The Student Room Group

How do I become an algorithmic trader?

I am 19 years old, starting a degree in computer science in September, and it is my goal to pursue a career in algorithmic trading after I graduate. I have Maths and Further Maths at A-Level (did all the stats), and intend on learning extra material during my time at university in order to prepare myself for the career - I will start with linear algebra, vector analysis, differential and integral calculus in the first year, and then move on to statistical modelling and learning the "rules of the game" for financial markets in subsequent years. This will be combined with courses in machine learning, algorithm design, and computational finance over the course of my degree.

My questions are basically about how I intend to privately go about preparing myself for this career both academically and professionally. I am thinking about applying for a summer internship at a bank, but it appears that these are mainly aimed at people who want to get into investment banking - not something I really care about. Would it still be worth doing one? Also, I am wondering about whether the mathematics I intend to learn will be enough/too much, or whether anyone has any specific guidance about how to find out the mathematical requirements for this profession. I intend to go onto a Masters degree which will hopefully give me time to hone the relevant skills, but I'm trying to build a road map here.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I will be attending RHUL. This is not a "target" university, but still good for computer science (especially with my self-taught additions), and to be frank I am more concerned about whether or not I can demonstrably do the job than whether or not other people from my university also do the job. I will also say that my interest in the career is that it is a job which allows me to pursue my passions (mathematics and computer science) in an exciting, ever-evolving and lucrative way - I am not looking at being a "banker" here.

P.P.S I know almost nothing about finance - reading up on it over the summer and learning more each day. Please go easy on the financial terms! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
GET proficient with C++/C/C#

take some financial engineering/ math courses

try to get internship experience
well...... you can build up a linked account and 'stalk' people with quant/algo trading experience.

You might get the answer after checking out their background and experience.
Reply 3
Original post by VannR
I am 19 years old, starting a degree in computer science in September, and it is my goal to pursue a career in algorithmic trading after I graduate.

Awesome - by even considering this at this stage you're ahead of the curve. At this stage I wouldn't limit you're options, there is a good chance you'l change your mind at least a few times at university.

Original post by VannR
My questions are basically about how I intend to privately go about preparing myself for this career both academically and professionally. I am thinking about applying for a summer internship at a bank, but it appears that these are mainly aimed at people who want to get into investment banking - not something I really care about. Would it still be worth doing one?

Definitely should be considering internships within an investment bank - but probably within sales and trading. As a quant / algo trader you still need a detailed understanding of the markets. Internships are also useful for building up the CV and networking with external teams. If not, then something mathematics related would also be useful. I'd start looking at spring insight weeks at all of the bulge bracket banks in your first year - it will help you learn about the industry and work out which teams you should be targeting

Original post by VannR

Also, I am wondering about whether the mathematics I intend to learn will be enough/too much, or whether anyone has any specific guidance about how to find out the mathematical requirements for this profession. I intend to go onto a Masters degree which will hopefully give me time to hone the relevant skills, but I'm trying to build a road map here.

I'd focus on really kicking ass in your degree. Most of the quants that I know of have AT LEAST masters degrees, if not PhDs in maths / physics. The aim should be to learn about the industry while being top of your class. When you go to apply for masters programs this will allow you to focus on target universities.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending