The Student Room Group

Dealing with racist/narrow minded parents

I'm British Indian, born and raised in England. My parents immigrated from India. I am 18 and will be going off to university in September. I have become extremely sick and tired of the views my mum and my grandma hold since they always act as if Indians are superior to everyone else in virtually every way. They claim that Indian food is better than all other cuisines. They even make fun of how Mandarin sounds to them and call black people unattractive. They have also given me 'advice' that I should only get an Indian girlfriend because a non indian girl (specifically white) is likely to divorce/break up, won't know how to cook Indian food, aren't attractive or intelligent etc ( . I always get into arguments with them and always say how not everyone's the same and that no one's superior or inferior to anyone else and it is impossible to generalise millions of people like this . I keep getting angry with them because I have no idea how they can hold such outdated views and believe them and I can't see how to make them more open minded since I couldn't care less about skin colour and personally, I am fascinated by international cuisine and languages . They always act respectful in front of non-indians but usually the conversations between them about others are racist. Should I just ignore them or is there something I could do about this? My dad and granddad don't seem hugely concerned but iI think they sympathise with my mum/grandma's views.

Scroll to see replies

I hear you buddy!

I come from pretty much the same sort of background - all of those outdated views etc. of my parents and grandparents generation doesn't wash with me either.

I just ignore it.
I think you should ignore them. Forever? No, just until you're not financially dependent on them. It's great to hear you don't hold their views but the reality of the situation is that they're likely to make your life difficult if you start arguing with them or trying to change their minds - I've seen it happen and it can get ugly. Sometimes, even when you know you're right, you don't need to prove anything to other people. Especially when you have something to lose. I say wait until you're not dependent on them but until then, continue as you are. Sometimes just keeping quiet is enough.

My parents are the same so I can empathise. Outdated views.
Reply 3
it seems to me that all races have a tendency to think that their's is superior xD
Firstly, I would like to congratulate you and shake your hand. You, sir, have shaken free of the intolerant bigotry undertaken by your parents towards other races and religions and think for yourself.
You do not know how good it is to hear of someone fighting for their right to their own opinion and not being controlled.

I feel strongly on this matter - tell your parents that their views are outdated, old fashioned, racist and quite frankly evil. They live in the UK, using our land and public services, and (unlike yourself who clearly integrates) criticise us and claim they prefer their own kind.
They are in England - not India. Tell them you can have a relationship or friendship with whoever they want, and that you aren't interested in being part of their family until they accept that they are Indians living in England and need to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I'm British Indian, born and raised in England. My parents immigrated from India. I am 18 and will be going off to university in September. I have become extremely sick and tired of the views my mum and my grandma hold since they always act as if Indians are superior to everyone else in virtually every way. They claim that Indian food is better than all other cuisines. They even make fun of how Mandarin sounds to them and call black people unattractive. They have also given me 'advice' that I should only get an Indian girlfriend because a non indian girl (specifically white) is likely to divorce/break up, won't know how to cook Indian food, aren't attractive or intelligent etc ( . I always get into arguments with them and always say how not everyone's the same and that no one's superior or inferior to anyone else and it is impossible to generalise millions of people like this . I keep getting angry with them because I have no idea how they can hold such outdated views and believe them and I can't see how to make them more open minded since I couldn't care less about skin colour and personally, I am fascinated by international cuisine and languages . They always act respectful in front of non-indians but usually the conversations between them about others are racist. Should I just ignore them or is there something I could do about this? My dad and granddad don't seem hugely concerned but iI think they sympathise with my mum/grandma's views.

I don't understand why if they dislike everyone who isn't Indian so much, they don't just go and live in India?
Original post by frostyy
it seems to me that all races have a tendency to think that their's is superior xD

No. And thinking one is superior to another human being irrespective of race, religion etc, is the fundamental thinking of a racist. So what are you trying to say? And you are not funny.

Original post by cleverasvoltaire
This is disgusting and completely wrong! Whites and east Asians are the best and blacks the worst. Educate those narrow minded chumps.

Blacks the worst. Do you even know what you are saying? Have you met EVERY black person to say that? I know of an Indian man that likens the academic pursuits of Indians to Africans. Last time I checked, Africans in this country are very intellectually inclined and do well in academics, just like Asians. Don't know why no one comments on this fact.
No. And thinking one is superior to another human being irrespective of race, religion etc, is the fundamental thinking of a racist. So what are you trying to say? And you are not funny.

Blacks the worst. Do you even know what you are saying? Have you met EVERY black person to say that? I know of an Indian man that likens the academic pursuits of Indians to Africans. Last time I checked, Africans in this country are very intellectually inclined and do well in academics, just like Asians. Don't know why no one comments on this fact.

No, I look at rates of crime by race, economic prosperity by country, percentage of the wealthy by race, IQ tests by race, other standardised academic tests by race and several other factors. Overall though you know I'm right.
This also happens with white parents too :frown:

An awful thing to say, but sometimes we really would be better off without the older generation.
Reply 9
Original post by TheWaffle
I don't understand why if they dislike everyone who isn't Indian so much, they don't just go and live in India?

My mum says she wants to go back to India once my brother and iI have graduated and get a job (my dad likes to agree with my mum but his views aren't strong at all and wants to stay). My grandparents are only visiting us from India so they don't live here.

Are you trolling or do you have a mental disability? I'm saying that people from all around the world tend to view themselves as the most gifted, intelligent or whatever - especially those with an older perspective. I didn't say whether that was correct or not. Does that offend you? Or my claim that people of all races are racist is racist?
Original post by phoenixsilver
Firstly, I would like to congratulate you and shake your hand. You, sir, have shaken free of the intolerant bigotry undertaken by your parents towards other races and religions and think for yourself.
You do not know how good it is to hear of someone fighting for their right to their own opinion and not being controlled.

I feel strongly on this matter - tell your parents that their views are outdated, old fashioned, racist and quite frankly evil. They live in the UK, using our land and public services, and (unlike yourself who clearly integrates) criticise us and claim they prefer their own kind.
They are in England - not India. Tell them you can have a relationship or friendship with whoever they want, and that you aren't interested in being part of their family until they accept that they are Indians living in England and need to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't know that Combo had a TSR account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well half of the things they say are right, some of them are opinions so its their matter really. Maybe since you are british born, they are trying to keep the indian culture with you.
No, I look at rates of crime by race, economic prosperity by country, percentage of the wealthy by race, IQ tests by race, other standardised academic tests by race and several other factors. Overall though you know I'm right.

You need to go out more. And no, you are not right.
Original post by frostyy
Are you trolling or do you have a mental disability? I'm saying that people from all around the world tend to view themselves as the most gifted, intelligent or whatever - especially those with an older perspective. I didn't say whether that was correct or not. Does that offend you? Or my claim that people of all races are racist is racist?

So rude and uncalled for. I don't know why people can;t reply back without being insulting. The sentence after the insult explained your stance properly.
So rude and uncalled for. I don't know why people can;t reply back without being insulting. The sentence after the insult explained your stance properly.

I don't know why people are unable of not taking an insult personally. Yeah, I probably did and you probably were a little bit frustrating. People offend themselves on a daily basis, get used to it.
Well half of the things they say are right, some of them are opinions so its their matter really. Maybe since you are british born, they are trying to keep the indian culture with you.

List the things they say which are right.
In 50 years they'll all be dead and things will be better (hopefully).
Original post by MrKmas508
In 50 years they'll all be dead and things will be better (hopefully).

Quite harsh...

We are not equals; unlike you, we did not need to exploit and use violence to industrialize, we used our ingenuity to outsmart you which allowed us to develop our markets within 30 years. Never ever claim that Asians and Whites are the best, the only people on this planet that can be considered the "best" are East Asians. You are inferior; you lag behind in almost every metric and yet you have the nerve to think we are equals?

We could call your children thugs and hooligans by just looking at crime rates, we could call you stupid based on educational statistics and we could call you lazy based on income statistics.

Yet we do not, and that is what makes us better than you.

We do not need to waste our time giving Hispanics, Black people(America) Muslims a bad time, nor do we need to rig society in such a way to give ourselves a glass floor and set other people a glass ceiling just to make sure in the event we're outsmarted and outcompeted we always remain at top. We do not need to suppress people to be at the top and that is what makes us superior

At least other minorities have an excuse as to why they lag behind, but you don't.

One just needs to look to East Asia to see superior economic and political management; superior geopolitical awareness and superior institutional effectiveness. Heck, one can even say the same thing for South East Asia.

The revolution has long been overdue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending