The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Freshers looking for private accommodation 2015

Scroll to see replies

Its annoying because I'm not sure i make it on friday (4 hour journey too), but just looking at Facebook groups right now hopefully will find something. Message me if u have any progress! goodluck :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
PPE student here, looking for other freshers to find a place to rent, PM me if interested

Studio rooms are a tad expensive and most of them seem to be nearer Solent than SoU :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by Andrew_Fraser97
I wasnt sure i was going to end up at southampton until a while after results day and still havent sorted out any accomodation. Was just wondering if there is anybody in a similar position who also hasnt sorted accomodation yet ?. Would also appreciate any advice as to the best way to sort accomodation this late.

Original post by Nathan Chan
yeah i went through clearing and just found out my application for accommodation got rejected..
not really sure what to do either, desperately wanted to live in halls but sadly no :frown:

Original post by livvxo
Are you planning on coming to the private housing open day this Friday? I'm in the exact same situation and don't really know what to do!

Hi Guys!

When you mean rejected does the email say you've been rejected or does it say something along the lines of being on a waiting list?? I may be in the same situation as you guys too!

Rakhee
Reply 23
Original post by Rakz14
Hi Guys!

When you mean rejected does the email say you've been rejected or does it say something along the lines of being on a waiting list?? I may be in the same situation as you guys too!

Rakhee

I just rang them and theyve said everyone who applied after the 13th has been rejected, but if you applied on the 13th you should find out by thursday...
Anyone looking there's the SU letting agency too: http://www.susulettings.co.uk/Home.wiki

It looks like there's plenty of options on there :smile:

Although they do look cheap make sure to budget in for bills, your unilink bus pass (if you're not within walking distance or are going to need to get the bus between campuses or into town) and internet (cos with halls all of those are bundled in...although if you've got a washing machine you will save on laundry costs:wink:

Also https://www.susu.org/downloads/pdf-booklets/advice/vent-rent-results.pdf is REALLY worth a read - highlights which letting agencies have a reputation for poor service and some things to look out for.
Original post by Ynd
PPE student here, looking for other freshers to find a place to rent, PM me if interested

Studio rooms are a tad expensive and most of them seem to be nearer Solent than SoU :frown:

Every studio I've seen is double the price of a room in a shared house :eek2:

And a couple of them (collegiate) aren't even finished being built yet.

The good news is - because there's a whole bunch more rooms in halls this year the private rented market is a bit desperate. There's plenty of houses out there :yep:

I know it's ****ty having to deal with this but the residences office and the SU are both determined to help as much as they can.
Reply 26
Original post by GSturgg
I just rang them and theyve said everyone who applied after the 13th has been rejected, but if you applied on the 13th you should find out by thursday...

Okay thank you so much! Applied as soon as i got my results as it was my insurance..what are you studying?
So I just found out the thing on Friday is booked out so my mum is going insane.

Anyone know how to book the Wednesday session that's mentioned in the email?

Also, do you lot think Friday is that important or is it fine just to use sassh and rent whatever place looks nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Woooooooooow
So I just found out the thing on Friday is booked out so my mum is going insane.

Anyone know how to book the Wednesday session that's mentioned in the email?

Also, do you lot think Friday is that important or is it fine just to use sassh and rent whatever place looks nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're happy to sort yourself out using sassh and/or visiting on your own/getting together with housemates via FB then I'd say the organised days are optional...they're there to walk you through the process a bit (if I remember right they have a bunch of people with maps and things to help people navigate!) - I'm sure if you ask they'll be able to point you at pretty much everything you'd get at the open day online/over the phone.
Reply 29
Yeah I'm in the same position!! Economics and politics, how about you??
Reply 30
Original post by GSturgg
Yeah I'm in the same position!! Economics and politics, how about you??

Economics so probs will see you around..cross fingers for both of us!
Reply 31
I made a facebook group called "southampton accomodation 2015" that anybody is free to join, i am looking for people to share accomodation with. If you want my number private message me, same with my facebook add if you cant find the group.
Reply 32
Hi, I'm in the same situation, apart that I come from France and don't know anything about UK, so if you have any advice on how to find somewhere to live, I'll be happy to know! Thanks! :wink:
Reply 33
I'm a fresher and am currently in the process of looking for accommodation if anyone is interested in sharing pm me and we can talk further :smile:
I´m in the same boat, looking for private accommodation. Would like to share with other first years.
Reply 35
hi guys
Looking for private accommodation, message me contact details if interested in sharing a house/flat.
I'm a first year looking for accommodation (still) and I don't really mind who I end up with in the house. PM me if you're lacking a person in your group or interested in forming one. Or email me at "[email protected]" if you don't have an account on tsr.
(edited 8 years ago)
There is another information day tomorrow. Recommend anyone still looking for accommodation makes the trip - very good opportunity to do some visits to the areas where to live. SASSH always the safe bet as all the legwork to meet the legal requirements has already been done by them.
Entered this a bit late (like usual) looking for a few people to share a house, preferably right wing and a member of the bodybuilding.com misc subforum (u aware)
Reply 39
I'm looking for some first year students to share with. I'm studying Physics and don't have a place in halls so I'll need to do private rented accommodation. If anyone wants to team up with me, just drop me a PM and I'll get back to you. The sassh website has a number of properties which seem interesting enough, though I would like some first year students to live with just so that I won't be the only clueless new face around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending