The Student Room Group

Those that can't do, teach?

Where does those that can't do, teach apply? I just wondered because I can't think of anywhere this is true!

Scroll to see replies

The phrase as I understand it is those who can, do. Those who can't, teach and those who can't teach, teach teachers. The point is if you're so great at your subject why are you not a renowned physician or historian or whatever? Ie that they aren't good enough to be recognised for their work so they fall back on teaching their below top rung knowledge to others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
The phrase as I understand it is those who can, do. Those who can't, teach and those who can't teach, teach teachers. The point is if you're so great at your subject why are you not a renowned physician or historian or whatever? Ie that they aren't good enough to be recognised for their work so they fall back on teaching their below top rung knowledge to others

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
If you're a law graduate and can't perform a legal profession you teach it
It you're an economics graduate and can't do finance you can teach maths / business
It's always annoyed me, because I've had that as a response when I've told people that I'm training to teach.

I'm going into teaching for no other reason than it's what I love doing. I probably had the grades to go on and do one of my four subjects, but that's not what I wanted to do. It's definitely not that I can't do anything else.

Yes, there are people that choose to teach because they don't know what else to do - I've met people who've said this. But I think the phrase is quite insulting to those who are doing it because they want to.
Reply 5
It's really unfortunate because this is sometimes true, I had a few teachers who openly admitted having gone into teaching because they failed at other things in life (a physics teacher who had wanted to be a pilot, for example) - it makes the profession look like an easy option, which it isn't, and it stops those who go into teaching for love of teaching from being appreciated for what they do...
Most teachers either go into because they are failures or because they want to brainwash children and make them into good little leftists.
No. Especially less so nowadays when the job of a teacher is so scrutinised, pressured, underpaid, time-consuming, and under-appreciated.
You just don't go into teaching unless you love it, otherwise you will be chewed up and spat right out. It's not the easy-peasy second choice career that everyone seems to think it is. It's damn hard work.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Most teachers either go into because they are failures or because they want to brainwash children and make them into good little leftists.

Did you get brain surgery with a hammer and sickle? I hope that you sue the doctors, because you sound like a ****ing idiot
Original post by Raiden10
Did you get brain surgery with a hammer and sickle?

:rofl:

Leftists are scum.
Leftists are scum.

:kiss:

But anyone that isn't Pinochet is a leftists in your eyes. Which is most people. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Leftists are scum.

You love'em really. Deep deep down in your heart you know that left wing people are good people and right wing people are greedy c*nts. I think you just need to accept reality and face the truth that all right wing people are racists and left wing people are tolerant. I know it will be difficult, but you can always get counselling free on the NHS thanks to (guess who?) those gorgeous leftists!
Original post by jambojim97
You love'em really. Deep deep down in your heart you know that left wing people are good people and right wing people are greedy c*nts. I think you just need to accept reality and face the truth that all right wing people are racists and left wing people are tolerant. I know it will be difficult, but you can always get counselling free on the NHS thanks to (guess who?) those gorgeous leftists!

Leftism destroys any society, city or community of which it takes control. See Rhodesia, South Africa, Detroit, California, Argentina, any communist country and so on.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:kiss:

But anyone that isn't Pinochet is a leftists in your eyes. Which is most people. :s-smilie:

Your evidence for this assertion? In a sense you are right though. The story of the 20th century has been the story of leftism replacing traditional society. You would consider any one who is anti-democratic to be "extreme" or "far-right" but in really it is democracy that is extreme in historical terms.

You are right though that most people in the modern world are degenerate fools who have no idea about much of anything and that is why democracy is such a bad form of government.

Oh for **** sake, shut up. You sound worse than @TheCitizenAct, and that's saying something.
Reply 16
Original post by XcitingStuart
Oh for **** sake, shut up. You sound worse than @TheCitizenAct, and that's saying something.

Why do most of the right-wingers on this forum seem to be perpetually angry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't agree with that but, even if it were true, it's certainly better than the polar opposite, left-wing alternative: perpetual self-loathing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart

Oh look. Another depraved fool.

Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because there is a lot to be angry about when you take off the left-wing blinkers and realise that our lives are going to be significantly worse than our parents lives were.

"Progress" is destroying our societies.
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

A dose of self-entitlement, at birth, then denied, so angry at the world?

Well, let's give some pity and sympathetical nods; they have been putting up with the consequences of this affliction for their entire lives. :/

Quick Reply