The Student Room Group

Have you done Camp America?

Hello! I'm planning on participating in Camp America in 2017! Can anybody tell me anything about it? Recommend which type of camp to work with? Tell me about their experiences (good & bad)? I'm really looking forward to it! Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhGibson
Hello! I'm planning on participating in Camp America in 2017! Can anybody tell me anything about it? Recommend which type of camp to work with? Tell me about their experiences (good & bad)? I'm really looking forward to it! Thank you! :smile:

I worked with CCUSA, which was a very similar company. Ended up getting placed at a summer camp in Canada, and then went back the following summer. :smile:

I taught ceramics, but there were quite a few of us dotted around in other areas (like camp counsellors and kitchen staff).

There's quite a lot to talk about and I'm a little bit rubbish at summarising things, but if you have any specific questions I'm happy to have a go at helping. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by smileitsjess
I've been to camp twice now and will be going for a third summer in 2016. I used a company called Camp Leaders. If you haven't looked into companies other than Camp America, I'd definitely recommend it. They all provide near enough the same service - help with camp placement, visa, insurance, flights etc - but some companies charge more than others for that service.

Going to camp is, without a doubt, the best decision I ever made. As you can see with me going into my 3rd summer, I am a huge advocate for camp. It's just about the hardest job I've ever done in terms of you being responsible for other peoples' children 24 hours a day for sometimes up to 7/8 weeks but it's beyond rewarding. My camp is a traditional private camp meaning the campers are there for the full 7 week period, living together and participating in a huge range of activities every day (think Parent Trap!). These camps are incredible places but every type of camp has it's rewards.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Hey!

I was just wondering how difficult it is to be placed? I'm starting first year at University doing Law, I have 3 A-Levels in Media, Psychology and English Literature.

I'm pretty good at artsy and creativity, I'm good with editing and directing.. I'm good with kids (I don't have much experience apart from being a mentor and prefect in school). With Camp Leaders how does the payment work? Do you pay it all upfront straight away?

Thanks in advance!
Hey Guys!

We just wanted to say hello! If anyone has any questions or needs any help please let us know!

Much Love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x

11265405_1108709105823979_7450905155841521149_n-1.jpg
Original post by AmeriCamp
Hey Guys!

We just wanted to say hello! If anyone has any questions or needs any help please let us know!

AmeriCamp Team x

Hey! there still time for me to join?:biggrin:
Original post by Mr. Morocco
Hey! there still time for me to join?:biggrin:

There certainly is Mr Morocco (Love your name by the way!)

Just go to www.AmeriCamp.co.uk and click apply. Magical things will happen!

AmeriCamp Team x

11150154_1046931318668425_3913092080360356095_n.jpg
Original post by Agata
Hey!

I was just wondering how difficult it is to be placed? I'm starting first year at University doing Law, I have 3 A-Levels in Media, Psychology and English Literature

Thanks in advance!

Agata

How are you? Can we help at all? Having a media A-level will be very useful if you decided to do AmeriCamp?

AmeriCamp Team x

11696010_1112492232112333_641881149098372042_n.jpg
Reply 7
Agata

How are you? Can we help at all? Having a media A-level will be very useful if you decided to do AmeriCamp?

AmeriCamp Team x

11696010_1112492232112333_641881149098372042_n.jpg

Hello!

Yes I have an A-Level in Media(Grade A). I also have an A-Level in Psychology (Also Grade A) which involved child development and Child Psychology. I was also a prefect and a mentor. How solid would you say my chances are? Also, what are the prices for AmeriCamp?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Agata
Hello!

Yes I have an A-Level in Media(Grade A). I also have an A-Level in Psychology (Also Grade A) which involved child development and Child Psychology. I was also a prefect and a mentor. How solid would you say my chances are? Also, what are the prices for AmeriCamp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are great qualities Agata!

We actually #plACed every single person who completed everything on time for Summer 2015 as well, plus with that experience we would truly love to have you. It is £259 plus third party costs, all of which are on our website www.AmeriCamp.co.uk under the program you pick (that is for camp counselor which is the most popular - and from what you are saying would suit you best)

AmeriCamp Team x
Reply 9
They are great qualities Agata!

We actually #plACed every single person who completed everything on time for Summer 2015 as well, plus with that experience we would truly love to have you. It is £259 plus third party costs, all of which are on our website www.AmeriCamp.co.uk under the program you pick (that is for camp counselor which is the most popular - and from what you are saying would suit you best)

AmeriCamp Team x

Thank you very much! I shall have all today! What is the combined price for the flights?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Agata
Thank you very much! I shall have all today! What is the combined price for the flights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our pleasure! For 2015 the average price was £422 x
Reply 11

So there is no set price like with Camp Leaders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
@AmeriCamp do you need some qualifications to participate?
What's camp America?

Hey I'm also planning on doing Camp America in 2017! I'm like you i'm new to it all.. really scared but so exited!
Hey Guys!

AmeriCamp Team x

Could you please outline the main differences between Camp America and AmeriCamp please? I know i'm going to do one but i'm unsure which one is for me!
Reply 16

And how much do you get paid?
is there any camps where you can start after the 25th of June?

We're so excited you're considering applying for Camp America next year! You can check out all the different camp types here: https://www.campamerica.co.uk/the-experience/types-of-camp and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us!! - Sophie
Original post by Mystery.
What's camp America?

Camp America is a cultural exchange programme which sends people to work 9 week placements on summer camps all across the USA as camp counsellors! It really is an experience like no other! If you have any questions, just let us know - Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest