The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Personal maintenance funds in Southampton pcm?

Hi guys

I secured my place at UoS through adjustment after results day so needless to say I did not think I would be going to Southampton. Are there any current students who can give me the minimum estimate of how much per month is enough to cover all finances e.g. rent (private accommodation as my application to halls was unsuccessful), groceries, transport links, stationery/books and etc? Is the cost of living high in Southampton? Please note that I really want to try and live as simply as possible so I would really appreciate the bare minimum cost since the exchange rate is insanely high now. :s-smilie: Help would be appreciated!
Original post by Lilyghz
Hi guys

I secured my place at UoS through adjustment after results day so needless to say I did not think I would be going to Southampton. Are there any current students who can give me the minimum estimate of how much per month is enough to cover all finances e.g. rent (private accommodation as my application to halls was unsuccessful), groceries, transport links, stationery/books and etc? Is the cost of living high in Southampton? Please note that I really want to try and live as simply as possible so I would really appreciate the bare minimum cost since the exchange rate is insanely high now. :s-smilie: Help would be appreciated!

Have you had a look at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/fees-funding/living-costs.page
and http://personal.natwest.com/content/dam/natwest_com/currentaccounts/downloads/student/Natwest%20-%20Student%20Living%20Index%202015.pdf
??

The natwest report shows the breakdown of weekly spend for different cities (so you can get an idea of the maximum you might spend on the things you enjoy or plan to spend a lot of time on by looking at the average spends in other cities).
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Lilyghz
Hi guys

Accommodation - for most shared standard student houses (Portswood is sometimes a little bit cheaper than in Highfield due to the longer walking distance) I would estimate about £350 pcm.
Then you have to chip in for electricity/heating/water/internet which can depend on your usage and your housemates' usage. Minimum at least £20 pcm.
Groceries - again depends on what/how much you buy - minimum probably ~£120 pcm?
Transport - you can buy a uni-link bus pass for the academic year for £255. This isn't really essential though as you can walk in between campus and Portswood and just buy tickets on the bus if you need to get into the city centre etc.
Stationery and books will depend almost entirely on what course you are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending