The Student Room Group

Treating uni like a 9-5/10-6

So I'm going to my 2nd year of uni .
In first year I averaged 68% with panic revision & all nighters .You know the cramming you do 1-2 weeks before the exam & you're hoping the topics you skip don't come up.

However this year I know I have to work hard from day 1 .I am motivated because I have a clearer vision of my future & a 1st class degree would be nice :wink:

Lately I've been thinking of treating uni like a 9-5 Job.
During breaks in the day rather than going back to my flat & napping I should go to the library .On days I finish in the afternoon,study until 5pm.When I have a day off (which is about 4 times a term) study from 9-5 with breaks of course!.
Basically try & establish a routine where I only go back my flat *at the end of the day* to shower ,eat and watch TV.

Has anyone done this before where they treat uni like a 9-5 job mon-fri?
How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Isn't it basically the same as going to school and doing your homework then laying flat on the bed after 5pm? O.O
Reply 2
Original post by NellyMelly
You know the cramming you do 1-2 weeks before the exam & you're hoping the topics you skip don't come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think that's cramming?

Cute.
Reply 3
Original post by Ting Ya
Isn't it basically the same as going to school and doing your homework then laying flat on the bed after 5pm? O.O

Yep! Exactly what I meant applying the school routine at university everyday

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zander01
You think that's cramming?

Cute.

Cramming is studying intensively for a short period of time before an exam.Learning is understanding the material over a period of time.
Going through a 32 lecture module each with 50+ slides ,2 other modules with 25 lectures each is cramming.

I wasn't trying to understand at that point but to get as much information into my head as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I have not started university yet (starting in a couple of weeks), but to be honest I thought that you were supposed to treat your studies like a 9-5 job anyway. Why would you not treat university like a 9-5 job?
Original post by VannR
I have not started university yet (starting in a couple of weeks), but to be honest I thought that you were supposed to treat your studies like a 9-5 job anyway. Why would you not treat university like a 9-5 job?

Wait until you get there and you will understand, so many parties, so much booze, soooo many cute girls/boys.
Reply 7
Original post by VannR

I agree with Billybop,wait till you get there .There is so much going on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recently went back to college in order to get the grades to go to uni. But I decided that on days with an early finish, and even half term I would work til atleast 3pm. I must have been putting twice the amount of work in, compared to some of my class mates. And I never had more than a weekend off. Every half term from Christmas onward, I was in college, doing more work, revising, reading, writing things out. By Easter I actually had a couple of mates who were doing the same thing, which makes it easier.

My GCSEs were mostly B's and C's. My A-levels were D's. Yet this time I got AAB in A-level Math, Chemistry and Biology and that's got me into Universtiy where I wanted too be.

It's definitely worth staying late on days where you finish early. Like, what else are you gonna achieve by going home at say, 1pm and then lying in bed or watching TV. That sure as hell won't get you the grades your looking for.
Reply 9
Original post by TwinnyP
I recently went back to college in order to get the grades to go to uni. But I decided that on days with an early finish, and even half term I would work til atleast 3pm. I must have been putting twice the amount of work in, compared to some of my class mates. And I never had more than a weekend off. Every half term from Christmas onward, I was in college, doing more work, revising, reading, writing things out. By Easter I actually had a couple of mates who were doing the same thing, which makes it easier.

My GCSEs were mostly B's and C's. My A-levels were D's. Yet this time I got AAB in A-level Math, Chemistry and Biology and that's got me into Universtiy where I wanted too be.

It's definitely worth staying late on days where you finish early. Like, what else are you gonna achieve by going home at say, 1pm and then lying in bed or watching TV. That sure as hell won't get you the grades your looking for.

That is amazing!!!!.Truly inspirational :biggrin: .Around Easter it seems the days are going faster & you have so much to get through & no time then it starts stressing you out.
Consistency is key

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cramming is studying intensively for a short period of time before an exam.Learning is understanding the material over a period of time.
Going through a 32 lecture module each with 50+ slides ,2 other modules with 25 lectures each is cramming.

I wasn't trying to understand at that point but to get as much information into my head as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 to 2 weeks isnt a short time though. Try 2-3 days...
Original post by Zander01
1 to 2 weeks isnt a short time though. Try 2-3 days...

When you have over 60 lectures to go through believe me it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also going into the second year of uni and I have a similar mentality.

My plan is to go to the library between lectures. I'll go over what was just covered, maybe look up some questions to practice, but I'm not going to over do it. I think it'd be much more straining than a 9-5 job if you were giving 100% almost all the time.
Reply 13
So I'm going to my 2nd year of uni .
In first year I averaged 68% with panic revision & all nighters .You know the cramming you do 1-2 weeks before the exam & you're hoping the topics you skip don't come up.

However this year I know I have to work hard from day 1 .I am motivated because I have a clearer vision of my future & a 1st class degree would be nice :wink:

Lately I've been thinking of treating uni like a 9-5 Job.
During breaks in the day rather than going back to my flat & napping I should go to the library .On days I finish in the afternoon,study until 5pm.When I have a day off (which is about 4 times a term) study from 9-5 with breaks of course!.
Basically try & establish a routine where I only go back my flat *at the end of the day* to shower ,eat and watch TV.

How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is one studying?
Original post by gman10
What is one studying?

pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
I'm also going into the second year of uni and I have a similar mentality.

My plan is to go to the library between lectures. I'll go over what was just covered, maybe look up some questions to practice, but I'm not going to over do it. I think it'd be much more straining than a 9-5 job if you were giving 100% almost all the time.

I so agree!The thing is I start at 9 everyday & finish at 4 with maybe 1-2hrs sometimes 3hrs in between so a 9-5 will be 2/3-4 hours of study a day.
I don't want to be a prisoner of my work & then burn out.I'll try it out the first month & see how it goes .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems a bit wasteful to set an arbitrary amount of time towards studying. Surely it's better to allocate time depending on your current workload and understanding of the material.
I so agree!The thing is I start at 9 everyday & finish at 4 with maybe 1-2hrs sometimes 3hrs in between so a 9-5 will be 2/3-4 hours of study a day.
I don't want to be a prisoner of my work & then burn out.I'll try it out the first month & see how it goes .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you and me both :smile: good luck.
Yep! Exactly what I meant applying the school routine at university everyday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I'd say go ahead and do it if it worked for you in school too!
I've always been tipped to do a routine like that for university too! Go ahead! Good luck! :smile:
One of my housemates did this - he'd work 9-5 every day of the week, then have the weekends and evenings mostly off (except during busy times). I think it worked quite well for him, but he stuck to it religiously. Every morning he'd be up early and out the house. It gives you structure, but it doesn't work for everyone. A lot of students work better in the evenings for example. I certainly think some sort of study timetable is a good plan - though lots of people have these and they're gone within weeks of starting back at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending