The Student Room Group

Can I defer my unconditional offer once I have accepted it?

Hi!

I'm due to start studying History of Art MA at the University of York on 28/09 this year. When I was offered the place I was encouraged to accept it quickly or the offer would be potentially snapped up by another student.
I did accept, and have recently been declined for a Career Development Loan through the Co-op bank. I'm now totally stuck; I don't have enough money to pay for my master's and I am under the impression that Barclays would also decline my application for a CDL.
So...I was thinking i might defer my place and save up for a year working full time.

Does anyone know how I would go about this?
Or would I have to reject my offer and reapply next year?
Would York look unfavourably on me next year if i did have to withdraw my place?
Are there any hidden charges/penalty costs seen as I have already enrolled?

Thanks,
Jess :smile:
Reply 1
The procedures vary by university, you'll need to contact York and ask them.
I've deferred entry before but it does depend on the uni.

Would part time study be an option maybe? Allows you to pay for the course more gradually. That's what I'm planning to do.
I deferred my unconditional offer for a Masters at Cardiff due to funding issues, which meant I took a year out to work full time as well. I sent an e-mail to the postgraduate admissions team explaining my financial situation, and the university were really understanding about it. My course start date was changed the same day with no issues at all. They even made and effort to e-mail me every so often to see how everything was going!

Unfortunately they scrapped my course for the next year, but I am now due to start a Masters at Newcastle next month - in the last year, I have managed to save almost all of my rent and tuition fees :smile: At the end of the day, it's not your fault if you feel you cannot finance yourself and I know lots of people in a similar situation - even if York asked you to reapply next year, I'm sure they would be aware of what happened previously and take that into consideration.

Like beautifulbigmacs said, part-time study might be an option as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending