The Student Room Group

What are the best A level choices for medicine, pharmacy or optometry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by X_s
I had an offer from Cardiff! But instead chose St George's as its london and closer to home

Thats amazing, im sure you will love St georges, Cardiff just felt right for me. Its teaching is world class and the facilities are outstanding!

good luck with med school, I may see you on the wards some day!
Reply 21
Maths is fundamental for every science degree and some A Level subjects like Chemistry.
Original post by Natalierm2707
This is not true, only oxbridge require 3 science subjects...

You are right. I used this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

but misread the top of Cambridge's requirements as those of Bristol. Silly me.
Original post by X_s
I had an offer from Cardiff! But instead chose St George's as its london and closer to home

since when do unis look at gcses? I was in slovenia then. dont have gcses. I thought A level is the onnly req for uni?''
Original post by aleksanderkrout
I dont have GCSEs....I have the slovenian equivalent. All subjects I got A, except for math. got C

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Bristol and St. Andrews say that if the applicant is not taking A Level Maths, they have to have a B grade at GCSE Maths. So if you are considering any of these universities, and there may be others you need to research you will have to do A Level Maths, or resit GCSE equivalent Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rek'Sa
Maths is fundamental for every science degree and some A Level subjects like Chemistry.

Maths A-level is not fundamental to studying biology as an undergraduate, nor is it to medicine.
Original post by X_s

Me too, I had an offer from Cardiff, but chose Liverpool as it's closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi
im alex. im from slovenia and currently starting with A levels. I chose:
1) Biology
2) Chemistry
3) Psychology

and for the 4th subject I am currently choosing between
1. Govt. and Politics
2. History
3. Law

My first choice is Medicine. Optometry is my 2nd choice and Pharmacy 3rd
Are these good subjects?I would like to avoid Maths as much as possible.

Most people on here are misinformed, most universities would require Chemistry and Biology onto A2 level, and the third subject can be a facilitating subject. There are only a few universities that are an exception to this such as Oxbridge. In most cases, psychology also counts as a social science as well. In most cases it's a myth that you require Maths to get into medicine or for interviews. There is a useful guide on the student room giving you the requirements for medicine in regards to each university and at the bottom it talks about some of the misconceptions as well. Here's the link to that page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Good luck
Original post by Krishy:)
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Bristol and St. Andrews say that if the applicant is not taking A Level Maths, they have to have a B grade at GCSE Maths. So if you are considering any of these universities, and there may be others you need to research you will have to do A Level Maths, or resit GCSE equivalent Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am applying to UCLAN in Preston, Lanc.
Original post by Rek'Sa

Have you just missed every other post in this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Improving your Maths, will also help with entrance exams such as BMAT and UKCAT, and may even help during MMI interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
since when do unis look at gcses? I was in slovenia then. dont have gcses. I thought A level is the onnly req for uni?''

It depends when you apply and which medical schools you apply to.

Cardiff I know use GCSE all the time, but if you apply once you have gotten your Alevel results they may be used instead.

Often though you still must have a minimum of a grade B in GCSE maths if it wasnt taken at Alevel.
Original post by Krishy:)
Me too, I had an offer from Cardiff, but chose Liverpool as it's closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you know the admissions process well then!!

so why are you saying that maths/physics is needed/looks better? Its just false?
Also if you look at the statistics for e.g. Manchester, 68% of offer holders had Maths to at least AS Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1440586286.832092.jpg

Imperial Statistics 63.5% of applicants had A Level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
you know the admissions process well then!!

so why are you saying that maths/physics is needed/looks better? Its just false?

Although some universities may say it is not a requirement, many favour applicants with Maths or Physics A Level, as shown by statistics. Especially because this person only has a C grade at GCSE equivalent Maths. I do not think that Cardiff will give this person an interview with a C at GCSE Maths. I am trying to help this person by advising them to get a good grade at AS Maths, so that they stand a better chance of getting an interview at a university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I know a fair well about the application process as i too hold an offer from Liverpool this year. It is true what the earlier posts are saying that the 3rd academic subject does NOT have to be maths and in no way influences your chances of gaining a place at medical school. HOWEVER, from my research online and looking at stats a large majority of people who are at medical school do have a level maths. BUT that does not mean they were FAVOURED in anyway. Its just thats its natural to choose maths if you are doing science subjects as it forms a big part in a2 biology and chemistry. So yeah maths/physics is not essential. Biggest thing i learnt in biology this year from looking at stats is the old cliche 'correlation does not prove causation' lol. (got an A* in biology by the way). Im sure some aqa biologists will get the pun.

All the best!
Original post by alanconnel
Hi,

I know a fair well about the application process as i too hold an offer from Liverpool this year. It is true what the earlier posts are saying that the 3rd academic subject does NOT have to be maths and in no way influences your chances of gaining a place at medical school. HOWEVER, from my research online and looking at stats a large majority of people who are at medical school do have a level maths. BUT that does not mean they were FAVOURED in anyway. Its just thats its natural to choose maths if you are doing science subjects as it forms a big part in a2 biology and chemistry. So yeah maths/physics is not essential. Biggest thing i learnt in biology this year from looking at stats is the old cliche 'correlation does not prove causation' lol. (got an A* in biology by the way). Im sure some aqa biologists will get the pun.

All the best!

Is there a lot of math in a level biology? the math part of chem is easy
Reply 38
Is there a lot of math in a level biology? the math part of chem is easy

There's literally no math in a level bio, very very very basic stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Pharmacy, you NEED Chemistry and ideally at a B grade or above. One other science (including maths) and the other subject can be anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending