The Student Room Group

A level art

Hi I'm not sure whether to take art a level next year. I was predicted an a* at GCSE but got an a, I spent loads of time on art so was kinda a little disappointed because my teacher made me feel like I was definitely going to get my target grade. So now I'm wondering whether I won't be good enough for a level as I know I won't be able to spend as much time on it as my other courses will be more demanding.
Has anyone taken a level art and can give me some advice for next year?
Thanks
Original post by Cardboard123456
Hi I'm not sure whether to take art a level next year. I was predicted an a* at GCSE but got an a, I spent loads of time on art so was kinda a little disappointed because my teacher made me feel like I was definitely going to get my target grade. So now I'm wondering whether I won't be good enough for a level as I know I won't be able to spend as much time on it as my other courses will be more demanding.
Has anyone taken a level art and can give me some advice for next year?
Thanks

If you love it and have time to spend on it, then you could do it. I wouldn't worry about not being good enough!

You have to be aware that the body of work you're expected to produce means that it takes up a lot of your time. I did art and spent pretty much all my free time doing it - I'd be in the studio in my free blocks and be doing art from when I got in from school till when I went to bed. I was able to manage with my other subjects because I didn't find them as demanding, but it depends what your other subjects are!
At a level, I'd say it's not really a subject that you can spend a little bit of your time on, because of the amount of work
Original post by bumblebee342
If you love it and have time to spend on it, then you could do it. I wouldn't worry about not being good enough!

You have to be aware that the body of work you're expected to produce means that it takes up a lot of your time. I did art and spent pretty much all my free time doing it - I'd be in the studio in my free blocks and be doing art from when I got in from school till when I went to bed. I was able to manage with my other subjects because I didn't find them as demanding, but it depends what your other subjects are!
At a level, I'd say it's not really a subject that you can spend a little bit of your time on, because of the amount of work

Thanks for your reply. What other subjects did you take, I'm thinking of taking maths,chemistry and biology as well do you think that these are subjects that are ok for Doing with art?
Thanks
Oops, misread this as A Level fart.
Original post by Cardboard123456
Thanks for your reply. What other subjects did you take, I'm thinking of taking maths,chemistry and biology as well do you think that these are subjects that are ok for Doing with art?
Thanks

A couple of people I know who did art with sciences found it difficult, but I suppose it depends on the person. Someone in my class did sciences and art (not sure about their 4th subject) and dropped art after AS. I did English, history and psychology so it was pretty different. You could always talk to teachers or someone who sorts out options and ask about this combination. It would be possible I'm sure, but the amount of work is what to be aware of!
I did art, physics and maths this year. If you enjoy art, I'd say do it, but make sure you're prepared for the January and April deadlines because they can sneak up on you and cause massive problems. Try not to leave the final pieces of work to the last second like I did because I ended up totally burning out.

I got an A* in the end but that was only because of how much time I put into it. Can't say the same for my other subjects.

Another tip: If you have a part time job while you're doing your A-levels, cut down on hours during January and April.
Thank you everyone who has replied it has been really helpful. I have my sixth form interview tomorrow so fingers crossed! 😀

Quick Reply

Latest