The Student Room Group

The story of the man who graduated with a 2:2

Scroll to see replies

JUST got the whole Desmond thing. xD, I thought that was your real name for a minute.
Reply 81
Did Desmond not know there are graduate schemes out there that require a 2:2... Like BT

who require a 2:1 with 280 UCAS points

or

a 2:2 with 340 UCAS points (Desmond has 360 from the 3 A's at A level)

Here is the link to the requirements
Reply 82
Original post by TheMaster102
Computer Science is such a broad subject that in the BSc. you only brush over everything, Masters will provide a much deeper understanding, it was always my dream to do a masters, but now this dream may just stay a dream unless I can find a comp sci degree that accept 2:2

Royal Holloway
MSc Information Security

Requirements: UK Lower Second Class Honours degree (2:2) or equivalent

I believe Portsmouth require a 2:2 for their MSc as well.
im sure there are many more out there
I can't thank those of you who posted supportive things and MSc.'s that I can do, it really means a lot, i feel a lot better, but I wont forget this feeling, hopefully that will propel me to succeed in my masters. Maybe I can turn this disaster into a positive.

:smile:
The trick, OP, is to recognise that it's bad, that it's your fault, and move on. Recognise it, but don't dwell on it. Just try to deal with where you are now.

Don't try to convince yourself that it's anything but what it is. What it is is an extra hurdle that you've basically set for yourself. But, chin up. People get past it.
Yeah I know but that doesn't take away from the fact that I've spent so much money and might as well not have gone to university, it's so horrendous I can't even begin to explain how it feels.

Getting a job wont be hard because I can program, and I can program really well, I've made and sold commercial software before,

what upsets me so much is the stigma that comes with the 2:2 and the fact I was 1% off, my appeal was rejected and tons and tons of other things that make me just want to jump off a cliff

Then remove your personal stigma by getting into a good career - whether through self-employment or creating a fantastic portfolio and having an employer overlook the 2:2. Once you have a prestigious career (which is achievable with a 2:2 - plenty do it), then nobody cares what your degree grade was.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The trick, OP, is to recognise that it's bad, that it's your fault, and move on. Recognise it, but don't dwell on it. Just try to deal with where you are now.

Don't try to convince yourself that it's anything but what it is. What it is is an extra hurdle that you've basically set for yourself. But, chin up. People get past it.

I refuse to accept what people like you say, because it's not my fault. At all, I don't think you really read my circumstances, believe me I was very unlucky and I definitely deserve a 2:1 so think before you spout such utter nonsense, sure I didn't GET the grade, but does that mean I didn't deserve it or work hard? did you not read my story.

I worked harder than a lot of people, and I am capable, I even got a 2:1 in my final year, I got the 2:2 because I had a mental breakdown in second year which really affected my grades, combined with being in a really bad institution which has actually closed down because of how bad it was. I hate to shift blame but really this is one of those freak accident situations where someone who really didn't deserve the bad thing happening to them had the bad thing happen to them despite doing all they could in their power to avoid it, 1% away, gah

I am so annoyed I have to explain myself to people like you, but I guess I'll have to get used to it because I'll be doing it for the rest of my life -_-
(edited 8 years ago)
Why didn't the university accept extenuating circumstances?
I refuse to accept what people like you say, because it's not my fault. At all, I don't think you really read my circumstances, believe me I was very unlucky and I definitely deserve a 2:1 so think before you spout such utter nonsense, sure I didn't GET the grade, but does that mean I didn't deserve it or work hard? did you not read my story.

I worked harder than a lot of people, and I am capable, I even got a 2:1 in my final year, I got the 2:2 because I had a mental breakdown in second year which really affected my grades, combined with being in a really bad institution which has actually closed down because of how bad it was.

I am so annoyed I have to explain myself to people like you, but I guess I'll have to get used to it because I'll be doing it for the rest of my life -_-

I skim read.

You don't have to explain anything. You voluntarily started a thread about it on the internet and are voluntarily explaining yourself.

I was simply seeking to suggest that you own your failure. If you had genuine difficulties, fine. Self-pity is still not going to solve your problems.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I skim read.

You don't have to explain anything. You voluntarily started a thread about it on the internet and are voluntarily explaining yourself.

I was simply seeking to suggest that you own your failure. If you had genuine difficulties, fine. Self-pity is still not going to solve your problems.

Skim reading is evil lol
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why didn't the university accept extenuating circumstances?

I have yet to find out, I'm guessing it's because even though my grades in 2nd year are a stark contrast to my final year grades there is no medical evidence I have that I was going through a breakdown because I didn't seek help.

Also I think because they're kind of callous, I doubt they even read my appeal to be honest with you. They way they approached the whole process was a complete joke and I can't believe despite everything they wouldn't even offer me a remark or any kind of help except referring me to an independent complaints commission.

I really feel like I attended the most heartless university in the world and I wish I never went because this is but one of the horrible experiences I've had with my university. At one point I was receiving threats that I'd be thrown out of the university for having a debt of 3 pence (seriously), my girlfriend who goes to one of the top unis was shocked at how my university treated me and told me about how hers would never sent these kind of emails.

It's just the general atmosphere tends to center around the university making money,they make you feel like a number, treat you like a cash-cow and give the impression they can't be bothered to consider an appeal because they want to save money printing your new certificate.

I would love to name my institution but I really don't want to upset anyone who might be thinking of going there or scare anyone starting in september.
(edited 8 years ago)
Desmond woke up, he looked towards his computer as soon as he did so, jumping up anxiously out of his bed and grabbing the laptop beside him. He was on holiday at the time with his girlfriend. Today was results day.

Desmond eagerly anticipated his grades, nervous and scared, but very excited, for Desmond had worked very hard this year. Desmond studies a science subject, and had to write a lengthly report that was over 20k words in addition to creating software projects. (Desmond studies computer Science btw)

He opened his results, and his heart sank. He read "SECOND CLASS DIVISION 2"

He frantically Googled his grade, in shock, in horror, he knew what it meant but he was hoping some how, that this was some kind of mistake. Google answered his search, and responded with his worst fears, a nightmarish moment he will never forget, he had been awarded a 2:2.

He was confused, he had been receiving 2:1's all year, his project was given a first, voted by the university as one of the best of the year, he presented it at their open day, how could this be!

Desmond realised his efforts had fallen short because in his second year, he had achieved a third. All his efforts in his final year lay to waste and now he was stained with a 2:2.

Everyone he knows, graduated with a 2:1, his girlfriend, who had done no work during their relationship, who was out partying whilst he was at home studying had achieved a 2:1 in Philosophy. Oh how Desmond was in despair, he was ashamed of his grade, ashamed of all he achieved, angry, sad, he was lower than he had been.

He searched online, hoping, praying that others similar to his plight could alleviate some of his trauma. But he was met with a horde of TSR pseudo-acedemic non-graduates.

"2:2, i'd be ashamed of myself", "dude, look forward to working in macdonalds", "might as well have not bothered going to uni"

Oh Desmond tried to appeal to his uni, he was only 1% away after all, but he was rejected.

And now Desmond has failed, he has lost it all, he thought that the shame would leave him once he found a graduate job, but alas, no one would have him.

he found that 70% of all graduate jobs require a 2:1 or above, he found none that would accept him. Now the 2:2 was really burning him, now he was truly being punished.

but it went further, his dream of doing postgraduate courses at the Russell group unis was squashed. For every application he would skim to the "entry requirements" section, only to be met with the great insurmountable gate-keeper, "minimum 2:1 required" he saw at every corner he turned, on application after application.

He has paid upwards of £25k, spent 4 years studying only to receive a grade that does not add anything to his life, but revoke it, does not augment his employability and eligibility, but actually reduces it. The 2:2 stain, screaming of laziness or inability. He has ruined his life, and 1% away...

It has been weeks of peaks and throughs, of depression, anger and sorrow. Desmond finds himself frantically obsessed about his grade, and mortified. His department in university has shut down, and Desmond suffered the inevitable harsh marking of lecturers and professors who knew their jobs were finished. Desmond also suffered great personal problems he doesn't like to hide behind, but that greatly affected him in his second year, and it was after all his second year that dragged him down.

achieving AAA at A-Level, Desmond was great, but now he forever will be a failure. His dreams crushed, all over that 1%, his life is ruined.

(Btw, I am Desmond)

you're not really called Desmond though, are you?
Original post by shezshez
you're not really called Desmond though, are you?

No, my name is Xio
No, my name is Xio

Well Xio, many people have made a success of themselves even graduating with a 2:2. I wouldn't worry.
Original post by shezshez
Well Xio, many people have made a success of themselves even graduating with a 2:2. I wouldn't worry.

It's the principle though, I really did deserve a 2:1, I really did and it sucks so bad that I don't have one after everything, all the work, it really is 4 years wasted because I could've just started my career 4 years ago and been miles ahead now.

I am so upset, I hope it passes. I know people are like "don't wallow, move on" but it's really hard, this has bothered me for months and I truly don't think I'll get over it for maybe a year or something and I know it sounds stupid but really it does feel like my life is ruined, and I know it's not healthy but in a way it is true. Doors are closed for me, Grad schemes are a distant dream, my only hope is a masters really.
It's the principle though, I really did deserve a 2:1, I really did and it sucks so bad that I don't have one after everything, all the work, it really is 4 years wasted because I could've just started my career 4 years ago and been miles ahead now.

I am so upset, I hope it passes. I know people are like "don't wallow, move on" but it's really hard, this has bothered me for months and I truly don't think I'll get over it for maybe a year or something and I know it sounds stupid but really it does feel like my life is ruined, and I know it's not healthy but in a way it is true. Doors are closed for me, Grad schemes are a distant dream, my only hope is a masters really.

Maybe so. What's stopping you then? Get on the phone, show you're eager and nail a masters place. Wallowing really is a waste of time and a drain on your emotions. I know it's hard, but make strides in the things you can have a positive change on and stop dwelling on the things you now have no control over. That's the best advice, but you already know this stuff, you'll do great.

I would love to name my institution but I really don't want to upset anyone who might be thinking of going there or scare anyone starting in september.

Can you give us a clue? :P
Maybe I can turn this disaster into a positive.

You will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
I think the 2.1 and 2.2 are loads of bull**** anyways. They never reflect the reality, people don't have to work hard every year to get 2.1. On my course you are giving the choice to go through with only your third year mark so you can basically lazy about for two years and hopefully get lucky on the third /fourth year and the employers will probably not care as long as it says 2.1
I know someone from Warwick who did three degrees and got 2.2 in all of them. He worked in the students' union. Also I overheard someone on the bus talking about his postgrad offer for 2.2 because the uni is desperate - I think it was for ucl. Honestly, I know it must feel so hopeless right now, try and stay as positive as much as you can. <3

Quick Reply

Latest