The Student Room Group

US government says cannabis kills cancer cells

The US government has confirmed that cannabis can kill cancer cells after the drug did so in tests on mice and rats, according to the National Cancer Institute.

On its website The National Cancer Institute, part of the US department of health, said: "Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids (the active ingredient in cannabis) may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.

"They may inhibit tumour growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumours to grow."
The studies in rodents show that cannabinoids may reduce the risk of colon, liver and breast cancer, and could make chemotherapy more effective.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11820620/US-government-says-cannabis-kills-cancer-cells.html

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised they haven't claimed to have discovered that piece of information (which has been around for literally years).
It certainly took them long enough. Too busy bombing other countries to help their own people no doubt.

Come at me :colone:
Reply 2
Original post by Drunk Punx
Too busy bombing other countries to help their own people no doubt.

Come at me :colone:

Bah at least most of them can get medical marijuana unlike in this medieval backwater.
Original post by n09
Bah at least most of them can get medical marijuana unlike in this medieval backwater.

Comparatively true, yes. But on the plus side, at least police forces and indeed some courts across the UK are now supposedly taking a much more lenient view of cannabis users, especially people using it for medicinal purpose.
Reply 4
Comparatively true, yes. But on the plus side, at least police forces and indeed some courts across the UK are now supposedly taking a much more lenient view of cannabis users, especially people using it for medicinal purpose.

The courts are willing to give up all that POCA money?:eek:

The DVLA not so much. If you use any illegal drug the DVLA expect you to inform them, £1000 if you don't, at least 6 months without a licence and piss tests if you do, Doctors are obliged to inform the DVLA of any illegal drug use.
Tell that to Bob Marley
Original post by n09
The courts are willing to give up all that POCA money?:eek:

The DVLA not so much. If you use any illegal drug the DVLA expect you to inform them, £1000 if you don't, at least 6 months without a licence and piss tests if you do, Doctors are obliged to inform the DVLA of any illegal drug use.

I think it's more to do with the general attitude towards the drug war has shifted to being of the mindset that it's failed, so they're no longer banging people up for having a few joints on them (hyperbole; I don't actually know what the limit for personal possession is before they decide to carry you off to a cell).

While he didn't exactly avoid jail, read this story for perspective:
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/polish-man-jailed-growing-cannabis-9917419

He got 6 months despite having a reasonably large grow going on. A handful of years ago he probably would've got a few years at least.
Reply 7
I think it's more to do with the general attitude towards the drug war has shifted to being of the mindset that it's failed, so they're no longer banging people up for having a few joints on them (hyperbole; I don't actually know what the limit for personal possession is before they decide to carry you off to a cell).

While he didn't exactly avoid jail, read this story for perspective:
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/polish-man-jailed-growing-cannabis-9917419

He got 6 months despite having a reasonably large grow going on. A handful of years ago he probably would've got a few years at least.

Sure it's improving slowly, but a 6 month sentence is bad enough, once that's over you still risk having all your possessions confiscated under POCA, the DVLA taking your driving licence and your criminal record preventing you from getting a job.
Original post by n09
Sure it's improving slowly, but a 6 month sentence is bad enough, once that's over you still risk having all your possessions confiscated under POCA, the DVLA taking your driving licence and your criminal record preventing you from getting a job.

I never said it was perfect, merely that it was better than it used to be :wink:

Sadly there's still a lot of work to be done. I really think we should model the campaign for legalising cannabis on the Spaniards, they've got it spot on.
Maybe the UK can finally learn something and sort their **** out.
Reply 10
I never said it was perfect, merely that it was better than it used to be :wink:

Sadly there's still a lot of work to be done. I really think we should model the campaign for legalising cannabis on the Spaniards, they've got it spot on.

That would be nice but probably even less likely than us following the Netherlands or Colorado, Spain’s constitution gives considerable protection to what people do in the privacy of their homes and private places, where as we seemingly don't give a **** about privacy and you can't even have a private conversation with our doctors about drug use.
(edited 8 years ago)

The fact that the chemical in Cannabis is able to does not mean it's a good idea to smoke it (for one thing, your lungs are not the biggest fans and it has links to mental effects), especially since smoking does not give you the chemical in sufficient quantities (you'd be dead from Oxygen deprivation long before).

What it means is that we need to learn how to separate the chemical and get it to people in sufficient doses.

Cocaine and Kettamin for example also have medical uses.. that does'nt mean it's a good idea to snort them.
Problem is, smoking it can cause cancer.
Original post by LockheedSpooky
Problem is, smoking it can cause cancer.

With tobacco.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
The fact that the chemical in Cannabis is able to does not mean it's a good idea to smoke it
Good job smoking isn't the only option then.

Original post by Rakas21

it has links to mental effects

Everything has links to mental effects you daft sod.

Original post by Rakas21

What it means is that we need to learn how to separate the chemical
Well not if it's most effective as a combination of cannabinoids and not if its not worth while, cannabis is cheap to produce and one of the safest therapeutically active substances.
(edited 8 years ago)
Legalise it.
Original post by DiddyDec

Smoking anything that burns can potentially give you cancer.

Smoking is inherently carcinogenic because of the carbon you're inhaling.

Then vapourise it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Yet cannabis doesn't seem to:

Reply 19
Pretty sad that the argument for legalisation focuses moreoften on the "benefits" of marijuana rather than discourse on individual liberty. Given all the public confusion around the effects of marijuana, I think it would be better to say that it doesn't matter what the effects are, only that it should be the citizen's choice whether they smoke it or not.

That's what you get when potheads try and campaign for something, I guess. Too busy being "omg so high mayn xD" to think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending