The Student Room Group

Do you think doing gcses in one school year is impressive?

I did my Gcse's in one year because I was away for almost 9 years form the UK.
GCSE's grades are:
A* - Arabic
A- English and maths
B- Double award science and business
C- ICT

Question is do you think top UNI's will consider my 'GCSE's in a year condition' because of the not so excellent gcse grades (they're alright and I'm alright with them but I'm aiming high with UNI choices)

I'm taking maths, Further maths, Gov&Pol and Sociology.
I'll like to study a degree in the politics&philosophy/International development field

What do you think ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well this depends on your Alevel grades and what degree you want to partake in, however I think you can still get into a Russel group Uni not necessarily Cambridge nor Oxford.
How come you only took 7 GCSEs? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
How come you only took 7 GCSEs? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was supposed to do 8 but I was really sick for my RE exam and couldn't go; so I missed that.
Also I think doing 7 (almost 8) gcses in one year was alright in my case and bare in mind I was completely knew to the English curriculum, the way they they examined you and just everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Don't think the fact you did them in one year will be recognized at all if i'm honest
Original post by Rabadon
Don't think the fact you did them in one year will be recognized at all if i'm honest

But do you think it will be regarded as a an excuse/reason for not getting all A*s if I were to apply to a competitive university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by blck&burgundy
But do you think it will be regarded as a an excuse/reason for not getting all A*s if I were to apply to a competitive university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not, they'd argue that you're allowed the time so why not use it
I once completed a colouring in book in 24 hours.

Being serious, if you achieve very good AS and A level grades, combined with a fantastic reference and personal statement then you will stand a chance with quite a few good universities. You'll have to work quite a lot harder though.
Original post by Rabadon
Probably not, they'd argue that you're allowed the time so why not use it

Anyways thanks for the honest feedback :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by david9640
I once completed a colouring in book in 24 hours.

Being serious, if you achieve very good AS and A level grades, combined with a fantastic reference and personal statement then you will stand a chance with quite a few good universities. You'll have to work quite a lot harder though.

I know doing gcse's in a year isn't impressive (I just didn't know what other title to give the thread) I just wanted to know whether I can use that as a reason if I applied to a competitive UNI and they asked me about my GCSE grades.
However congratulations on finishing colouring a WHOLE book in 24 hours !!!! Must have been one hella of an achievement !

Thanks and I'm certainly starting college with the mindset of achieving four A's by the end of year 12. I'll be working really really hard for that.
Again thanks for taking time to answer me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know doing gcse's in a year isn't impressive (I just didn't know what other title to give the thread) I just wanted to know whether I can use that as a reason if I applied to a competitive UNI and they asked me about my GCSE grades.
However congratulations on finishing colouring a WHOLE book in 24 hours !!!! Must have been one hella of an achievement !

Thanks and I'm certainly starting college with the mindset of achieving four A's by the end of year 12. I'll be working really really hard for that.
Again thanks for taking time to answer me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know why but I always feel the need to start my reply to one of these posts with a bit of patronising levity. Your was very witty though, it made me laugh! Haha!

If you work hard, achieve excellent grades and such then I don't see how you won't achieve an offer from a very reputable university. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by david9640
I don't know why but I always feel the need to start my reply to one of these posts with a bit of patronising levity. Your was very witty though, it made me laugh! Haha!

If you work hard, achieve excellent grades and such then I don't see how you won't achieve an offer from a very reputable university. I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Haha it's alright, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 13 gcse in one year...
Original post by judogainz
I did 13 gcse in one year...

Congrats on that, when did you do that?
In yr 11 or yr 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on that, when did you do that?
In yr 11 or yr 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

yr 11
yr 11

What were you doing in yr 10? If I may ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
What were you doing in yr 10? If I may ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? i didn't do any exams if thats what you meant.
What do you mean? i didn't do any exams if thats what you meant.

So you were still learning the GCSE content in yr10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since everyone seems to be sharing; I did 2 of my GCSEs in year 10, having only started them that year and then took another 10 that were spread out over year 10 and 11, this was the normal at my school and it was rare that people did less than 10 GCSEs, I personally got 5As, 6Bs and 1C and then got AABD in my AS levels, aiming for 3 As next year.

I would think that if your personal statement was top notch and you explained the situation in that and then you got really good A levels, but for those higher universities there is a lot of competition and from what I've been told they start to look at the quantity and quality of your GCSEs now after looking at your A levels and statement, I think it probably will swing in your favour that you did those early and new to the system but be aware that there will be a lot of people applying for those places who will have far more GCSEs than you. Plus if you got stellar A level results like you're planning on getting they probably won't even look at your GCSEs past being like wow they did them in a year if you mention that in your statement. Also having done them in another country always works out in your favour anyway. :smile:
The answer is yes.

To clarify, I will assume that OP is saying that they only started studying for all 7 GCSEs at the start of Year 11. I did the same, and it was taken into consideration when I applied to university. I even got considered by Cambridge (but I flunked my interview)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending