The Student Room Group

Enrolling for classes, no time for lunch, is this an issue?

Hi folks,

I'm starting at Glasgow University in a couple of weeks and I've just taken the time to do the Enrollment and select my classes. I've noticed that due to when the lectures are scheduled, there is no time for lunch at all. From 10am till 2pm every day almost, I'm fully booked and haven't got any time.

Does anyone have any experience with not having time for lunch until 2pm? I don't think it will be a huge issue, but I'd like to hear from people who have done it.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Take a snikers bar with you eat it at 11 job done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe have breakfast at 9 if possible, and buy some of those healthy snack bars for inbetween lectures. But I have done work experience recently and breakfast at 9, working from 10 till whenever I finish (often 2 o'clock) and coming home for lunch was fine.
Eat a breakfast at 9, lunch at 2, what's the problem?
Original post by zyzzyspirit

Was just wondering if people that had long days with no breaks would say it was fine or would recommend not doing it.
Original post by DavidTWco
Was just wondering if people that had long days with no breaks would say it was fine or would recommend not doing it.

What do you usually eat for breakfast?

Mine are generally very filling (meat and side like rice) so I'm not hungry by the time lunch comes around.
In my first year I had a run of classes/lectures from 9am to 3pm on a Monday. Just make sure to eat a good breakfast, and maybe bring a snack along to eat around noon if you feel your concentration slipping. 2pm really isn't that late for lunch, especially if you're not starting lectures until 10am.
Original post by DavidTWco

Sorry? 10-2 isn't a long day. Eat breakfast at 9, eat lunch when you finish at 2. Take a snack bar if you are likely to get hungry in between/to keep your concentration up. It might be annoying that it crosses over the time you would be used to having lunch, but 4 hours without a break is normal (maybe less so for uni, but definitely normal in the working world).
Just bring a cereal bar or something and scoff it in one of your lectures. I do it all the time at school.
I think you'll find that at least one of those classes is somewhat optional
Reply 10
In my second year, I had eight hours of lectures scheduled back to back, 9-5 on a Monday. No breaks scheduled. The reality was that a couple of lecturers never used their full two hour slot, and we usually got a couple of 20-30 minute breaks. That's enough time to hit the restroom, eat a sandwich or drink a coffee.
I'd go with good filling breakfast & take snacks that you can eat quickly. If all the lectures are in the same room, use the gap between the 2nd lecture ending & the third one starting to eat your snack lunch. if lectures are in different rooms, take snacks that you can eat while walking from lecture 2 to lecture 3. Then have a late lunch.
Original post by zyzzyspirit

.that cheat meal tho
I'm having the exact same problem and I have to miss lectures because of this issue. I'm gonna email the timetable department later on today and explain what's going on. It's pretty impossible to go that long without food especially when you get ill from overeating in the morning and you're not allowed to eat in lectures or practicals!
Original post by RachelA7X
I'm having the exact same problem and I have to miss lectures because of this issue. I'm gonna email the timetable department later on today and explain what's going on. It's pretty impossible to go that long without food especially when you get ill from overeating in the morning and you're not allowed to eat in lectures or practicals!

Unless you have medical issues that require you eating at certain times, like diabetes, you shouldn't be missing lectures to eat.

On Thursdays last semester, I had 11am-5pm classes with no break to be able to get food. It's just something you have to deal with
(edited 8 years ago)

If you work lets say in retail you are on your feet for 4 hours without a break.
Like poster above says you will have to deal with it or just eat a snack before the lecture starts i know in my lecture it would take 5 minutes for the lecturer to prepare so people would eat then.
Original post by chikane
If you work lets say in retail you are on your feet for 4 hours without a break.
Like poster above says you will have to deal with it or just eat a snack before the lecture starts i know in my lecture it would take 5 minutes for the lecturer to prepare so people would eat then.

My issue isn't being on my feet for 4 hours, I have anxiety and digestive issues and I find not being able to eat at an actual meal time pretty ridiculous.
Loads of people eat in lectures, like full on lunches.
My issue isn't being on my feet for 4 hours, I have anxiety and digestive issues and I find not being able to eat at an actual meal time pretty ridiculous.

I have anxiety and have suffered from eating disorders, but still managed to cope. If it's really that bad, you can eat in lectures, but not in practicals for obvious reasons.
10-2 is nothing. Go have a decent breakfast and bring a chocolate bar with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending