The Student Room Group

Personal statement starter help!!!

I literally have no idea how to start my PS, I know that once I've started it will all just flow but I'm so bad at starting! Could anybody help?? I'm applying for 'Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies with Psychology'.
Help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by bethamiltonnn
I literally have no idea how to start my PS, I know that once I've started it will all just flow but I'm so bad at starting! Could anybody help?? I'm applying for 'Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies with Psychology'.
Help would be appreciated :smile:

Oh gosh, remenicing the personal statement days. Start off with an idea or experience that lead to your interest in criminology and psychology :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about the start. Write the rest of the statement and think about the start later. Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your ideas and structure your statement.

Hey! What helped me was looking at examples of other Personal Statements
As other people have said, do the introduction last or else you'll be labouring over it for hours on end and you won't get anywhere with the main body of your statement, which is always the most important thing. Grabbing the attention of the reader is obviously important, but I wrote my introduction after writing the rest purely because I knew the direction I was going in with my statement - after all, you want everything to flow and a "random" introduction won't necessarily be impressive. Also, introductions don't have to be very long - just an introductory sentence or two will be sufficient before moving into the main things you want to cover.
Original post by Dougieowner
As other people have said, do the introduction last or else you'll be labouring over it for hours on end and you won't get anywhere with the main body of your statement, which is always the most important thing. Grabbing the attention of the reader is obviously important, but I wrote my introduction after writing the rest purely because I knew the direction I was going in with my statement - after all, you want everything to flow and a "random" introduction won't necessarily be impressive. Also, introductions don't have to be very long - just an introductory sentence or two will be sufficient before moving into the main things you want to cover.

thank you very much, will try it out! hopefully I'll get somewhere!
Original post by mybeingof
Hey! What helped me was looking at examples of other Personal Statements

yeah I have tried this today, it is looking quite hopeful! thank you :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
Don't worry about the start. Write the rest of the statement and think about the start later. Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your ideas and structure your statement.

thank you, will try it out :smile:
There are sites that you can go on to check personal statements what unis like. There are like sentence starters that are no go, things like When I was younger.
If you want something to put in your intro (to be changed later) just write something like 'I want to study X because...'
yeah I have tried this today, it is looking quite hopeful! thank you :smile:

No problem and good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending