The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

How is student life at the university of sussex ?

I'm thinking about applying to the university of sussex for a MA in journalism and documentary practice, and I'd like to know how is the student life there if anyone knows ? Since it's in the outskirts of Brighton it looks like it's a "rural campus", how many minutes does it take to get to brighton ? And what are the activities on campus ? nightlife ? What kind of students go to this university ?

Reply 1
Campus itself is lovely. It takes around 20 minutes on a bus and 5 on a train to get into Brighton (prices are pretty much the same as London. There's a lot of societies, I've heard people complain that they're not too good or the uni is not that social but it all depends on how much you get involved and the kind of people you're with.
Its Brighton so of course it attracts a certain type A LOT of southerners (I am one myself) and foreign students A lot of people who are quite clearly on something, or who for some reason believe they are "cool" but on the other side there are a lot of normal and a few very unique people, it's quite interesting really.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Livvy.B
Campus itself is lovely. It takes around 20 minutes on a bus and 5 on a train to get into Brighton (prices are pretty much the same as London. There's a lot of societies, I've heard people complain that they're not too good or the uni is not that social but it all depends on how much you get involved and the kind of people you're with.
Its Brighton so of course it attracts a certain type A LOT of southerners (I am one myself) and foreign students A lot of people who are quite clearly on something, or who for some reason believe they are "cool" but on the other side there are a lot of normal and a few very unique people, it's quite interesting really.

thank you for the info :smile:. So the cost of life is the same than in London?
Reply 3
Yup, I remember thinking about how cheap uni would be, not the case. There are pretty good student deals in terms of drinks but other than that don't expect much change from London, but than going from London prices to Brighton prices isn't to bad if I lived up north and came down I wouldn't be happy. Nightlife is so good it takes a while to find it the good places but once you've found them you won't be disappointed. It just depends what your going for it's an expensive place to live in terms of houses too but they do, do quite good bursaries. Anyways go and have a look around I went fell in love, but you might not like that campus feel.
Reply 4
Original post by Livvy.B
Yup, I remember thinking about how cheap uni would be, not the case. There are pretty good student deals in terms of drinks but other than that don't expect much change from London, but than going from London prices to Brighton prices isn't to bad if I lived up north and came down I wouldn't be happy. Nightlife is so good it takes a while to find it the good places but once you've found them you won't be disappointed. It just depends what your going for it's an expensive place to live in terms of houses too but they do, do quite good bursaries. Anyways go and have a look around I went fell in love, but you might not like that campus feel.

Thank you :smile:, I guess I'll apply anyway but I probably won't end up going even if I get accepted. I'm not from the UK and I've never been so far, but I don't think I could afford London, so I don't think I could afford Brighton either.
Original post by kiwi94
Thank you :smile:, I guess I'll apply anyway but I probably won't end up going even if I get accepted. I'm not from the UK and I've never been so far, but I don't think I could afford London, so I don't think I could afford Brighton either.

Housing (which is the biggest cost) is more expensive than most places but still way cheaper than London).
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Housing (which is the biggest cost) is more expensive than most places but still way cheaper than London).

I think it would be too expensive for me anyway, as after paying for my MA ,I would have leftabout 600€ a month for all my expenses, and since euro is weaker than pound it would be about 450 pounds , so I don't think I'll even bother applying lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Livvy.B

What type of southerners :tongue:
The cost of a night out can be the same as London or it can be the same as Leeds. It really depends where you go/what you know. If it's cheap drinks deals that you go looking for on a night out check out smashbrighton.co.uk - it's a website that lists everything happening in Brighton and you can use it to just find pub deals or see which club nights are running etc etc. On a general note, learn how to shop effectively and you can get by on a tiny budget, it's just a question of deciding what's worth spending on and what isn't. Good luck!
Here's my experience of life at Sussex as an MA student (albeit coloured by my not-so-great experience on the Creative and Critical Writing MA).

It's a wonderful place to meet good friends and Brighton's a great place for a night out.

BUT, it's extremely expensive. Your money will just haemorrage left right and centre (even if you've come with more than 8K pounds to live on) - just like in London, except that it's so much harder than London to get a part-time job to support yourself.

The journalism course is apparently top notch and you will have invaluable experience.... BUT, don't live in Brighton after your course, move to London asap because there are very FEW journalism jobs (very few jobs in general to be honest) you will most likely work in some office admin job most of the time and not have any time to expand your skills through a part-time journalism job, internship or work experience. Whereas in London you could get a journalism job, or at least an impressive internship and a nice part-time job and plenty of opportunities to network with a wide variety of people.

The campus is nice and green, but terribly boring for a night out, as most people head out into Brighton city centre. The students union is extremely boring and hardly organises any parties (with the exception of Holi, which was fun).

It's basically an expensive uni that provides very little to its students. I compare this to my other previous unis: UEA was AMAZING, with parties, gigs, fun events on campus and a lovely atmosphere all around campus and an unforgettable Fresher's week. Greenwich uni - with a huge party in London bridge and fun-filled karaoke nights at the students' union bar.

Sussex operates like a private business that provides as little as possible for maximum prices... and seems to see students with contempt (the university more so than the students' union), as cash cows.

The other two universities I attended seemed to be more benevolent, lovely places that provided that cosy little bubble and community feel on campus. Sussex is a weird place to be, definitely wasn't for me but it might be or you if you're a naive person who hasn't seen any better or a serious person who just wants to do his/her MA and doesn't care about anything else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by kiwi94
I'm thinking about applying to the university of sussex for a MA in journalism and documentary practice, and I'd like to know how is the student life there if anyone knows ? Since it's in the outskirts of Brighton it looks like it's a "rural campus", how many minutes does it take to get to brighton ? And what are the activities on campus ? nightlife ? What kind of students go to this university ?

Heya! I went to Sussex Uni! It's literally a 9 minute train journey from Brighton (I live really locally, in Worthing). Brighton is great! So much going on, the night life is amazing. It doesn't feel rural on campus at all, theres so much going on, on and off campus! Such a broad range of people at the University - you'll have a great time! Really recommend it :smile:
THIS IS FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING FOR AN UP TO DATE REPLY 2023
I’m dyslexic writing this without spellchecking and ect so read with digression.
I remember the night before I had to pick my university, staying up till 3AM reading through reviews from 7+ years ago. They were useless! So here’s mine, as a now third year graduate in 2023.

SUMMARY🫵🏼: Go to Sussex if you want to have fun, become a more rounded individual and especially if you want to do psychology (it’s globally recognised as one of the best for it and will put you ahead of most ‘Russell’ group unis.)

YEAR BY YEAR:
First year1️⃣: i was part of the Covid year so mine was completely different to the norm. But everyone had so many house parties and it was sunny so we just sat outside on campus together, or went to the beach. You only need 40% to pass sand a lot was just a repeat of a level.
Second year 2️⃣: insane, I loved every second. I went out so so much (partly making up for first year) the clubs are second to none and you make loads of friends. Anytime you aren’t out you’ll be on the beach in summer and the winter you’ll be chilling inside in the student area (elm grove). You won’t bother with any lectures, even though you tell yourself you will. I made all my friends through joining a sport, which I never attended training for but was religiously at every social. JOIN A SPORT is the best advice I can give you, it’s how I made majority of my friends.
Third year3️⃣: I really tried academically in third year and I don’t regret it. Make the most of reaching out to your lecturers, they are usually happy to help in my experience and it pays off in the end, making completing the essays easier (asking tutors for help is like a weird life hack, which no one I know does for some reason, and puts you miles ahead) I had made most of my friends already so the rest were just bonus. Don’t stress if you don’t have a solid group at this point, just go with the flow and you’ll find your feet. Living in Kemptown is the best place for third years, it’s more central similar to real life. The clubs you prefer become more chill and easy to talk in (mashtun). You’ll have an insane summer because you’ll have loads of friends by this point and you all just want to make the most of living there for the last time. Get a lease which ends in September, so you have the whole summer. If you can work a 0 hour contract at the Brighton Centre or other companies, which will give you the flexibility you will want while having a social life. DO NOT WORK AT A BAR your friends will just ask for free drinks, you won’t be able to make the nights out and you’ll just be knakered on your days off. All in all third year will be your favourite year, don’t listen to that crap about first year being the best.

CONS👎🏼: the winter isn’t great just because the city is built for the summer due to its location by the beach and that it’s touristy. The winter is the same as summer but without the fun daytime stuff of going outside and to the beach. It’s also stupidly windy, so windy my friends have been knocked multiple times. You just do the same as the summer, going out wise and lectures. The lectures have also striked a fair bit, but not too much more than other unis, bar the marking strikes. I suggest definitely joining a sport, most of my friends did it and they all say it’s one of the best decisions they made. Simply because making proper friends can take a while without it. The drinks are more expensive than at northern unis, to get around this people being their own or pre drink a lot more. All in all the only real low is the winter, only as it doesn’t compare to summer.

OVERALL⚖️: in comparison to all my home friends I’d say I have had the most fun and the best social life. I’ve managed to make friends from all over the world and I’m now able to travel to visit them for free. The nightlife is second to non, hence why we get so many tourists, including hen parties and stags. For Summer it’s the best uni on earth, all I do is sit on the beach and swim all dat, then potter back to my flat, a TWO MINUTE WALK AWAY, get ready for my night out and have a giggle with my friends. It’s like a permanent holiday. The trains and busses are well connected so you can pop home for a Sunday roast if you want and be back for Monday lectures. The characters you will meet here are so vast, Brighton really opens your eyes to all walks of life especially in the centre. The seagulls are menacing and will eat any food they see even if you are eating it. Don’t pay for expensive drinks just bring your own with you. All in all the place and people have taught me so much, making the whole experience something I would never take back and would happily do all over again.

Up the Sus x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending