The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers?

From Scottish higher results what would be the typical grades required to get an unconditional offer (in my case I want to apply for history)? Will just getting the required grades be enough or do you need straight a's? (Also sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm very new at this):smile:
Only some universities participate in giving out unconditional offers before a candidate gets their results.

They only do it to secure top students who otherwise may go somewhere else. I got 2 unconditional offers before getting my A2 results from Keele and Birmingham, however, I also know that Lancaster and De Mon fort have similar schemes.

Therefore, check to see if the university has a scheme set up :smile:

Good luck

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2015.aspx
Unconditional offers are not at all as rare as they used to be and many universities have been giving them out to A level students this year. OP is Scottish, however, and the education system there is different to one based on A levels. Unconditionals are a regular feature of the landscape there.

@__amy OP, you might want to post in the Scottish qualifications forum for advice from those used to the system. I can't claim to be, I'm afraid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Yellow636
Only some universities participate in giving out unconditional offers before a candidate gets their results.

They only do it to secure top students who otherwise may go somewhere else. I got 2 unconditional offers before getting my A2 results from Keele and Birmingham, however, I also know that Lancaster and De Mon fort have similar schemes.

Therefore, check to see if the university has a scheme set up :smile:

Good luck

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2015.aspx

In Scotland it's slightly different as far as I'm aware and more are given out considering we already have results when applying, I got AAAAB and was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this, thanks though:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Unconditional offers are not at all as rare as they used to be and many universities have been giving them out to A level students this year. OP is Scottish, however, and the education system there is different to one based on A levels. Unconditionals are a regular feature of the landscape there.

OP, you might want to post in the Scottish qualifications forum for advice from those used to the system. I can't claim to be, I'm afraid.

Ah cheers! I'll give that a shot, didn't even realise there was a Scottish forum :')
Original post by __amy
From Scottish higher results what would be the typical grades required to get an unconditional offer (in my case I want to apply for history)? Will just getting the required grades be enough or do you need straight a's? (Also sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm very new at this):smile:

It's worth posting in the forums for the universities you want to go to, that way you can see what other applicants have experienced. The other repliers obviously don't understand that the Scottish system works differently.
Reply 6
Off top of my head I know that the following schools give out unconditional offers:
-Birmingham
-Nottingham
-SOAS
-Sussex
-QMUL?

There is no formula to get an unconditional offer, obviously you need great grades, but it doesnt stop there. Personal statement, interviews and other factors weigh in as well.
Original post by __amy
Ah cheers! I'll give that a shot, didn't even realise there was a Scottish forum :':wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Give these two a go.
Original post by Summit

There is no formula to get an unconditional offer, obviously you need great grades, but it doesnt stop there. Personal statement, interviews and other factors weigh in as well.

Yeah i agree! My experience of unconditional's (from people I know who've had them) they're not so much based on outstanding attainment, as outstanding overall student. I know interviews have a large role to play, because obviously they are good way for the universities to get to know you, but i think it also depends on the university itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending