The Student Room Group

This is how we treat disabled poeple now apparently

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, those Labour voters in Merseyside who elected a council that's so incompetent it can't properly house a disabled person should really think twice before voting for them again.
The Tories are absolutely awful. I have no idea what possessed people to vote for them. My education is also in major distress and it's distressing me! Also, the amount of votes UKIP got was extremely unbelievable. I am ashamed to live under such a rubbish and selfish government.
Reply 3
WOW :/
a few months *after we left our adapted house we were told we shouldn’t have had to go. Rob did meet the criteria to stay where he was.

So basically the bedroom tax did not apply to this family but the local council wrongly told them it did.

Is this the fault of:-

(a) the government for not imposing a reduction on this family's benefits; or

(b) the local authority for wrongly applying the law?
Original post by L i b
Yep, those Labour voters in Merseyside who elected a council that's so incompetent it can't properly house a disabled person should really think twice before voting for them again.

This is the essence of Cameron's localism. Devolve to local councils. Make everything a postcode lottery and information harder to get at. Cut funding to Labour councils. People blame (Labour) councils rather than Whitehall.

I hope nobody reading this falls into your divide and rule trap.
Original post by nulli tertius
So basically the bedroom tax did not apply to this family but the local council wrongly told them it did.

Is this the fault of:-

(a) the government for not imposing a reduction on this family's benefits; or

(b) the local authority for wrongly applying the law?

It is the fault of the government for:
1. empowering the council to make decisions they may not be qualified to make
2. cutting the council's funding so that they have an incentive to misinform and extract money from residents

Note that this is party political, directed at Labour councils
Original post by scrotgrot
2. cutting the council's funding so that they have an incentive to misinform and extract money from residents

The Housing Benefit system has been operated by local authorities for more than 30 years. It is untenable to suggest that because a particular council is incompetent, the government is to blame for not taking that function away from local authorities.

Local authorities get 100% recovery from central government for mandatory HB entitlement. They have each been given a fund for discretionary payments but this seems to have been the wrong application of the rules for mandatory HB. The local council is not a penny piece better off by the misinformation.
(edited 8 years ago)

The council were clearly able to fund the man living at the house as they could fund the elderly couple who moved in afterwards who didn't pay the extra tax. The problem was that the Labour council didn't follow to guidelines from the Conservative government. Entirely the council's fault.
Reply 9
This is the essence of Cameron's localism. Devolve to local councils. Make everything a postcode lottery and information harder to get at. Cut funding to Labour councils. People blame (Labour) councils rather than Whitehall.

I hope nobody reading this falls into your divide and rule trap.

Housing and DHPs have been local authority issues long before David Cameron was Prime Minister.

Discretionary Housing Payment funding from central government has increased enormously under this Government.
Reply 10
Original post by Pandora___
The Tories are absolutely awful. I have no idea what possessed people to vote for them. My education is also in major distress and it's distressing me! Also, the amount of votes UKIP got was extremely unbelievable. I am ashamed to live under such a rubbish and selfish government.

It's a shame your education didn't point out the existence of local authorities in the UK, who have responsibility for a number of public services including... housing!
Original post by Pandora___

How's the incompetence of a Labour council the Tories' fault?

Also isnt it funny how it's nearly always Labour councils that are run like banana republics?
Original post by KimKallstrom
How's the incompetence of a Labour council the Tories' fault?

Also isnt it funny how it's nearly always Labour councils that are run like banana republics?

The Tories have hugely cut budgets to labour councils while often increasing them to Tory ones.
Wow you're funny.
Quite why you feel the need to cheerlead for the Tories, supporting everything they do,is quite revealing.
Pfft I didnt vote for that. Proud to be represented by one of the 56 SNP MPs opposed to austerity measures in Westminster.
the tories are absolute trash
Reply 15
Original post by CAElite
Pfft I didnt vote for that. Proud to be represented by one of the 56 SNP MPs opposed to austerity measures in Westminster.

Funny how the SNP then have been cutting money out of local authority budgets that deal with housing in Scotland then, eh?
Bedroom tax is Tory.

If the labour council could have stopped this but didn't then what the **** are they playing at? These are the people they are supposed to represent.

I'm stupid enough to absolve the Tories of any responsibility however.
"To make it worse, a few months *after we left our adapted house we were told we shouldn't have had to go. Rob did meet the criteria to stay where he was."

So it was actually the inept Labour council.
Original post by L i b
Funny how the SNP then have been cutting money out of local authority budgets that deal with housing in Scotland then, eh?

What? Source please.
Reply 19
Original post by Copperknickers
What? Source please.

The Audit Scotland local government overview 2015. This identifies a 8.5% real terms cut in councils' funding from the Scottish Government for local authorities.

If you follow Scottish politics at all, I'm amazed you haven't heard of this. Not only are councils and trade unions protesting this loudly, but councils are racking up record debts as a consequence.

Now, local authority funding is being reduced across the UK - to deny this is happening in Scotland is bizarre. But what is certainly the case is that Discretionary Housing Payments have increased significantly under the current government, giving local authorities far more freedom to deal with these sorts of cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending