Durham
Visit website

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Guitarsoc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Danny_777
You most definitely can! Are you any good :p:? What are you into?

All the stuff you just mentioned. I reckon I'm ok, a little shy though. :redface:
I just love singing. If Robbie reads this, we should really do all that stuff we said we were going to!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Getoverture
I dunno if I'd measure up to young drummer of the year (is there any videos of this person on youtube by the way, I'd be interested to see the level you have to be at to win this kind of thing), but I can do most stuff in the confines of your standard rock/blues/funk band, your regular John Bohnam stuff, and I don't know if you know Porcupine tree, but I like to play a lot of their stuff. Guitar wise, I'm no shredder, I play a lot of blues/rock lead though.

Definitely up for some jammage.

Lol, very few people do! His name's Harpal Mudhar, he was in the final last year too (but lost to a blind guy :eek: ), and his performance is on youtube if you search his name. We don't get to jam enough though :frown:. His parents are very strict about work etc...

Sounds great! What college are you at? I know Porcupine Tree - they're very cool. And Bonham is the greatest drummer of all time, all considered :smile:.
Becca
All the stuff you just mentioned. I reckon I'm ok, a little shy though. :redface:
I just love singing. If Robbie reads this, we should really do all that stuff we said we were going to!

Any fave bands...?

Sounds great, come over to Mildert for a jam in October or something! KNow any other musos?
I've got an offer from Mildert. I'm getting nothing when I search for Harpal Mudhar though :confused:
Reply 24
Danny_777
Any fave bands...?

Sounds great, come over to Mildert for a jam in October or something! KNow any other musos?

I can play piano a bit too...out of practise though with this year abroad malarkey. Fave bands. Hmm, Cream + most bands Eric Clapton has been in, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Robert Johnson, Rolling Stones, ACDC, Iron Maiden......loads. I like all kinds of music, I play cello and piano, so classical is way up there too. But I have a particular place in my heart for Blues I have to say. :love:
I believe Jess is a muso, and Robbie. :smile:
Becca
I can play piano a bit too...out of practise though with this year abroad malarkey. Fave bands. Hmm, Cream + most bands Eric Clapton has been in, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Robert Johnson, Rolling Stones, ACDC, Iron Maiden......loads. I like all kinds of music, I play cello and piano, so classical is way up there too. But I have a particular place in my heart for Blues I have to say. :love:
I believe Jess is a muso, and Robbie. :smile:

I think it's pretty safe to say I've just fallen in love with you :p:.

Zeppelin are my favourite band of all time!

Definitely come over to Mildert and jam. It would be immense.
Zeppelin are amazing!!! The other bands you mentioned are amazing Becca, tohugh personally I'm not overly keen on Maiden. If I choose Durham it sounds like there will be good opportunities for forming a band.
Reply 27
Danny_777
I think it's pretty safe to say I've just fallen in love with you :p:.

Zeppelin are my favourite band of all time!

Definitely come over to Mildert and jam. It would be immense.

Well, you know, it's difficult not to :p:
I forgot Ray Charles off that list. And Joni Mitchell. Oh and I did I mention I have a keen interest in irish folk music too? So I shouldn't neglect Planxty or Fairport Convention! Argh! It's too hard to name my favourite bands. :redface:
The Iron Maiden thing comes from my little bro, who is pretty much one of their biggest fans - has all their albums, went to see them in December, gets in a bad mood if he misses them on TOTP 2 etc etc....
I don't know a *lot* of their songs, I just find them highly amusing, and as such can appreciate them. :p:
Plus, the drumming on Run To The Hills is pretty hot, no? :biggrin:
Fairport Convention. Nice. I love Sandy Denny, and Richard Thompson. I've not heard all the Fairport Stuff, just stuff from their classic albums. And Joni Mitchell is very cool. I still need to get a copy of Blue.
Reply 29
I'll bring my bass...these guitar sounds can always do with a bit of fleshing out. I have to admit, I'm not into all these heavy metal sounds but I'm happy to do a bit of Led Zep and Hendrix.

Could this be the beginnings of a great new band...
Perhaps! What kind of stuff are you into?
Reply 31
It fluctuates but mainly The Beatles (who doesn't), Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Shins, Portishead, Radiohead, Duran Duran (I'm in an 80's phase at the moment and therefore I should include the Smiths), Incubus (probably my one nod to my 15 year old self), John Mayer, I've discovered Lauryn Hill and the Fugees about 8 years too late, ach the list could go on.

Oh ye- I really shouldn't admit to this, but I'm absolutely loving the new Take That single- Shine. What a great song!!!!

Basically if it's a good pop song, I'll like it. I have an aversion to distorted guitar unless it is tastefully used...
Getoverture
Fairport Convention. Nice. I love Sandy Denny, and Richard Thompson. I've not heard all the Fairport Stuff, just stuff from their classic albums. And Joni Mitchell is very cool. I still need to get a copy of Blue.

Yes!!! Richard Thompson is a god... ever heard Vincent Black Lightning 1952? Cold Kisses?
AdamTJ
I'll bring my bass...these guitar sounds can always do with a bit of fleshing out. I have to admit, I'm not into all these heavy metal sounds but I'm happy to do a bit of Led Zep and Hendrix.

Could this be the beginnings of a great new band...

Fantastic! Bassists are a b!tch to find...

Doing some Hendrix and Zeppelin would just be bliss!
Becca
Well, you know, it's difficult not to :p:
I forgot Ray Charles off that list. And Joni Mitchell. Oh and I did I mention I have a keen interest in irish folk music too? So I shouldn't neglect Planxty or Fairport Convention! Argh! It's too hard to name my favourite bands. :redface:
The Iron Maiden thing comes from my little bro, who is pretty much one of their biggest fans - has all their albums, went to see them in December, gets in a bad mood if he misses them on TOTP 2 etc etc....
I don't know a *lot* of their songs, I just find them highly amusing, and as such can appreciate them. :p:
Plus, the drumming on Run To The Hills is pretty hot, no? :biggrin:

Lol! Well, obviously :p:

Ooh, I saw them in December too! It actually was rubbish, even without the 45 minute powercut. Shameless album hyping and self-promotion. No regards for classic fans. Grr. All their new stuff is poo compared to Maiden of old!!

I would just love to get in a huuuge band. Bass, drums, saxes, etc... Do things like James Brown, etc...

Otherwise, the guitarist, bassist, drummer and singer we have in this little thread would make a kick ass band... :biggrin:

I really do overuse elipses.......
Reply 35
Hehe, my brother's only 16, he's loved Maiden since he was about 11, it was my fault actually, I played him Run To The Hills and he was like "awesome!" and then he went and spent all his christmas and birthday money on their back catalogue, got a guitar for Christmas and started learning to play their songs. He's really awesome at guitar now, but I keep trying to broaden his music tastes by buying him CDs like Pixies and System of a Down, but he just gave them to my sister. :frown: :rolleyes:
Where did you see Maiden? I think he went to Brixton, can't remember him mentioning a powercut, but he said he really enjoyed it. He likes all Maiden songs, and blindly (or deafly) believes every single one to be a work of genius, even though I tell him that really, quite a lot of them sound the same...(this really annoys him)...:p:

I would love to do some James Brown, he's another person I love! His songs are difficult to sing though, e.g. Sex Machine, I don't think anyone can pull that off really...

I also really over use elipses................:p: :biggrin:
Becca
Hehe, my brother's only 16, he's loved Maiden since he was about 11, it was my fault actually, I played him Run To The Hills and he was like "awesome!" and then he went and spent all his christmas and birthday money on their back catalogue, got a guitar for Christmas and started learning to play their songs. He's really awesome at guitar now, but I keep trying to broaden his music tastes by buying him CDs like Pixies and System of a Down, but he just gave them to my sister. :frown: :rolleyes:
Where did you see Maiden? I think he went to Brixton, can't remember him mentioning a powercut, but he said he really enjoyed it. He likes all Maiden songs, and blindly (or deafly) believes every single one to be a work of genius, even though I tell him that really, quite a lot of them sound the same...(this really annoys him)...:p:

I would love to do some James Brown, he's another person I love! His songs are difficult to sing though, e.g. Sex Machine, I don't think anyone can pull that off really...

I also really over use elipses................:p: :biggrin:

I went to the one at Earl's Court. Maiden are doing a tremendous 'comeback' at Donington Monsters of Rock (where they did their greatest gig of all time!) I think. Your brother would love you forever for tickets lol.

But yeah, half their stuff sounds the same, and all of their new stuff does. However, the old albums = :eek: wow....

Oh lord, System of a Down!!! We SO have to do some System tracks lol, however horrendously difficult they'll be!

And we will do Sex Machine. Defo. I bagsy the 'geddon UPP!' backing vox :biggrin:.
Reply 37
Danny_777
I would just love to get in a huuuge band. Bass, drums, saxes, etc... Do things like James Brown, etc...

Otherwise, the guitarist, bassist, drummer and singer we have in this little thread would make a kick ass band... :biggrin:

To be honest, I'm quite sure any guitarist could play the bass; one day I decided I wanted to play bass, so I bought one, learnt how to use my fingers instead of a plectrum, and that was it. Like I enjoy playing guitar more, but if I'm just jamming I'm very happy to play bass because it improves the sound so much. Paul Mccartney was a great bassist because he was a guitarist himself and played it like a rhythm guitar.

Did the whole big band thing at school, was a genuine collaboration between people in the wind bands and rock bands; performed it open air in the summer, went down a storm *thinks back nostalgically*. Ach- funk is happy, summer music.

I find heavy metal...intense; it all sounds like a bit of a racket to me; and the types that listen to it are quite often smelly headbangers who haven't washed for months! (I'm sorry it's true). Even System of a Down are a bit too negative for me and again, they look like tramps.

Becca...try and get your bro into Death Cab for Cutie! Now that's a band that should be absolutely huge! It might calm him down a bit. The Pixies are good though, I agree with you there.
AdamTJ

To be honest, I'm quite sure any guitarist could play the bass; one day I decided I wanted to play bass, so I bought one, learnt how to use my fingers instead of a plectrum, and that was it. Like I enjoy playing guitar more, but if I'm just jamming I'm very happy to play bass because it improves the sound so much. Paul Mccartney was a great bassist because he was a guitarist himself and played it like a rhythm guitar.

Did the whole big band thing at school, was a genuine collaboration between people in the wind bands and rock bands; performed it open air in the summer, went down a storm *thinks back nostalgically*. Ach- funk is happy, summer music.

Becca...try and get your bro into Death Cab for Cutie! Now that's a band that should be absolutely huge! It might calm him down a bit. The Pixies are good though, I agree with you there.

Definitely - I bought a bass myself for the exact same reason! THe bassist in one of my current bands is primarily a guitarist too.

The big band sounds sweet! Id love to play Durham's annual 'Jam by the Lake' at Mildert in the summer in a band...

And hell yes, the Pixies are great. They're so irreverent - I love that about their music! Monkey Gone to Heaven would be fantastic to play.
Reply 39
Danny_777
I went to the one at Earl's Court. Maiden are doing a tremendous 'comeback' at Donington Monsters of Rock (where they did their greatest gig of all time!) I think. Your brother would love you forever for tickets lol.

But yeah, half their stuff sounds the same, and all of their new stuff does. However, the old albums = :eek: wow....

Oh lord, System of a Down!!! We SO have to do some System tracks lol, however horrendously difficult they'll be!

And we will do Sex Machine. Defo. I bagsy the 'geddon UPP!' backing vox :biggrin:.

I would love *me* forever if I had the money to buy him tickets :p:
I love System of a Down because of the way they blend Armenian (?)/Eastern folk music with heavy metal, it's genius! Oh my god I love music so much, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Garfunkel, Jeff Buckley, Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush...how could I forget them?!?!?! You've started me off now!
Adam, I will try Deathcab with my bro but he is quite unmoveable from his staples of Maiden, ACDC, Thin Lizzy (another awesome band), Aerosmith and Guns and Roses, oh and the Scissor Sisters, lol!
Oh yeah and I forgot about all his crappy Christian bands...:s-smilie:
But yeah, he doesn't like my varied music tastes. ;no;

Latest