture handouts inside out. Go through the notes you made. Go through past exam papers and study consistently, with 5-15 minutes breaks, during every hour. Use diagrams if you think it would illustrate your explanations better. It helps a lot! Look through your dictaphone and seminar materials.

wow- that is an amazing response! Thank you so much for that!
It really depends on how you like to study. If lectures are online then I don't
see the point. I preferred to go to lectures pay attention and take notes rather than listen to them later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good point about listening in lectures. Thanks for that
wow- that is an amazing response! Thank you so much for that!

You're welcome! Glad I was of help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest