The Student Room Group

Am I more likely to get into Oxford or Cambridge?

Sorry if this has been spoken about extensively before, it's just hard to tailor that information to my specific case. I want to apply to the English degree.

I know gaining an offer to either is unlikely, but which would I stand a better place of getting into?

GCSE: 4a* 4a 2b
AS:AAAA (88% top 3 UMS average)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*

My GCSE's are very low for Oxford, but I show a clear sign of upwards progression and reckon I could do well on the ELAT.

However Cambridge aren't as interested in GCSE's and my percentage UMS may be able to scrape me an interview.

So which do you think I stand more chance of getting an offer from?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simbasdragon
Sorry if this has been spoken about extensively before, it's just hard to tailor that information to my specific case. I want to apply to the English degree.

I know gaining an offer to either is unlikely, but which would I stand a better place of getting into?

My GCSE's are very low for Oxford, but I show a clear sign of upwards progression and reckon I could do well on the ELAT.

However Cambridge aren't as interested in GCSE's and my percentage UMS may be able to scrape me an interview.

Thanks.

You should apply to whichever course you like best, NOT where you think you are more likely to get in. The one you'd like to go to is the one you're more likely to be accepted to (interviewers look for commitment to the course as offered at that university as well as academic ability).

Despite what some on here believe, best 3 UMS average isn't the be-all and end-all. The average hides some of the detail - which subjects are you studying and what did you get in them? You are likely to be interviewed and aren't an unrealistic candidate.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You should apply to whichever course you like best, NOT where you think you are more likely to get in. The one you'd like to go to is the one you're more likely to be accepted to (interviewers look for commitment to the course as offered at that university as well as academic ability).

Despite what some on here believe, best 3 UMS average isn't the be-all and end-all. The average hides some of the detail - which subjects are you studying and what did you get in them? You are likely to be interviewed and aren't an unrealistic candidate.

Thanks for responding. The issue is that I have no preference of one course over the other and would love to study them equally. Similarly, I have an equal love of the towns themselves and so I'm also unable to choose between them. Therefore, it comes down to me wanting equally to study at each and thus I need to apply to the one I have a greater chance of gaining entry to.

I got:
History(89%)
English Lit(88%) - getting a paper remarked.
Relgious Studies(86%)
Classical Civilisation(81%)- getting a paper remarked.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you get predicted 4 A*'s when you didnt get over 90% UMS and only 2 were close :s
Original post by TunaTunnel
How do you get predicted 4 A*'s when you didnt get over 90% UMS and only 2 were close :s

Because all year I have consistently been getting around 95-100% in all four of my subjects. Two of my subjects are getting remarked and should hopefully go up, and I have been getting A stars on the year 13 work we began after we finished AS exams.

Basically, my teachers are confident that I can get A*'s.
Because all year I have consistently been getting around 95-100% in all four of my subjects. Two of my subjects are getting remarked and should hopefully go up, and I have been getting A stars on the year 13 work we began after we finished AS exams.

Basically, my teachers are confident that I can get A*'s.

If you do, you could apply (possibly again) post-A2's. Three A*'s would guarantee you an interview at Cambridge, for example.
Original post by ageshallnot
If you do, you could apply (possibly again) post-A2's. Three A*'s would guarantee you an interview at Cambridge, for example.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should only apply post A2 and not this year? I don't want to waste a Uni option.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should only apply post A2 and not this year? I don't want to waste a Uni option.

No, I would apply this year as well. As Peterhouse have pointed out, you aren't without a chance as 87% generally gets an interview and your UMS could go up after your remarks. If you get an interview, you will find the experience absolutely invaluable if you decide to apply again after A-levels.

As for 'wasting' a choice, with 4 A's at AS and predictions of 4 A*'s you will almost certainly receive offers from at least three of your other four unis, most probably all of them. (Just don't write 'I want to apply for the English degree' in your PS! :smile:)
No, I would apply this year as well. As Peterhouse have pointed out, you aren't without a chance as 87% generally gets an interview and your UMS could go up after your remarks. If you get an interview, you will find the experience absolutely invaluable if you decide to apply again after A-levels.

As for 'wasting' a choice, with 4 A's at AS and predictions of 4 A*'s you will almost certainly receive offers from at least three of your other four unis, most probably all of them. (Just don't write 'I want to apply for the English degree' in your PS! :smile:)

I will probably apply then, I'd rather not do a gap year which I guess I'd have to if I applied post A2. Thanks so much! Hahaha that last comment made me laugh, I was just scared for some reason that people might mistake me for an international student inquiring about English tests.

Thankyou again.
I will probably apply then, I'd rather not do a gap year which I guess I'd have to if I applied post A2. Thanks so much! Hahaha that last comment made me laugh, I was just scared for some reason that people might mistake me for an international student inquiring about English tests.

Thankyou again.

There's nothing wrong with a gap year if used constructively.

*enquiring :tongue:
There's nothing wrong with a gap year if used constructively.

*enquiring :tongue:

If I had more money then I'd love to! I can't afford to spend the year travelling, and although I know I could get a job and spend a few months saving up, the thought of living at home any longer than necessary is a nightmare. I just want to move out asap and be able to live indepently and without the constant tension and fights at home.

Hope that answered your curiosity. :biggrin:

Thanks.

Hey, I was in the same position as you last year and you actually did better than me in your AS levels. I got AAAB (the B in Eng Lit!) with a 92% average, and now I'm going to Cambridge in October to read English. I would base it off your preferences for the course and ignore what could be 'easier', as you know both are difficult to get into. I decided to apply for Cambridge since I loved the breadth/depth of the course and was put off by the Oxford modules. Also, my GCSEs were 3 A*s, 3 As and 5 Bs, and knew that despite not demonstrating my potential in the ELAT, I could at interview - most Camb colleges require you to sit a written test (which isn't as scary as sounds - I was terrified and actually enjoyed it!)

It is a fact, certainly it seems more with Arts courses, that Cambridge interview more people than Oxford do - my hopes hinged on being able to prove myself despite my B/ 'average' GCSEs through the interview; plus most colleges at Cambridge (I don't know about Oxford) want to see two pieces of written work as part of deciding who to interview, which is great because you can expand on them in interview if you are invited.

'Everyone with a realistic chance of being offered a place is invited to attend an interview. That’s more than 80 per cent of applicants each year.'
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying.

Your UMS averages are highly likely to demonstrate to the admissions tutors that you have potential - if I can get an interview with a B in the subject I was applying for, then you're arguably in a stronger position!

I know from personal experience of my sixth form that Oxford seem initially very strict on who receives an interview, whereas Cambridge reject a lot of people after them - it does seem that Cambridge give candidates with potential the chance to prove it - I can't comment fairly about Oxford as this is just my experience.

PM me if you want to ask anything, from personal statement/interview tips/analysing texts :smile: I know applying feels like a risk, but you could regret it for the rest of your life if you don't take it.
(edited 8 years ago)
If I had more money then I'd love to! I can't afford to spend the year travelling, and although I know I could get a job and spend a few months saving up, the thought of living at home any longer than necessary is a nightmare. I just want to move out asap and be able to live indepently and without the constant tension and fights at home.

Hope that answered your curiosity. :biggrin:

Fair enough.

For Cambridge check out this thread, perhaps ask your own questions:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571
Original post by allypetal
Hey, I was in the same position as you last year and you actually did better than me in your AS levels. I got AAAB (the B in Eng Lit!) with a 92% average, and now I'm going to Cambridge in October to read English. I would base it off your preferences for the course and ignore what could be 'easier', as you know both are difficult to get into. I decided to apply for Cambridge since I loved the breadth/depth of the course and was put off by the Oxford modules. Also, my GCSEs were 3 A*s, 3 As and 5 Bs, and knew that despite not demonstrating my potential in the ELAT, I could at interview - most Camb colleges require you to sit a written test (which isn't as scary as sounds - I was terrified and actually enjoyed it!)

It is a fact, certainly it seems more with Arts courses, that Cambridge interview more people than Oxford do - my hopes hinged on being able to prove myself despite my B/ 'average' GCSEs through the interview; plus most colleges at Cambridge (I don't know about Oxford) want to see two pieces of written work as part of deciding who to interview, which is great because you can expand on them in interview if you are invited.

'Everyone with a realistic chance of being offered a place is invited to attend an interview. That’s more than 80 per cent of applicants each year.'
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying.

Your UMS averages are highly likely to demonstrate to the admissions tutors that you have potential - if I can get an interview with a B in the subject I was applying for, then you're arguably in a stronger position!

I know from personal experience of my sixth form that Oxford seem initially very strict on who receives an interview, whereas Cambridge reject a lot of people after them - it does seem that Cambridge give candidates with potential the chance to prove it - I can't comment fairly about Oxford as this is just my experience.

PM me if you want to ask anything, from personal statement/interview tips/analysing texts :smile: I know applying feels like a risk, but you could regret it for the rest of your life if you don't take it.

This was absolutely amazing, thankyou so much! Out of curiousity did you have any extenuating circumstances or go to a low performing school? I'm scared there might have been a catch which won't apply or be favourable to me hahah.

I reckon I will apply now, thanks again. :smile:
Well done for your amazing success btw!
This was absolutely amazing, thankyou so much! Out of curiousity did you have any extenuating circumstances or go to a low performing school? I'm scared there might have been a catch which won't apply or be favourable to me hahah.

I reckon I will apply now, thanks again. :smile:
Well done for your amazing success btw!

Don't worry, I could've done with this kind of encouragement last year - I was so close to not applying :eek:

No, no catch - I did work my socks off from an average comprehensive to a top grammar for sixth form, but no extenuating circumstances on UCAS or the SAQ (the extra info form you fill in just for Cambridge). I always thought I'd be a wild card to them - I think sometimes they take risks themselves, nevermind just us applicants risking applying! Maybe that's just my lack of self belief :tongue:

I don't think there's anything holding you back :smile:

As I said, please PM if you want to ask anything at all! Wishing you so much luck.
Don't worry, I could've done with this kind of encouragement last year - I was so close to not applying :eek:

No, no catch - I did work my socks off from an average comprehensive to a top grammar for sixth form, but no extenuating circumstances on UCAS or the SAQ (the extra info form you fill in just for Cambridge). I always thought I'd be a wild card to them - I think sometimes they take risks themselves, nevermind just us applicants risking applying! Maybe that's just my lack of self belief :tongue:

I don't think there's anything holding you back :smile:

As I said, please PM if you want to ask anything at all! Wishing you so much luck.

Thanks again :smile:. What college are you going to if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks again :smile:. What college are you going to if you don't mind me asking?

You probably haven't heard of it but Murray Edwards :smile: (All female, modern ahaha) it was my choice though - no college is 'easier' to get into, so bear that in mind when people say things like that, because of the pooling system which is carefully designed by admissions tutors to ensure everyone is at the same standard that they want studying there. Did you go on an open day? I chose my college because although it wasn't obvious, it felt right and I felt at home - I think thats key :smile: Even between Oxford and Cambridge - the place is just as important as the course in most instances! I knew Oxford wasn't right for me just visiting it. This is a big commitment and it took up a lot of effort/time/attention throughout Year 13, make sure you really want the specific place/course as you'll navigate your way through the worry and stress much better :smile:
I have vaguely heard of Murrway Edwards before, I imagine it would have a really nice, intimate atmosphere being all girls.:smile:

You probably haven't heard of it but Murray Edwards :smile: (All female, modern ahaha) it was my choice though - no college is 'easier' to get into, so bear that in mind when people say things like that, because of the pooling system which is carefully designed by admissions tutors to ensure everyone is at the same standard that they want studying there. Did you go on an open day? I chose my college because although it wasn't obvious, it felt right and I felt at home - I think thats key :smile: Even between Oxford and Cambridge - the place is just as important as the course in most instances! I knew Oxford wasn't right for me just visiting it. This is a big commitment and it took up a lot of effort/time/attention throughout Year 13, make sure you really want the specific place/course as you'll navigate your way through the worry and stress much better :smile:

I've been to a study day at Corpus Christi, Cambridge and ones at Mansfield college and St John's at Oxford. I'm leaning towards King's College at Cambridge due to its reputation as being quite lefty and having lively debates, but I've only seen the outside of it. Do you think it's essential for me to visit a King's open day before applying, especially considering that its around a 5 hour train journey each way and I'd have to stay overnight in Cambridge?
(edited 8 years ago)
I have vaguely heard of Murrway Edwards before, I imagine it would have a really nice, intimate atmosphere being all girls.:smile:

I've been to a study day at Corpus Christi, Cambridge and ones at Mansfield college and St John's at Oxford. I'm leaning towards King's College at Cambridge due to its reputation as being quite lefty and having lively debates, but I've only seen the outside of it. Do you think it's essential for me to visit a King's open day before applying, especially considering that its around a 5 hour train journey each way and I'd have to stay overnight in Cambridge?

I was terrified it would be stuffy and catty but I knew I had to be in a more relaxed environment in a hill college, it all comes down to personal preference :smile:

No its not essential at all; you probably got a general feel from staying at Corpus as that's a central college like Kings. In terms of interview prep, certainly look at websites like http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/english.html. I did for my college and the specific information on there particularly regarding their phrasing of who they're looking for helped a lot. Especially with colleges like Kings/Clare for English, don't be disheartened if you get pooled, because they're beautiful colleges well known for the subject and will therefore be oversubscribed. Pembroke is always popular too - this shouldn't put you off; if the admissions tutors want you, they will snap you up :smile: You could take a look at the admissions cycle graphs here: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics.

I'd also recommend this for some resources: http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/cambridgeauthors/.

You have time to properly think things through, even with an early deadline!
I was terrified it would be stuffy and catty but I knew I had to be in a more relaxed environment in a hill college, it all comes down to personal preference :smile:

No its not essential at all; you probably got a general feel from staying at Corpus as that's a central college like Kings. In terms of interview prep, certainly look at websites like http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/english.html. I did for my college and the specific information on there particularly regarding their phrasing of who they're looking for helped a lot. Especially with colleges like Kings/Clare for English, don't be disheartened if you get pooled, because they're beautiful colleges well known for the subject and will therefore be oversubscribed. Pembroke is always popular too - this shouldn't put you off; if the admissions tutors want you, they will snap you up :smile: You could take a look at the admissions cycle graphs here: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics.

I'd also recommend this for some resources: http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/cambridgeauthors/.

You have time to properly think things through, even with an early deadline!

I've heard about how competitive King's in, and I'd be thrilled to get an offer regardless of which college it is from.

Having said, the graph for 2015 King's shows 1200 applicants to under 200 offers, which is a very intimidating statistic. I guess I'll just have to take a risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending