The Student Room Group

ONE MARK OFF AN A* IN MATHS GCSE should I get a remark?!?

Hiya i done edexcel maths and i got 154 marks - its 155 marks for an A*. I got 80 on paper 1 and 74 on paper 2.
My examinations officer says that i have to pay 2 x £23 to get both oapers remarked whereas i thought it was just £23 to remark the whole thing. So to save the money i want to remark the paper with the best chance which one should i go for!!

Scroll to see replies

Bump urgent please help
Reply 2
I definitely think you should go for it if you want the A*, unless you feel that you don't need another! If you really want the A* you shouldn't care about the cost too much!
Reply 3
Original post by tahmidislam32
Hiya i done edexcel maths and i got 154 marks - its 155 marks for an A*. I got 80 on paper 1 and 74 on paper 2.
My examinations officer says that i have to pay 2 x £23 to get both oapers remarked whereas i thought it was just £23 to remark the whole thing. So to save the money i want to remark the paper with the best chance which one should i go for!!

I think you should get both remarked. Maths marks change rarely compared to other subjects but a 1 mark change is possible.

Can you not get family to help you pay?
Yeah they can pay i just feel really bad if my grade deosnt change - i really do want another A* and my examination officer siggested to remark one of the papers first and if that doesnt get me a mark then to do the other paper. But the problem is i dont know which paper to get remarked first - paper 1 i felt i could have done better on and paper 2 exceeded my expectations but there are more marks on offer on paper 2!! dilemma
Reply 5
Yeah they can pay i just feel really bad if my grade deosnt change - i really do want another A* and my examination officer siggested to remark one of the papers first and if that doesnt get me a mark then to do the other paper. But the problem is i dont know which paper to get remarked first - paper 1 i felt i could have done better on and paper 2 exceeded my expectations but there are more marks on offer on paper 2!! dilemma

Sounds like it's 50-50.

I'm not sure anyone here can give you good advice about which one to choose. Of course the lower marked paper would be first choice if you don't consider how you felt the papers went.

How did u find out ur mark for edexcel maths? On my results sheet it doesn't give me the marks for edexcel maths?!
I asked my examination officer!!
And yeah its 50/50 for paper 2 i messed up on a graph question and the invigilator ripped that page out and put in the same page from another paper so im feeling they might not have counted my marks for that
Honestly, I think you should leave it as it is. One mark off an A* in Maths is still bloody amazing!. I know you may feel like you deserve to have the A*, feel like you worked hard enough for it, etc but when I did my GCSE's many of my friends were expecting A/A*'s and ended up with a B or something so they paid to get it re-marked and their grade only went down, so realistically they paid however much to lose marks... Basically, despite how sure you are that you got full marks or whatever, you can never be so sure with these things so when you are already one mark off an A* I say you keep it exactly like that. I know you would like to be able to say you got an A*, but when you actually think about it and the future an A instead A* in GCSE Math isn't going to affect your future. You aren't going to miss your chance to get into college/sixth form and you certainly won't be refused from any class because of that one mark.
I would say go for paper two if you believe that the graph question wasn't counted and because it is the lower of the two. If you didn't get any more marks on that paper, try paper one. It's your choice but I would go for it, no matter the cost.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Hiya i appreciate all your comments - the reason why i want the A* so badly is because i want to get into Oxford to study medicine and thats my dream. And the number of A*''s matter to them so thats why i want to add to my total.
Hiya i appreciate all your comments - the reason why i want the A* so badly is because i want to get into Oxford to study medicine and thats my dream. And the number of A*''s matter to them so thats why i want to add to my total.

I have the same dream. I would do anything to get into Oxford and Medicine is the most competitive course. I did my maths this year (one year early) and got an a*.

Follow your dream. Get your welll deserved a*.
If you worked that little bit harder you wouldn't need a remark

I understand that, however it's based on your A-Level results that will get you into university and as I've said already being one mark of an A* won't hold you back for any A-Levels subjects. So you wanting an A* is really much more of a want than need. It's completely your choice what you do and and if you do get it re-marked there's the chance that you will get an A*, however you also need to think really hard about the consequences that may come out with it that could possibly take what you already have away from you.
Reply 15
Original post by Aliiyaaah
Honestly, I think you should leave it as it is. One mark off an A* in Maths is still bloody amazing!. I know you may feel like you deserve to have the A*, feel like you worked hard enough for it, etc but when I did my GCSE's many of my friends were expecting A/A*'s and ended up with a B or something so they paid to get it re-marked and their grade only went down, so realistically they paid however much to lose marks... Basically, despite how sure you are that you got full marks or whatever, you can never be so sure with these things so when you are already one mark off an A* I say you keep it exactly like that. I know you would like to be able to say you got an A*, but when you actually think about it and the future an A instead A* in GCSE Math isn't going to affect your future. You aren't going to miss your chance to get into college/sixth form and you certainly won't be refused from any class because of that one mark.

Surely for £23 it's worth it?
Original post by Mozzatron93
If you worked that little bit harder you wouldn't need a remark

Well no, not exactly. Remarks wouldn't be offered if there wasn't the possibility that the examiner has marked the paper wrong, hence getting a lower grade than deserved.
Original post by notnek
Surely for £23 it's worth it?

Is it worth it if your grade goes from one mark off an A* to an even lower A or even a B though?
(edited 8 years ago)
If you think they may have missed a page out in marking maybe you want to consider a clerical check instead (if they do them at GCSE?). What they'll do is just add up all the marks again and, most importantly, check everything has been marked. It's much cheaper.

Otherwise, you have to consider which paper had the most questions open to interpretation and questions that had 4-5 marks attached to them, because those'll be the ones that may have room to change in a remark.
If you don't go for the remark it could mean the difference between getting into the uni of your choice versus your back up, it will give you that extra edge also it will be more likely that they will find an extra point if you go for the remark on both instead of only remarking 1 of them and find out later that the extra point was on the other so in my opinion it will be worth it and it is probably very easy to just miss one mark when you have been marking all day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending