The Student Room Group

Resit high Bs?

Hey guys just wondering if it would be worth resitting exams that I got high Bs in? In 2 exams I got 1/2 marks off an A and I am unsure whether to resit them. I got an A overall in one and a high B overall in the other? If it helps I am hoping for AAA for A2 and I'm resitting 2 exams already
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ozzie2
Hey guys jusy wondering if it would be worth resitting exams that I got high Bs in? In 2 exams I got 1/2 marks off an A and I am unsure whether to resit them. I got an A overall in one and a high B overall in the other? If it helps I am hoping for AAA for A2 and I'm resitting 2 exams already

The thing to remember is that, okay, they're B's, but in the end it's the total UMS that counts. If, instead of resitting, you can work harder to gain 2-3 more marks than you would have done from the A2 exams if you had more exams to do, and you also got an A, it'll all balance out and you should get the grades you want.
Original post by ozzie2
Hey guys jusy wondering if it would be worth resitting exams that I got high Bs in? In 2 exams I got 1/2 marks off an A and I am unsure whether to resit them. I got an A overall in one and a high B overall in the other? If it helps I am hoping for AAA for A2 and I'm resitting 2 exams already

Don't bother resetting, I got a mid B in one of my As levels and didn't resit and still got an A overall
Original post by ozzie2

Hi there,

High B's are very good and are probably only 1 or 2 marks off being an A.

What actually counts with the grades is the UMS mark that you get - for example, if you get 79% UMS in one module, then 81% UMS in another module, then given that the modules are both of equal weighting, you'll end up with 80% overall and an A. So, applying this to your scenario, if you get, for example, 78 UMS and 79 UMS in two modules, then if you are able to get mid to high A's in your A2's (for example, 83 UMS) then the UMS marks will balance out and you'll get an A.

There is also another option - to have your papers remarked - as there will be the possibility of the grade going up by the 1 or 2 marks and you'll then get your A. Having said that, remarks can also result in grades going down, and you'll then have to work harder in your A2s.

Personally... unless it is vital that you have A's in your AS Levels, I'd concentrate on your A2s now - the 1 or 2 UMS that you have dropped can be recovered in the A2 modules and you can still comfortably get an A overall.

Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
x

Original post by lachachacha
x

Original post by spotify95
x

Hey guys thanks for the advice, won't resit those exams and will make it up in A2. I do hope to theoretically get As in the AS levels in both subjects at the end of year 13 due to resitting 2 other exams which will bump up my grade anyway if I do much better as I got Ds in them both.There is also no point in remarking them as they are both maths and biology and I doubt they will change.
Original post by ozzie2
Hey guys thanks for the advice, won't resit those exams and will make it up in A2. I do hope to theoretically get As in the AS levels in both subjects at the end of year 13 due to resitting 2 other exams which will bump up my grade anyway if I do much better as I got Ds in them both.There is also no point in remarking them as they are both maths and biology and I doubt they will change.

In that case, your best bet is to resit those modules that you got Ds in - you'll get an A in your (overall) AS levels no problem if you can improve the Ds to Bs/As. :smile:

Hope it all goes well for you :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by spotify95
In that case, your best bet is to resit those modules that you got Ds in - you'll get an A in your (overall) AS levels no problem if you can improve the Ds to Bs/As. :smile:

Hope it all goes well for you :wink:

Thanks for the advice, just reassured what I wanted to do :smile:

And thank you fingers crossed :biggrin:
Original post by ozzie2
Thanks for the advice, just reassured what I wanted to do :smile:

And thank you fingers crossed :biggrin:

No problem, glad I could be of assistance! Let me know how it all goes and I'll be able to offer more assistance as and when it is required :smile: :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest