The Student Room Group

**Hong Kong Non-JUPAS Applicants 2016**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello everyone, I need more information as I'll be applying to HKU and CUHK MBBS this year. here is my situation.I just finished my PhD in Chemistry in HKU and my Bsc in Chemistry was also in chemistry at HKU.What are my chances?Please let me know your experiences also. any phds' applying?Faisal
yo LM
Reply 22
Original post by faisalm
Hello everyone, I need more information as I'll be applying to HKU and CUHK MBBS this year. here is my situation.I just finished my PhD in Chemistry in HKU and my Bsc in Chemistry was also in chemistry at HKU.What are my chances?Please let me know your experiences also. any phds' applying?Faisal

So...you studied up to a PhD before deciding to do med?
Reply 23
Well lets say I figured that with my mediocre results in AL it's not easy to to get into med right away so why not do a PhD in cancer research first. At least I'll get more experience first.
Reply 24
Hello everyone!

I am currently studying As Levels in the UK, (Maths,Further Maths and Business), I recently finished my Gcses with 2A* 4A 2B 2C and will be taking my ielts exam soon. I am looking to apply to the six university listed above (HKU UST CU BU PolyU CityU) and wanting to do a degree in Accountanting and Finance, is it possible to apply with my gcses results? Is it good enough? Also what is the difference between fast track and main round? Which should I apply to? (Fast or main?)

Thanks in advance for answering!
Original post by thesmallman
Hey- I'm applying for LLB at HKU and CUHK...heard it's ridiculously competitive so not getting my hopes up.

How important are interviews as part of the admissions process for HKU (compared to academic results, predicted grades, personal statements and references)

HKU - A*A*A* ( average of 95%)
CUHK -AAA (80 % average)
Original post by fedorahat88
HKU - A*A*A* ( average of 95%)
CUHK -AAA (80 % average)

Does the Hku offer include 95% as well as 3A*s??- should be able to make it but would be risky

How is the cuhk offer so much lower??
These are my results:

Gcses: 10A*s 3As
AS: 4As (best 3-96% average, best 4- 92.6%)
Predicted: A*A*A* +A(further maths AS)

Do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

@fedorahat88
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wuj
Hello everyone!

I am currently studying As Levels in the UK, (Maths,Further Maths and Business), I recently finished my Gcses with 2A* 4A 2B 2C and will be taking my ielts exam soon. I am looking to apply to the six university listed above (HKU UST CU BU PolyU CityU) and wanting to do a degree in Accountanting and Finance, is it possible to apply with my gcses results? Is it good enough? Also what is the difference between fast track and main round? Which should I apply to? (Fast or main?)

Thanks in advance for answering!

So you're applying with GCSE results only??
If so, I'm afraid you have no chance of gaining admission this year because hk universites changed their policy on early admission and decided not to accept students with GCSE results only. I applied last year with 10A*s and got automatically rejecte, so yeah.
Reply 29
Thanks for replying, where did you see the info about the unis changing their policy?
Original post by Wuj
Thanks for replying, where did you see the info about the unis changing their policy?

Had a meeting with a law faculty professor last year and he told me, but to be fair, I can only speak for LLB... other courses may offer it I don't know ull have to speak contact the admissions team.

But according to what I know the minimum EAS criteria even before they changed their policy was 8A* at gcse or 6A* with extremely outstanding extracurricular achievements.

Anyways, I think it's quite unlikely ud be given an offer.

And just out of interest, are u only doing 3ASs including maths and fm, it's quite a narrow range of subject areas...don't know about hk unis but uk universities certainly don't like that kind of thing
Reply 31
Had a meeting with a law faculty professor last year and he told me, but to be fair, I can only speak for LLB... other courses may offer it I don't know ull have to speak contact the admissions team.

But according to what I know the minimum EAS criteria even before they changed their policy was 8A* at gcse or 6A* with extremely outstanding extracurricular achievements.

Anyways, I think it's quite unlikely ud be given an offer.

And just out of interest, are u only doing 3ASs including maths and fm, it's quite a narrow range of subject areas...don't know about hk unis but uk universities certainly don't like that kind of thing

Tbh I know it's really hard to get into hk unis and I am only trying this year so I wasn't expecting much anyway:frown: but it would obviously be good if I get in but if I don't then I guess I can try again next year....regarding to the subject choices, since I am not doing anything related to science I don't want to pick a science a level which i don't need. Ugh idk...
These are my results:

Gcses: 10A*s 3As
AS: 4As (best 3-96% average, best 4- 92.6%)
Predicted: A*A*A* +A(further maths AS)

Do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

@fedorahat88

cuhk yes hku maybe
Original post by theasian_csl
Hi ! I am thinking of applying HKU BA programme. I got ABBC last year, and my predicted grades are AAB. Unlike many of you, I dont have the Asian brain :frown: . Apparently the offer is normally A*AB, do you think I will still be able to get an offer from HKU?

Why don't you go for BA+BEd then drop the BEd after you've got in?
Does the Hku offer include 95% as well as 3A*s??- should be able to make it but would be risky

How is the cuhk offer so much lower??

ChineseU is a lot less prestigious, a lot lower on all league tables for almost everything, the law school a lot younger (which means much weaker connection in an HKU/Oxbridge-dominated law field).
Original post by Little Toy Gun
ChineseU is a lot less prestigious, a lot lower on all league tables for almost everything, the law school a lot younger (which means much weaker connection in an HKU/Oxbridge-dominated law field).

Yeah I guess that's fair enough...
What are my chances of getting an offer from hku in ur opinion?? Really worried atm :frown:
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Why don't you go for BA+BEd then drop the BEd after you've got in?

What's the typical offer for BA+BEd ?
Original post by theasian_csl
What's the typical offer for BA+BEd ?

Don't know but lower.
What are my chances of getting an offer from hku in ur opinion?? Really worried atm :frown:

Don't know.

not high but you never know

Quick Reply

Latest