The Student Room Group

International A Level Practicals

Hey Guys,

Im an international student currently living in Malta. I want to take my A levels in Pure Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and to prepare me for the exams, plan to enroll in a distance learning course offered by one of the various organizations. I have, however, hit somewhat of a snag.

Because of the fact that I don't live in the U.K, I cannot complete any of the practicals that are required. I have read about some international programs, but am unable to find any good information on them. I would sit the necessary exams as a private candidate, and would of course travel in order to take them.

So, to my question, is there anyway, as an international student, that I can complete a full a level, AS and A2, without doing the practicals? Do certain accreditation boards offer exemptions or programs for students in my situation?

Thanks a lot for any information.
Original post by PascalSauerborn
Hey Guys,

Im an international student currently living in Malta. I want to take my A levels in Pure Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and to prepare me for the exams, plan to enroll in a distance learning course offered by one of the various organizations. I have, however, hit somewhat of a snag.

Because of the fact that I don't live in the U.K, I cannot complete any of the practicals that are required. I have read about some international programs, but am unable to find any good information on them. I would sit the necessary exams as a private candidate, and would of course travel in order to take them.

So, to my question, is there anyway, as an international student, that I can complete a full a level, AS and A2, without doing the practicals? Do certain accreditation boards offer exemptions or programs for students in my situation?

Thanks a lot for any information.

Hi there,

The good news is yes, it is possible to complete the courses you have chosen without taking the practical element of the science course. International A level Physics and International A level Chemistry assess the practical skills in a written paper rather than an actual practical session, so the who qualification is theory based. You do not need to travel for your exams, you can sit these in Malta too. If you wish to sit your exams in the UK, you will need to complete the UK qualifications, which do require you attend a lab sessions - we do these too, so can help you out :smile:

If however you are planning to attend a UK university to study Science, I would recommend that you attend our A level practical workshops to get some practical experience in the lab, we have a number of students who travel from all over the globe to attend our practical lab sessions, so you will get to meet a diverse mix of people too!

I hope this has helped, if you have any more questions, or would like some more info, just ask :smile:

Matt
LearnOnline
Thanks very much for the Information Matt, I really appreciate it.

I know that the sciences in particular have a lot of coursework involved as well. Is there an exam equivalent/replacement for the coursework as well? Naturally, I've been reading as much about the subject as I can, and its obvious to me that its not as simple as studying the material and then just sitting the exams; once again, however, I cant seem to find much information on the subject. How the process work in terms of coursework and other requirements? Or is that dependent on the testing center? Thanks very much,

Pascal
Original post by PascalSauerborn
Thanks very much for the Information Matt, I really appreciate it.

I know that the sciences in particular have a lot of coursework involved as well. Is there an exam equivalent/replacement for the coursework as well? Naturally, I've been reading as much about the subject as I can, and its obvious to me that its not as simple as studying the material and then just sitting the exams; once again, however, I cant seem to find much information on the subject. How the process work in terms of coursework and other requirements? Or is that dependent on the testing center? Thanks very much,

Pascal

Afternoon Pascal,

The International A levels have been designed specifically with "distance learning" in mind. Please find the links below to the LearnOnline International A level courses. These courses are designed for students who are not able to sit the exams in the UK and the assessments are based on examinations not coursework (we do however set many assignments throughout your course to monitor your progress and help you improve your skills, but these do not contribute to your final mark)

International A level Chemistry
International A level Maths
International A level Physics

I am more than happy to help you with your search for the right qualifications and will answer any additional questions you may have, you can reach me directly via email if you wish - [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you and am sure you will find the courses you are looking for :smile:

Matthew

Quick Reply

Latest