The Student Room Group

Will DSA help me fund this?

I am hoping to go to university to study history/law and have dyslexia. While it doesn't significantly impede my reading or spelling it means I have incredibly poor reading comprehension and need to hilight and re-skim read higher level texts in order to feel like I have understood it. While it is possible for me to comprehend something without doing it it takes me around 4x as long as everyone else. Obviously I can't hilight university textbooks/library books and I understand I will be expected to pay for these myself however would it be possible for me to get an additional allowance for things like photocopying seemingly endless amounts of library books/ buying additional reading material? If I can't then I don't expect to be able to work my way through all of the course content in the required time.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by bobbynojeans
I am hoping to go to university to study history/law and have dyslexia. While it doesn't significantly impede my reading or spelling it means I have incredibly poor reading comprehension and need to hilight and re-skim read higher level texts in order to feel like I have understood it. While it is possible for me to comprehend something without doing it it takes me around 4x as long as everyone else. Obviously I can't hilight university textbooks/library books and I understand I will be expected to pay for these myself however would it be possible for me to get an additional allowance for things like photocopying seemingly endless amounts of library books/ buying additional reading material? If I can't then I don't expect to be able to work my way through all of the course content in the required time.
Thanks in advance.

DSA might give you a photocopying allowance or in some cases they ll buy you a scanner so you can save them on your pc at home.
Original post by claireestelle
DSA might give you a photocopying allowance or in some cases they ll buy you a scanner so you can save them on your pc at home.

I concur with this advice - if you need one they'll give you a scanner. I applied for DSA and, due to my printer being obsolete, they provided me with a new printer/copier/scanner. They also gave me a £100 printing allowance for things like ink cartridges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending