The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offers?

Really unsure where to post this, but I'm hoping to apply for history however was wondering what typical higher grades would let you get an unconditional offer? And whether meeting the entry requirements is enough or you need straight A's?
Reply 1
Original post by __amy
Really unsure where to post this, but I'm hoping to apply for history however was wondering what typical higher grades would let you get an unconditional offer? And whether meeting the entry requirements is enough or you need straight A's?

Unconditional offers tend to be given to students to have a really good interview or really good Work experience
Original post by chem@uni
Unconditional offers tend to be given to students to have a really good interview or really good Work experience

Great grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Mystery.
Great grades?

Yes that one was assumed but meant great grades alone wont usually be enough for an unconditional at AS
Honestly, it kind of depends.
Compared to what I was estimated for, I did very poorly in my highers. I was predicted AAAAB and only actually achieved AABBC. My school was in an 'area of deprivation' so we had access to different programs that could affect what kind of offers we would receive from universities.

My personal statement was full of the different things I'd achieved (sports, school captain, proxime accessit, clubs, the programs I'd completed etc.) I honestly have no idea if it was actually good or bad as no one really sorted it for me beyond spelling errors and typos, just general sorts of things like that.

I applied to 5 universities for English/English Literature and Language: Strathclyde, Stirling, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow. I received unconditional offers from all 5 and was absolutely gobsmacked.

Generally, I think it depends on the applicant. Certain things can stand out to particular unis so it really is a very subjective business I'm afraid.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by The Milk Thief
Compared to what I was estimated for, I did very poorly in my highers. I was predicted AAAAB and only actually achieved AABBC. My school was in an 'area of deprivation' so we had access to different programs that could affect what kind of offers we would receive from universities.

My personal statement was full of the different things I'd achieved (sports, school captain, proxime accessit, clubs, the programs I'd completed etc.) I honestly have no idea if it was actually good or bad as no one really sorted it for me beyond spelling errors and typos, just general sorts of things like that.

I applied to 5 universities for English/English Literature and Language: Strathclyde, Stirling, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow. I received unconditional offers from all 5 and was absolutely gobsmacked.

Generally, I think it depends on the applicant. Certain things can stand out to particular unis so it really is a very subjective business I'm afraid.

Good luck!

WOW! NICE! I'm thinking of studying a similar route to you but am really stuck on my personal statement. Would you be able to send it to me? I understand you may not want everyone to see so could you email it to me through a pm???
PLEASE!?!?
Original post by Jeff548
WOW! NICE! I'm thinking of studying a similar route to you but am really stuck on my personal statement. Would you be able to send it to me? I understand you may not want everyone to see so could you email it to me through a pm???
PLEASE!?!?

I don't have the exact draft that went on my ucas form as it was quickly edited by a teacher just before I sent it. I'll send you the last draft I had which is slightly over the character allowance, but the general personal statement I sent was very similar to this one :smile:
Original post by chem@uni
Yes that one was assumed but meant great grades alone wont usually be enough for an unconditional at AS

But is may well do when taking Highers :smile: It will of course depend on what subject you are thinking of taking and how good your personal statement is as well but if you have4 or 5 A's or maybe even AAABB you may well get a unconditional if you look like a strong candidate
Reply 8
I don't have the exact draft that went on my ucas form as it was quickly edited by a teacher just before I sent it. I'll send you the last draft I had which is slightly over the character allowance, but the general personal statement I sent was very similar to this one :smile:

Wow thank you thank you so much!!! :smile:
Original post by Jeff548
Wow thank you thank you so much!!! :smile:

No problem! If I can help you out with anything else, just give me a shout :smile:
Reply 10
No problem! If I can help you out with anything else, just give me a shout :smile:

question, what were the min. entrance requirements for your course?
Original post by Jeff548
question, what were the min. entrance requirements for your course?

Good question! I don't remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of:

Edinburgh- BBBB
Stirling- BBBB
Strathclyde- Looked for min. BBB to be considered
Glasgow- ABBB
Aberdeen- ABBB

Again, I don't remember the exact details, but the additional programs I did with my school definitely helped me to get in.
I got an unconditional offer from University of Birmingham for English Lit and Lang and Birmingham City University for English. I got ABBB in AS but my personal statment was the bomb even if I do say so myself. Its all about the reference and the personality you present in your personal statement. I'm predicted AAA which is average tbf😅
Reply 13
I'd say that getting five As in Higher would be your greatest asset in your UCAS application.
Numptygirl got 5 As in her Highers and has her first offer from a Scottish Uni, an unconditional. Still waiting for more Universities to reply, but I imagine they will be either unconditional or a straight rejection (hopefully the former). I think 5 As is very difficult for any Uni to pick fault with.
Can someone get an unconditional with 4 AABB (Highers)? Maths - A, physics - B, information systems - B, Modern studies - A

I am predicted AABC this year.
Advanced Higher Maths - A (predicted)
Advanced Higher Physics - B (predicted)
Advanced Higher Computing Sci - C (predicted)
Higher English - A (predicted)

Could I get an unconditional?

I'm wishing to study mathematics and physics.

//phone

Good luck!

Wow thats amazing, well done! Im applying to do English and German and i'm really struggling to construct a personal statement that will help my chances as I only achieved AABB in my highers in S5. Would it be possible if you could also send me your first draft of your personal statement just to give me a help?! Would really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by HannahWatson31
Wow thats amazing, well done! Im applying to do English and German and i'm really struggling to construct a personal statement that will help my chances as I only achieved AABB in my highers in S5. Would it be possible if you could also send me your first draft of your personal statement just to give me a help?! Would really appreciate it :smile:

Nearly 1 year old thread lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending